Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,390 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 04, 2014, 09:19:33 PM
The last time DH did a multi-comic crossover, back in '09/'10, quite a bit of time elapsed between series as well (particularly Predator and AvP), so it's not beyond reason to think that the Alien series could take place a ways after Prometheus.

Yeah, Three World War... I should know, I have a majority of the Predator comics and the Alien vs Predator comics which were companion pieces. I didn't bother in collecting the Alien ones though.

And yeah, you have a point there indeed.. As much as I may not like it, you have a point.

Ultramorph

I'm think that the whole "one larger story" and "each standing on its own" contradictions will be resolved this way: the whole 16-issue arc (assuming 4 issues each) will broadly deal with what happens on LV-223 as a result of the meddling by the crew of the Prometheus, but each one will be set at different points in the series chronology. As much as I hate to be a downer, when DH says things like "characters from one series will cross over to others!" I remember that with both TWW and Xenogenesis, that basically amounted to passing references, short flashbacks, or characters drudging up old video recordings. We'll have to wait and see, though.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I've always been fascinated with Predator fans, what makes them so appealing Rakai?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 04, 2014, 09:27:09 PM
I've always been fascinated with Predator fans, what makes them so appealing Rakai?

You wouldn't like my answer if I gave it to you.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

They're human right? Lol

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 04, 2014, 09:39:59 PM
They're human right? Lol

All I'll say is this.. I like how they are such physical power houses. I like their technology. I most certainly like their design. I think their culture is actually pretty cool. I like the fact that they have a sense of honor, or rather-- a set of guidelines and ethics.

What really cinched it for me was Perry's characterization of the Predators. He made them more than just mindless blood thirsty monsters which "RRRAAAAWRRR!! RAAAWWWWRR!! BLOOD, NEED BLOOD!! GUUUUSSH!" which some people want them to be and how many others assume them to be these evil guys who just kill for the sake of killing.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

That's fine, I think there should be two types however,  not one more superior than the other or anything.
But one which is just "Need blood."

And another that does have a code of honor.

It's actually one of the things I really like about Predators.
Despite a lot of the rest being weaker.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 04, 2014, 09:56:03 PM
That's fine, I think there should be two types however,  not one more superior than the other or anything.

That's what the idea of Bad Bloods was there for. You had Predators who were like John Wayne Gacy or Jeffrey Dahmer. These guys were really psychotic, even by Predator standards.

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 04, 2014, 09:56:03 PM
It's actually one of the things I really like about Predators.
Despite a lot of the rest being weaker.

I just felt like the idea of the Super Predators was really unnecessary. And the idea of the whole sub-species, that has always been around since Predator 2 and not really a new concept.. but PREDATORS sort of acted like the idea was new and just took it to an unnecessary extreme. You might disagree with me on that though.

But yeah, the rest of the film was.. pretty weak.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Yeah but I like that they're their own clan instead of simply being outlaws.

"Super" is pretty stupid though yeah.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 04, 2014, 10:04:10 PM
Yeah but I like that they're their own clan instead of simply being outlaws.

Actually, they are outlaws according to Robert Rodriguez in a Hungarian magazine interview and he said that the mainstream Predators dump their outcast there but the Super Predators use it as a hunting ground. I know that statement was mentioned here on this forum but I am not going to search endless threads for it.

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 04, 2014, 10:04:10 PM
"Super" is pretty stupid though yeah.

Never was needed. I honestly do not understand the appeal of these creatures whom I dub as PINOs.

But yeah... as far as these new comics are concerned.. Look, it seems that it's all very Prometheus/Alien centric. I understand that since it's supposed to be set in the distant future but when it comes to Predator-- I hope that they don't change the core concepts which have become so ingrained into the character. We have two books which changed the core concepts and that was the Hish mythos. So.. as far as stories are concerned, they can do what they want as long as they don't change the concepts of the Predator, at least not too much anyway.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 04, 2014, 09:48:03 PM
He made them more than just mindless blood thirsty monsters
I thought the original movie did a good enough job of that already.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2014, 10:33:49 PM
I thought the original movie did a good enough job of that already.

Well yeah, that is true.. But it kept them more in line with the idea of hunting for sport rather than honor.

That's something I need to remember more often. Thanks for the reminder.

SM

SM

QuoteNDAs are funny like that.

They are truly  blessing and a curse.

Ultramorph

I tweeted at Alien: Isolation asking "Any chance we see Amanda Ripley in anything else this year, like comics?" They haven't responded and I doubt they will.

RakaiThwei

I would think that's something you would have to ask either Dark Horse or Fox.. but I'm sure the silence would just be all the same.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed