Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,337,947 times)

Alien³

Alien³

HQ.

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 13, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
4Chan claims to have the plot.

Fake.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 29, 2017, 09:39:18 PM
HQ.

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 13, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
4Chan claims to have the plot.

Fake.

I hope so!

Spoiler
The indorapter killing the T Rex sounds anti-climatic and to be blunt a bit of a slap in the face
[close]

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

Spoiler
There's no way they would kill Rexy that way after JP///. The Baryonyx going out that way is more likely.

In JP/// the Spinosaurus was scripted to die by Velociraptor pack, but it got cut due to the budget. They may have recycled it like that motorcycle sequence with the Raptors in Jurassic World. A variation of that was intended for The Lost World but it got cut in pre-production. Then it came so close to being in JP/// they made toys for it. I could see them retooling the Spino/Raptor sequence for the Baryonyx.
[close]

Naginata

Naginata

If rumors and ridiculous fan analysis are anything to go by, this movie looks to have Carnotaurus, Baryonyx and Allosaurus in it. Garbage screenplay or no, I'm there opening night. I'm so there it hurts.

genocyber

genocyber

The raptors in the JP movies seem utterly fearless in the face of a bigger prey, which if you're trying to sell us on how dinosaurs would act they would be miles away from any T Rex or larger predator than them.

Naginata

Naginata

The accuracy ship has pretty much sailed, though. The raptors are also larger, smarter and way less fluffy than they would have been in real life, to say nothing of their door-opening mutant hands. This is actually a plot point in the books; the 'dinosaurs' are genetically engineered facsimiles of what people assume dinosaurs were like rather than straight clones.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Naginata on Dec 30, 2017, 10:54:37 PM
The accuracy ship has pretty much sailed, though. The raptors are also larger, smarter and way less fluffy than they would have been in real life, to say nothing of their door-opening mutant hands. This is actually a plot point in the books; the 'dinosaurs' are genetically engineered facsimiles of what people assume dinosaurs were like rather than straight clones.

Exactly! Grant mentions this in JP3 -
" Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less. "

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Naginata on Dec 30, 2017, 10:54:37 PM

They forfeited accuracy when they dropped the nuances of the books and just made the Deinonychus a "velociraptor". The book at minimum explains the reasoning behind this. The films completely dropped it. We're watching deinonychus get called "raptors".

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: genocyber on Dec 30, 2017, 10:34:41 PM
The raptors in the JP movies seem utterly fearless in the face of a bigger prey, which if you're trying to sell us on how dinosaurs would act they would be miles away from any T Rex or larger predator than them.

Not necessarily.

Some animals don't factor size into their instinct to attack/defend.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Indeed, I see small birds attack hawks in my yard to protect their nests.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Dec 31, 2017, 02:14:46 PM
Indeed, I see small birds attack hawks in my yard to protect their nests.

http://staff.washington.edu/meganw/boy/samneill2.jpg

Heh, that pic is from hiw encounter with the Billy Zaneosaurus.  :laugh:

Naginata

Naginata

Quote from: Gate on Dec 30, 2017, 11:16:25 PM
They forfeited accuracy when they dropped the nuances of the books and just made the Deinonychus a "velociraptor". The book at minimum explains the reasoning behind this. The films completely dropped it. We're watching deinonychus get called "raptors".

I hate to say it, but they probably didn't want to bog down the movie with long-winded lectures that most of the audience won't understand or care about. Jurassic Park is a finely tuned machine of a movie; I love Michael Crichton's original novel, but a lot of it wouldn't translate well to screen.

... Also, "Velociraptor" sounds cooler.  :P

theiss2003

theiss2003

From Wikipedia:

"Deinonychus antirrhopus is one of the best-known dromaeosaurid species, and is a close relative of the smaller Velociraptor, which is found in younger, Late Cretaceous–age rock formations in Central Asia. The clade they form is called Velociraptorinae. The subfamily name Velociraptorinae was first coined by Rinchen Barsbold in 1983 and originally contained the single genus Velociraptor."

Basically this means that at the time Crichton wrote the first book, Deinonychus antirrhopus was in fact a species within the single genus Velociraptor, hence the naming.

Later it was finally put it in it's own genus Deinonychus.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Gate on Dec 30, 2017, 11:16:25 PM
They forfeited accuracy when they dropped the nuances of the books

Accuracy is overrated.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

Quote from: theiss2003 on Jan 04, 2018, 01:10:54 PM
From Wikipedia:

"Deinonychus antirrhopus is one of the best-known dromaeosaurid species, and is a close relative of the smaller Velociraptor, which is found in younger, Late Cretaceous–age rock formations in Central Asia. The clade they form is called Velociraptorinae. The subfamily name Velociraptorinae was first coined by Rinchen Barsbold in 1983 and originally contained the single genus Velociraptor."

Basically this means that at the time Crichton wrote the first book, Deinonychus antirrhopus was in fact a species within the single genus Velociraptor, hence the naming.

Later it was finally put it in it's own genus Deinonychus.

In the first novel, Grant asked Henry Wu about the genus of the raptors and Wu said that they were mongoleinsis. Grant comments that the raptor they were excavating in Montana was an antirrhopus. I always found the distinction fascinating.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed