Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,337,642 times)

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 02, 2011, 01:31:24 PM
Downsides of Jurassic Park III for me, essentially, are --

-The forced 'new king' of the Island, I'm no Fanboy who whines over that, but I felt it was forced, and how the Spinosaurs kills the T.Rex is just... I dunno, too human for an animal like that? The Spinosaurus feels way too territorial too;

-The absurdly superficial and far-fetched ending with the soldiers and all that.

bingo

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

One word for you silly geese:

Spoiler
ALAN
[close]

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Keg on May 02, 2011, 01:37:07 PM
Johnston is clearly a good director and i'd happily have him back for a sequel if the story is alot better. Nobody would question Spielbergs credentials but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was still a stinker at times. Doesnt make him a bad director. Its too easy to blame the director all the time and I think in this case the director wasnt solely at fault. I thought he did a great job with what he had and directing wise he did an excellent job. Its just a shame the story and the ending was so disapointing.

There was a time in hollywood (before the 60s I think) where people while judging a movie get angry towards the production.
Nowadays it's totally reversed and people blame the directors in most cases. I think it's due to the fact the Director's name in credits has been pushed in first place which wasn't the case in many movies before, most of the credits were dedicated to the screenwriters and the production.

I guess Hollywood got bored of being attacked everytime a film was cut down because of the way the production wanted it.
The main problem in JPIII is clearly the production, which may have touched the script a bit if not a lot.
Still, I thought it was a decent movie, not as good as the previous one IMO, but still good, thanks to the director and the crew performance on set. There were some memorables moments in it.  ;)

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on May 02, 2011, 08:15:25 PM
One word for you silly geese:

Spoiler
ALAN
[close]

You know, I may not like JP3 overall — but I will admit that's one of the most incredible moments ever captured on film.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I haven't seen JP3 in years, but when I saw it in theaters as a kid, I loved it.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Same here, dug it before I knew better. Watched it again maybe a year ago, and, well...let's just say I've got no plans to watch it again.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Alienseseses on May 02, 2011, 10:36:46 PM
I haven't seen JP3 in years, but when I saw it in theaters as a kid, I loved it.

same. I watched it again about a year ago. Its fun, but its no  Jurassic Park.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Totally.
And Jonston made JPIII better than it could've been based on the story alone.
The reveal of the Pteranodon is one of the best scenes in the series, and I also really like the first encounter with the Raptor in the laboratory. There's plenty of other great scenes too.
-The forced 'new king' of the Island, I'm no Fanboy who whines over that, but I felt it was forced, and how the Spinosaurs kills the T.Rex is just... I dunno, too human for an animal like that? The Spinosaurus feels way too territorial too;
-The wonky premise of the storyline, could've got that off better;
-(minor) great discontinuity in the representation of Isla Sorna;
-The absurdly superficial and far-fetched ending with the soldiers and all that.

The Pteranodon scene was 1 of 2 memorable moments from the film. The second being the Spino chase at the fence. I liked the use of the phone's ringing as a kind of allusion to the crocodile from Peter Pan.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 03, 2011, 08:13:19 PM
Totally.
And Jonston made JPIII better than it could've been based on the story alone.
The reveal of the Pteranodon is one of the best scenes in the series, and I also really like the first encounter with the Raptor in the laboratory. There's plenty of other great scenes too.

The Pteranodon scene was 1 of 2 memorable moments from the film. The second being the Spino chase at the fence. I liked the use of the phone's ringing as a kind of allusion to the crocodile from Peter Pan.
A nice moment indeed. Always reminded me of the classic urban legend about a dog that swallows a new phone. Ends the same way. Dog goes and girl digs through the stuff and finds it in working order.
Richard Roeper mentioned that in his book on urban legends.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I like Ceratosaur moment. Good comedic moment that worked well.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Not to mention it just popped out of thin air, having not existed in The Lost World.

It really was a lame, and poorly done reason to get Grant back to the island. And who the f**k thinks "OH! We have our highly trained mercenaries, now lets get a paleontologist who knows a lot about dinosaurs, and has been to an island with them, that ISN'T EVEN THE ONE WE'RE f**kING GOING TO!". I hated the story.

Ugh, I know. That's a pretty big one for me. I loved how boreal Isla Sorna looked in The Lost World, and I liked it as much (and in some ways more) as Isla Nublar in JP (each for different reasons). The island just didn't look interesting or cool to see the dinosaurs in at all in JP III. It was a complete different environment. Bullshit.

Goes without saying. That disgusted me when I was seven.

Keg

Keg

For me the whole thing with the satellite phone being swallowed by the Spino was f**king ridiculous. Its actually my biggest gripe with the film. So you can hear it ringing perfectly loud and clear as if its in your pocket when its inside of a mahoosive dinosaur standing over a football field away?

Its been a while but that right there deserves a comeback from old Tommy.

I enjoy the film, its entertaining to watch, the ending is piss poor and the Spino and T-Rex thing is handled badly but I still like it. The phone thing though is my biggest gripe. Its just too cartoonish and ridiculous to believe.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

They really wasted the whole "lone survivor" concept there.

The best i can think of is some lame crossbreed of Turok, Stalker and Tresspaser and i am still firmly convinced it would be better just for that.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I would have preferred a longer, more drawn out T.Rex/Spino fight at the end, when Kirby was hanging from the crane. Would've been more intense.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Space Sweeper on May 03, 2011, 08:32:36 PM
Not to mention it just popped out of thin air, having not existed in The Lost World.
Totally, I used to wonder a lot about the Spinosaurus' (and some others, too) sudden appearence too. I came to the conclusion that... there are countless speculations over how the f**k did that thing pop out, the film doesn't really go further than a blunt mention on the matter; but after all, we do see an Anatotitan skull, not seen alive anywhere, in the second flick; they just needed something new and fresh to make the film appeal to the audiences more. Also, Horner shot so much bullshit about the Spinosaurus in the making of that a cow with diarrhea could not compete with him. ::)
A positive factor, though, would be that the film is one of the first forms of media portraying the Spinosaurus in a (mostly, as in all the other dinosaurs) realistic reconstruction of its anatomy; beforehand, the most knew the Spinosaurus as, basically, a Tyrannosaurus with a sail on its back. The film helped to dismantle this belief.

Ugh, I know. That's a pretty big one for me. I loved how boreal Isla Sorna looked in The Lost World, and I liked it as much (and in some ways more) as Isla Nublar in JP (each for different reasons). The island just didn't look interesting or cool to see the dinosaurs in at all in JP III. It was a complete different environment. Bullshit.
In reality I am a f**king nut when it comes to the Inter-continuity between two films, things like this are equal to changing an actor, a real sore thumb for me. I am sure some locations in III are the same as those of the first film, I still wonder why they did not go back to the original locations; when I saw the film I was confused, the writing said Sorna, but it looked like Nublar.
I am not talking about the island only, too. Some creatures lack continuity in appearence! I can understand, say, different color schemes, but why do Raptors suddenly have quills? Why do Pteranodons have teeth (when, ironically, Pteranodon means 'wings and toothless')? Those changes were made for a reason or the other, more accurate for the Raptors for example, but why don't they bother just to explain it just with a small mention?
I have just learned that I do not have to include that into my valuation of the flick.

Goes without saying. That disgusted me when I was seven.
LOL, first time I saw it I was like '...eh? Soldiers?!' xD

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed