Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,453 times)

RakaiThwei

I just got in touch with Christopher Sebela on his Tumblr. I inquired him about the Super Predators. He gave out a pretty funny answer, but none the less it's straight forward.

QuoteA question in regards to the new comics. I have been having a debate with some fans and some are saying that the Black Super Predators may make an appearance. As someone who didn't enjoy PREDATORS, I'm hoping this isn't the case but I have to ask in order to have this debate settled. Are the Super Predators going to be featured? Also, some discussion also has brought up whether these stories are interconnected one shots or they are consisting of limited series. Which is the case?

I was gonna be coy and say "you'll have to read the book!" and blah blah blah, but no, no Super Predators. However there will be Baby Predators, Pony Predators, Predators Who Look Like Tom Baker, Tea Party Predators, Liberal Hollywood Predators, Mecha-Predators, Predator-Human Hybrids, Predator Ghosts and the first Predator President of the United States of America.

And for your second question, I was a little unclear. If you mean the AvP book, it's one story. If you mean the whole project, each book is its own story, but all the stories are interconnected to form a larger, complete story.

So there you go.. No Super Predators.

-Rakai'Thwei

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 17, 2013, 08:50:49 PM
I just got in touch with Christopher Sebela on his Tumblr. I inquired him about the Super Predators. He gave out a pretty funny answer, but none the less it's straight forward.

QuoteA question in regards to the new comics. I have been having a debate with some fans and some are saying that the Black Super Predators may make an appearance. As someone who didn't enjoy PREDATORS, I'm hoping this isn't the case but I have to ask in order to have this debate settled. Are the Super Predators going to be featured? Also, some discussion also has brought up whether these stories are interconnected one shots or they are consisting of limited series. Which is the case?

I was gonna be coy and say "you'll have to read the book!" and blah blah blah, but no, no Super Predators. However there will be Baby Predators, Pony Predators, Predators Who Look Like Tom Baker, Tea Party Predators, Liberal Hollywood Predators, Mecha-Predators, Predator-Human Hybrids, Predator Ghosts and the first Predator President of the United States of America.

And for your second question, I was a little unclear. If you mean the AvP book, it's one story. If you mean the whole project, each book is its own story, but all the stories are interconnected to form a larger, complete story.

-Rakai'Thwei

That quote was beyond confusing, was it an interview or someone talking to himself? ???  Assuming it's true, I have this to say:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wanted to see the Super Predators take on the Aliens and the Engineers.  Wow, what a way to rip fans off of what could have been an awesome fight.  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

RakaiThwei

Sorry about that, I tried to quote it and just copy and pasted it. Anyway, if you want the link to the question and answer:

http://thoughtpeach.tumblr.com/post/70316817776/a-question-in-regards-to-the-new-comics-i-have-been

-Rakai'Thwei

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 17, 2013, 08:50:49 PM

-Rakai'Thwei
Internet high-five! I'll just have to wait for the BSP to be slaughtered in some other media... I have played through AvP Evolution and I like the story. In looking back at Predators, though, and reading your comments, you make a good point without actually saying it. These aren't true Predators... what Predator would capture their prey and put it into their own version of "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell? Half the challenge of the Hunt is trekking through the prey's home world/turf, be it unknown or frequented. The BSP's are truly abominable to classic Yautja methods and culture.   

RakaiThwei

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 17, 2013, 09:49:14 PM
Internet high-five! I'll just have to wait for the BSP to be slaughtered in some other media... I have played through AvP Evolution and I like the story. In looking back at Predators, though, and reading your comments, you make a good point without actually saying it. These aren't true Predators... what Predator would capture their prey and put it into their own version of "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell? Half the challenge of the Hunt is trekking through the prey's home world/turf, be it unknown or frequented. The BSP's are truly abominable to classic Yautja methods and culture.

I really did not like PREDATORS, and the Super Predators. They just irritate the hell out of me and seeing them in the Expanded Universe media just really boils my blood. But hey, this isn't the first time that this has happened.. I mean we had to deal with the Hish and I got over that somewhat quickly. But the Super Predators have more solid grounding than the Hish and it's likely that they are here to stay unfortunately. The only thing I can look forward to something erasing them is a Predator remake (which essentially speaking was what PREDATORS in a way was, as well as a reboot) or another reboot which has no connections to the previous movies and establishes something entirely new.

Also I am glad to know that you looked at my comments and took them into consideration. I mean if you enjoyed PREDATORS, and the Black Super Predators-- that's your prerogative and you are entitled to it. I just didn't like the movie for what it was, and who was the driving force behind it as well as the fact that it introduced an unnecessary idea in the form of the Preserve Planet or even the Black Super Predators.

Having that said, I actually am glad to know that the Super Predators won't be making an appearance.

-Rakai'Thwei

Nightmare Asylum

Doubt I'm ever gonna touch these comics, but it kinda sucks that they're leaving the BSPs out. Loved the design on those guys.

Mapusaurus

Mapusaurus

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 17, 2013, 08:26:32 PM
Juan Ferreyra is the artist on the Prometheus comic, so I'd take his word for the number of issues (at least ballpark). Also, if you look on his Facebook page, he posted about three weeks ago that he was starting to do the illustrations for the series, and he uploaded some pics of his desk with various Prometheus items. You can see what appears to be the first page of the script in the pics, and you may be able to read some of it. I haven't looked on my desktop yet, though.

I saw these images on his Facebook, and in the third photo, there is an interesting comment from Juan Ferreyra in response to a friend (under the picture of an egg and a facehugger):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151784125640143&set=pcb.10151784202960143&type=1&theater

Friend: a ponerle mucho huevo !!!!! genio !

"put much egg!! genius!"

Juan Ferreyra: jaja! gracias! en esta no dibujo ni un solo alien, pero me toca diseniar muchas cosas, muchos bichos! el liquido negro toca de todo y deforma a todooos!  :)

"haha! thank you! in this I will not draw any Alien, but I have to design many things, many bugs! the Black Goo touches everything and deforms everything!"

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I doubt they are gone for good.  They might be gone for this run, but variety is the spice of life and some writer out there somewhere will have liked that idea and bring them back into the fold.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 17, 2013, 11:15:37 PM
I doubt they are gone for good.  They might be gone for this run, but variety is the spice of life and some writer out there somewhere will have liked that idea and bring them back into the fold.

I hope not. I honestly to God hope not.

-Rakai'Thwei

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I'm disappointed that the BSP won't be in these comics. They might not be the most original expansion of the Predator mythos, but there's potential there. They could have had a whole storyline about how they stole the tech to control the Xenos from the Engineers!  :laugh: (But seriously, Three World War is enough of a reason to be glad this is a new continuity.)

My main beef with "Predators" stem mostly from how it devolves into a rehash of the first movie. The idea of preserve planets is fine with me, especially since the movie only shows BSP using them. They don't follow the same code of honor that the regular Predators do, so it kind of fits that they would think nothing of dumping prey into unfamiliar environs and picking them off. They're more poachers than honorable hunters.

Quote from: Mapusaurus on Dec 17, 2013, 10:39:04 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 17, 2013, 08:26:32 PM
Juan Ferreyra is the artist on the Prometheus comic, so I'd take his word for the number of issues (at least ballpark). Also, if you look on his Facebook page, he posted about three weeks ago that he was starting to do the illustrations for the series, and he uploaded some pics of his desk with various Prometheus items. You can see what appears to be the first page of the script in the pics, and you may be able to read some of it. I haven't looked on my desktop yet, though.

I saw these images on his Facebook, and in the third photo, there is an interesting comment from Juan Ferreyra in response to a friend (under the picture of an egg and a facehugger):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151784125640143&set=pcb.10151784202960143&type=1&theater

Friend: a ponerle mucho huevo !!!!! genio !

"put much egg!! genius!"

Juan Ferreyra: jaja! gracias! en esta no dibujo ni un solo alien, pero me toca diseniar muchas cosas, muchos bichos! el liquido negro toca de todo y deforma a todooos!  :)

"haha! thank you! in this I will not draw any Alien, but I have to design many things, many bugs! the Black Goo touches everything and deforms everything!"

Very interesting. I can't wait to see the "many bugs" mutations. Maybe we'll get a Deacon, who knows. I hope the Prometheus comic at least has the look of some of the cooler Prometheus concept art.

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 18, 2013, 02:43:44 AM
I'm disappointed that the BSP won't be in these comics. They might not be the most original expansion of the Predator mythos, but there's potential there. They could have had a whole storyline about how they stole the tech to control the Xenos from the Engineers!  :laugh: (But seriously, Three World War is enough of a reason to be glad this is a new continuity.)

My main beef with "Predators" stem mostly from how it devolves into a rehash of the first movie. The idea of preserve planets is fine with me, especially since the movie only shows BSP using them. They don't follow the same code of honor that the regular Predators do, so it kind of fits that they would think nothing of dumping prey into unfamiliar environs and picking them off. They're more poachers than honorable hunters.

Quite frankly, I can see the predator tribes going to war over that very reason.  The predators seem like a species entrenched in tradition and honor, that to deviate from that (like putting prey on a game reserve to make hunt easier) would be blasphemous- thus starting a war.  Personally, they should be in the comics, if nothing else to serve as antagonists for both the humans and original predators.

Ultramorph

I agree, it's a big wasted opportunity; although that story has sort of been told in Three World War.

happypred

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 17, 2013, 09:49:14 PMI'll just have to wait for the BSP to be slaughtered in some other media... I have played through AvP Evolution and I like the story.

Don't you run around killing BSPs as a "classic" predator in Evolution?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 18, 2013, 02:58:38 AM
I agree, it's a big wasted opportunity; although that story has sort of been told in Three World War.

BSPs are a huge way to explore the Predator mythos, their exclusion is a way to keep to tradition solely for sentimental purposes; I should have guessed this would happen after the DH AVP writer revealed that he was too much of a coward to include references to the AVP movies, a decision that was based solely on what fans would think.  It'd be all right if the story just didn't have room for references to the AVP movies but by going out of the way to eliminating them altogether just because it's "what the fans want" is by far one of the most cowardly decisions one can make, and a rather stupid one too. 

Listening to fans rarely works out, in Silent Hill: Revelation (sequel) the director listened to the fans and made his film more like the video games; this created MASSIVE continuity errors with the first movie and alienated the fan base who supported the first film, and the best part is that those who hated the first film (the people the director was reaching out to) found even more ways to hate the second.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

In response to the earlier posts about the Juan Ferreyra pics, the only thing I can read on the script is the title "Prometheus", what may say "4 Issue [somthing]" in the line underneath, and "...4, 2092-LV-223" several lines down. Not much to go on, but may indicate that we'll be seeing what becomes of the Deacon, or what was going on in the other ships/pyramids.  Maybe even what a rescue finds when they go looking for Weyland. If anyone can make out any more, that'd be cool.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1476493_10151784125495143_1524571624_n.jpg

He's also been posting some interesting pencil from Prometheus #1 on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/juaneferreyra

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed