Author
AvPR vs A:R (Read 143,331 times)

Don PapI

Don PapI

Each one has its thing, i like resurrection a loT

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Alien Resurrection vs AvP : R.

Like choosing which gas chamber to go into...

Alien Resurrection is almost salvageable. Some editing work could really repair the damage. As the guy who runs "Alien Legend" pointed out in his now gone "My Thoughts" section of A:R, there were many things that could have been changed with a few edits which would have greatly improved the film. The one thing the film needs desperately is to have the pace reworked. More action, more actual horror.

However, beyond all that, it is still a far better crafted film. It has an identity of it's own, as silly and strange as it is.

AvP:R shoot's itself in the foot from the word go. It banks on nostalgia right off the bat, lays it on thick for it's run time... Which is a bad thing, because it's trying to cover up for lacking it's own identity as a movie. It gives us incompetent Predators and feeble, weak, aliens. Neither are particularly threatening. The characters we are given are fed some very awful dialogue.. No thank you. I went into AvP:R very hopeful and excited. I didn't want to hate it. I wanted to enjoy it, but it frankly didn't even try to meet me halfway on that. Sure it has "lots of action" but that doesn't mean it's better for it, or that the action itself is good. Which it isn't. It's often very dark, and very... Silly, over the top.

linkoutpredator432

linkoutpredator432

A:R beats AVPR. The only good thing about AVPR is that there are Predators and Aliens. .Nothing ells. A:R is not bad, but its not in the line of Alien movies.The only thing I know for sure is that AVPR is really stupid and pointless.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

A:R is also stupid and pointless in its own way. You thought there was a point to cloning Ripley?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's no more silly or pointless than the introduction for the third film.

And AvPR has plenty of room to beat that.

SM

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 15, 2012, 07:58:15 PM
A:R is also stupid and pointless in its own way. You thought there was a point to cloning Ripley?

To get an Alien from her is the ENTIRE point.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2012, 11:35:40 PM

To get an Alien from her is the ENTIRE point.

Ripley was cloned to make Fox more money!!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Apr 16, 2012, 07:27:47 AM
Waaait -- isn't that the same reason for which there was an egg on the Sulaco?

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

the company! the company did it!

SM

SM

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 16, 2012, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: Novak 1334 on Apr 16, 2012, 07:27:47 AM
Waaait -- isn't that the same reason for which there was an egg on the Sulaco?

Or Ripley was sent back to LV-426?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Although it's a dumb idea, it could have given way to a very interesting rebirth of the character. A lot of people seem to enjoy her strangeness, but frankly i didn't feel there was ENOUGH of Ripley's strangeness.  By the time the aliens kidnap her she more or less has become herself again. Which is wrong. She's not Ripley... She's Ripley 8. A different person, with only an echo of her memories from her previous life. It could have been compelling if they focused on her character's differences.

"Ellen Ripley would never have gone along with this."
"I'm not Ellen Ripley."

Something pulled from that idea would have worked.

mastermoon

mastermoon

I say Alien Resurrection, thats a good movie.

AVPR hell no.

SM

SM

Quote"Ellen Ripley would never have gone along with this."
"I'm not Ellen Ripley."

While I get the sentiment anyone who knew what Ellen Ripley would have gone along with has been dead for two centuries.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Apr 17, 2012, 02:52:38 AM
Quote"Ellen Ripley would never have gone along with this."
"I'm not Ellen Ripley."

While I get the sentiment anyone who knew what Ellen Ripley would have gone along with has been dead for two centuries.

Call is really who I was thinking about with that sentiment.

SM

SM

Reading about a small portion of Ripleys exploits from a religious fanatic, isn't going to give an entirely accurate insight to her psyche.  Plus Call is the first one to state "You're not [Ripley]."  Quite the opposite.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed