Prometheus US Launch Thread

Started by RagingDragon, May 24, 2012, 04:01:17 PM

Author
Prometheus US Launch Thread (Read 35,691 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Eva on Jun 01, 2012, 06:52:52 PM
Yeah, I'll agree that some pieces of dialogue are pretty bad. It's particulary Holloway, Fifield and Milburn that get shafted with some shitty lines.
Spoiler
Worst offence for me was when the latter two were in the Ampule room, and started acting like frat boys. Tonally, it was way off
[close]

QuoteDavid on the other hand has some outstanding lines, dropped here and there.
The film should have been about him.

QuotePeople bitch about them, and yet they were one of the main driving forces maintaining the high level of quality in the original trilogy. Bring them back, goddamit.
They're definitely, err, Machiavellian in character, but they're integral to the series. They whipped O'Bannon's draft into shape (buffeted by other elements, of course), let Cameron do his thing, and saved Alien 3 from Vincent Ward, whose script was, contrary to what some think, flat-out bad.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 06:56:37 PM
Spoiler
Worst offence for me was when the latter two were in the Ampule room, and started acting like frat boys. Tonally, it was way off
[close]
This is the bane of modern filmmaking. Every guy has to act like a douchey frat boy because that's what this generation thinks is the epitome of masculinity. f**k off. ::)

They're definitely, err, Machiavellian in character, but they're integral to the series. They whipped O'Bannon's draft into shape (buffeted by other elements, of course), let Cameron do his thing, and saved Alien 3 from Vincent Ward, whose script was, contrary to what some think, flat-out bad.
Thank you. It always drives me crazy when people say "OMG Ward's idea was amazing!" Uh, it was interesting, but did you even read the crappy script?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 06:58:53 PM
Thank you. It always drives me crazy when people say "OMG Ward's idea was amazing!" Uh, it was interesting, but did you even read the crappy script?
Had it been made, then the fans would've hated it more than Fincher's movie. Every problem from his movie has its root in Ward's script. Ward couldn't even get half of the details from the prior film right. He didn't care.

( :laugh: at your sig, by the by)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 07:03:54 PM
( :laugh: at your sig, by the by)
All credit goes to Space Sweeper :D

Ward's script did contribute the method of the alien's demise though, which is brilliant. Everything else though--ehhhh. Especially the toilet scene. Lol. ::)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 06:52:05 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 06:48:06 PM
Hill & Giler should have written this. They had wanted to do something like this to continue the series anyway. Such a waste.
Another thought that crossed through my mind after the film. The film needed dialogue akin to the speeches in Alien 3. Dillon had some great dialogue and Clemens had this gritty back story. Not so, here. I wonder how involved they were...
I really like the characterization in Alien 3, even the red shirts are kind of 'imbued' with a little personality just because of the religious nature of the prisoners and the mini-culture they've created.  I love that about the film.

I think Ripley's final speech is a bit cheese, but it's saved by Dillon adding his bit and firing up the ole' boys. :laugh:

"I say f**k that thing!"  Best line in the film. ;)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 01, 2012, 07:13:08 PM
"I say f**k that thing!"  Best line in the film. ;)
That entire speech--chills.
"Do you want it on your feet, or on your f**kin' knees--begging?"

Charles S. Dutton, my god.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 07:15:17 PM
"I'm not much for beggin'. Nobody ever gave me nothin'!"

8)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I love the Dutton, damn.  He brings that sort of weighty power to every role he does.  You can just tell he gives a shit.

This is such an interesting example in Prometheus, because they clearly got half of the pieces right.  I can see this being used in future film school classes to analyze how the many pieces of a film must all hit their respective notes and gel for you to get a solid final product.

Sure, films can be carried to a 7/10 on great visuals, acting, and hype, but you've honestly got half a film without the rest.

Frankly I think that a good story is the soul, my evidence being that a good story will lead you to compensate for things that are visually unappealing, because you know the bones are there... but most viewers that like to think about their films are so put-off by bad writing that the visuals just become tragic, especially if they're beautiful, i.e. Prometheus. :'(

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 07:18:16 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 07:15:17 PM
"I'm not much for beggin'. Nobody ever gave me nothin'!"

8)

The way he says "Now I'm not gonna move without ya!" always gets to me, too. He really cares for Ripley by that point. :'(

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 06:48:06 PM
Hill & Giler should have written this. They had wanted to do something like this to continue the series anyway. Such a waste.

They both co-produced the film...so I'm sure they had the power to say something if they weren't satisfied about the writing.  They had the power to do the same on AvP and AvP:R because they produced those movies too. 

I don't think those two care too much about the integrity of the series at this point.  They built an empire out of the first two films already and have been using it as a cash cow ever since.  Ridley is the only one that has anything to lose in the way of integrity if Prometheus turns out to be sub-par. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Ash 937 on Jun 01, 2012, 07:21:49 PM
They both co-produced the film...so I'm sure they had the power to say something if they weren't satisfied about the writing.  They had the power to do the same on AvP and AvP:R because they produced those movies too. 
No they didn't. Their names are included due to contractual obligations surrounding their option on the first film (and original trilogy as well). They had nothing to do with the series after Alien 3.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Their involvement with, say, Alien Resurrection was to tell Fox that it would ruin the series. That's that. As for AVP, no involvement whatsoever other than contractual obligation on the part of Fox.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 07:25:15 PM
Their involvement with, say, Alien Resurrection was to tell Fox that it would ruin the series. That's that. As for AVP, no involvement whatsoever other than contractual obligation on the part of Fox.

Giler and Hill are fairly competent writers, but I imagine, personality wise, they are a couple of selfish, greedy assholes.  At least, that's how other people seem to portray them.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 01, 2012, 07:29:29 PM
Giler and Hill are fairly competent writers, but I imagine, personality wise, they are a couple of selfish, greedy assholes.  At least, that's how other people seem to portray them.
Giler is certainly a bit of a prick, and Hill is very standoffish and bullheaded. But at least they're not douchey fanboys like you-know-who.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 01, 2012, 07:29:29 PM
Giler is certainly a bit of a prick, and Hill is very standoffish and bullheaded. But at least they're not douchey fanboys like you-know-who.

I never liked the way that Giler always trashed O'Bannon's script in interviews.  There was that "Win some, Lose some" debate with the WGA, between Hill and O'Bannon.  However, I like The Warriors and Trespass lol, so Hill kind of gets an aquittal from me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed