Exclusive teaser trailer!!!

Started by Darkoo, Mar 12, 2012, 09:41:30 AM

Author
Exclusive teaser trailer!!! (Read 95,142 times)

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: Vickers on Mar 12, 2012, 10:30:25 PM
I'm kind of disappointed how video gamey the trailer snippets we've seen have looked :-\ We can already gather, I think, that visually speaking this isn't going to be a patch on the original.

I don't think I've played a single xbox or ps3 game that looks as remotely stunning as some of the shots revealed in the trailers.

If they do look "gamey" (I don't think they do) - you have to consider there's a generation of artists out there who will have post PS1 game design embedded into their concept of aesthetic.

However, I trust Ridley - if most of the effects are practical, I believe him. The cast have reiterated this in interviews.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Whatever technics they're using, CG or not, the most important is the final result. And all those shots are really well made and impressive.

SM

SM

Yep.  I've yet to see anything that doesn't look convincing.

AsapJockey

AsapJockey

I be that Jockey Muthaf#cka, LV-426 is what Im Repping! I just jizzed in pants cuz Im excited for this Bio-Weapon

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 12, 2012, 10:51:46 PM
If they do look "gamey" (I don't think they do) - you have to consider there's a generation of artists out there who will have post PS1 game design embedded into their concept of aesthetic.
And that is one of the biggest reasons most genre movies look like garbage these days, unfortunately. Regurgitating the same lazy visual concepts over and over in flat, lifeless CG rendering. Sigh.

Quote from: SM on Mar 12, 2012, 10:37:42 PM
The Nostromo is one of the most awesom movie models ever built - but the strut supporting it is clearly visible in a couple of shots.
I've seen ALIEN probably over a hundred times, and noticed every effects flaw except that one. Still more convincing than any CGI spaceship I've ever seen.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 12, 2012, 10:34:00 PM
My thoughts exactly.  I don't need behind-the-scenes info to judge what is clearly CGI.  I am not saying Prometheus isn't looking beautiful so far, it is.  But practical effects tend to look better than CGI.
That they do. I'm kind of disappointed how video gamey the trailer snippets we've seen have looked :-\ We can already gather, I think, that visually speaking this isn't going to be a patch on the original.

Welcome, BTW! :)

I can only hope the rest of the film is more organic looking.  There's hope yet.  This is not about wearing "rose coloured glasses."  The fact is that I only watched Alien for the first time 30 years after its initial release - so it has nothing to do with nostalgia.  It has more to do with appreciating what practical effects can achieve on camera as opposed to CGI.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Vickers on Mar 12, 2012, 11:09:52 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 12, 2012, 10:34:00 PM
My thoughts exactly.  I don't need behind-the-scenes info to judge what is clearly CGI.  I am not saying Prometheus isn't looking beautiful so far, it is.  But practical effects tend to look better than CGI.
That they do. I'm kind of disappointed how video gamey the trailer snippets we've seen have looked :-\ We can already gather, I think, that visually speaking this isn't going to be a patch on the original.

Welcome, BTW! :)

I can only hope the rest of the film is more organic looking.  There's hope yet.  This is not about wearing "rose coloured glasses."  The fact is that I only watched Alien for the first time 30 years after its initial release - so it has nothing to do with nostalgia.  It has more to do with appreciating what practical effects can achieve on camera as opposed to CGI.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

So that makes you a 3-year old fan? :) Better late than never! However while there's no denying Alien is a one great looking film that still looks stunning, the times have changed, I guess. Especially for mainstream movies, while I can name you some older movies - Tarkovsky's Stalker or Wenders's Wings of Desire, they're mostly "artistic ones", and I can't think of too many mainstream ones that stood up to the test of time (maybe Gilliam's Brazil, if you call it mainstream). To me Alien was an "artistic" movie, made with certain mindset that manifests its through its cinematic genius. And to me it's got more to due with how sharp Ridley's mind was back then and how driven he was back then rather than anything else.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Prometheus will have plenty of organic look to it and I bet plenty of scenes that weren't shown yet and are connected to some big surprises will be like that!

oh and welcome too :)

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

I think you're all deluding yourselves - there's no way Ridley will go back to the low budget creature-feature stylings of Alien, no matter how incredible he made it look. Most of that movie was about atmosphere, more due to budgetry limitations so I understand.

I'm sure he'll be equally obsessed with suggestion and tension - but the universe is his to play with now. We have to accept this is not 1978, gargantuan strides in filmmaking have been made, he's using unbelievable cameras, IT'S AN IMAX PRESENTATION...it's just not Alien anymore. As promised, this is going to be something entirely different, an epic from the same universe, but a new beginning. He promised us lots of practical effects - but planetoid landscapes an skies are going to mostly be cgi tho, no matter what.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 12, 2012, 11:25:23 PM
I think you're all deluding yourselves - there's no way Ridley will go back to the low budget creature-feature stylings of Alien, no matter how incredible he made it look. Most of that movie was about atmosphere, more due to budgetry limitations so I understand.

I'm sure he'll be equally obsessed with suggestion and tension - but the universe is his to play with now. We have to accept this is not 1978, gargantuan strides in filmmaking have been made, he's using unbelievable cameras, IT'S AN IMAX PRESENTATION...it's just not Alien anymore. As promised, this is going to be something entirely different, an epic from the same universe, but a new beginning. He promised us lots of practical effects - but planetoid landscapes an skies are going to mostly be cgi tho, no matter what.

Atmosphere is a bad thing why?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 12, 2012, 11:25:23 PM
We have to accept this is not 1978, gargantuan strides in filmmaking have been made, he's using unbelievable cameras, IT'S AN IMAX PRESENTATION.
Too bad it's not real IMAX.

Eva

Eva

Yes, welcome Vickers - good to know a capable company representative is here to keep an eye on this wretched hive of scum and villainy.  :)

Regarding the modelwork in Alien, I'll like to add that what also really made that film stand out, was the lighting of the sets and models and Ridleys trademark smoke & wind/rain thrown in the mix. It made the Nostromo exterior shots look absolutely spectacular.

SM

SM

QuoteAtmosphere is a bad thing why?

It's not.  The budget wasn't especially limited either.  They got away with building that honking big and expensive Space Jockey

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

^ I also think the budget wasn't especially limited compared to other films of the time, and I think Alien had received a budget upgrade at that time, too.

SM

SM

The budget was doubled up to $10m after Fox saw Ridley's storyboards, and I think the final tally was around $11m.  Which for that time was not a low budget.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Mar 12, 2012, 11:20:30 PM

So that makes you a 3-year old fan? :) Better late than never! However while there's no denying Alien is a one great looking film that still looks stunning, the times have changed, I guess. Especially for mainstream movies, while I can name you some older movies - Tarkovsky's Stalker or Wenders's Wings of Desire, they're mostly "artistic ones", and I can't think of too many mainstream ones that stood up to the test of time (maybe Gilliam's Brazil, if you call it mainstream). To me Alien was an "artistic" movie, made with certain mindset that manifests its through its cinematic genius. And to me it's got more to due with how sharp Ridley's mind was back then and how driven he was back then rather than anything else.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Prometheus will have plenty of organic look to it and I bet plenty of scenes that weren't shown yet and are connected to some big surprises will be like that!

oh and welcome too :)

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm only a 3-year old fan but happy to be on board. ;)

You're right, times have changed and no matter what, Alien and all the other cinematic masterpieces will still hold their own.  I do still think there will be a filmmaker who will step up and create a mainstream masterpiece using only practical effects.

Here's a film I'm looking forward to this year that appears to keep things very simple and practical and it's oozing with atmosphere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDH0Ykyge0c#ws

I have no doubt that Ridley's usage of practical special effects will be nothing less than spectacular.  I am obviously really excited for Prometheus and despite my "disappointment" (for lack of a much better word) with the amount of CGI, I'm sure Prometheus is going to blow everybody away.  And I can't wait.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed