New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 120,817 times)

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 08, 2020, 09:57:51 PM
I dunno, feels like it just sort of illustrates they're more about hunting than hand to hand fights. Fits the character that their close combat is just pragmatically trying to pummel the other opponent to death.

I'm fine with that. It's just how they do it has always looked like it's done by someone who doesn't know how to throw a punch, essentially. Objectively, a purposeful punch would look better than back hand slaps, I would say.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Sol on Dec 08, 2020, 10:11:11 PM
I dunno, feels like it just sort of illustrates they're more about hunting than hand to hand fights. Fits the character that their close combat is just pragmatically trying to pummel the other opponent to death.

I'm fine with that. It's just how they do it has always looked like it's done by someone who doesn't know how to throw a punch, essentially. Objectively, a purposeful punch would look better than back hand slaps, I would say.

Jungle Hunter kicking Dutch's ass doesn't look THAT different either, no technique, just pummeling, but the camera work and editing is very effective, which is essential as always.

Sol

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 08, 2020, 11:32:56 PM
Quote from: Sol on Dec 08, 2020, 10:11:11 PM

Jungle Hunter kicking Dutch's ass doesn't look THAT different either, no technique, just pummeling, but the camera work and editing is very effective, which is essential as always.

Absolutely. I spoke earlier about how I viewed that fight as Jungle Hunter toying with him, mostly. In the context of the film, Jungle Hunter appeared to get cocky, while also giving Dutch who survived longer than his previous prey appeared to have, wanting to torture him up close before trying to end it with his Wrist blades. A mistake which ultimately cost him his life.

But that was the very first film in 1987. There's no excuse to keep repeating that fight ad-nasuem since.

KiramidHead

How about a crossover with The Raid? The Preds wouldn't know what hit them.

Highland

The predators agility is arguably shown best in predator 2 - without the use of CGI.

I get the "martial arts" angle, but those arts are when you meet up with a somewhat equal playing field. A Predator doesn't give a shit if he's fighting Floyd Mayweather and Bruce Lee, he punches him....he's dead. It's like saying we should use martial arts on a Gorilla.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Highland on Dec 09, 2020, 07:00:08 AMIt's like saying we should use martial arts on a Gorilla.

Tbf I'd pay to see that.

Kradan

How is that thread turned into discussion about how Predator should kick its victim ?

germanator2

germanator2

Quote from: Sol on Dec 08, 2020, 03:29:15 PM
Quote from: Doomofman on Dec 08, 2020, 03:24:25 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say if this movie does happen, please for the love of god have the predator be a person in a suit and not some CGI abomination

I'm totally comfortable in 2020 having both. There's no real reason, not to. Good CGI you don't actually see.
Except Predator and 1 and 2 manage to do it without CGI. You're not going to improve on anything, especially after 'The Predator ('18) travesty with the CGI Predator.

I didn't have a problem with the fight between Harrigan and the City Hunter. By the end, they're both wounded and exhausted, plus the Predator only had one arm too. So it makes sense he's doing these aggressive swings with his wrist blades. And of course, one of the Predator's main weakness is definitely pride and their cockiness, when he left himself to open for Harrigan to stab him with the disc.

But tell you what, for a finalle, give me a good brawl/beat down between the Predator and two Native American warriors with knives and tomahawks or spears, working together and using their wits and survival skills to take the Predator down, and I think it could be epic. You wouldn't need flashy kicks or punches. As someone pointed out, the Predator isn't a dancer.

Kradan

I always felt a bit underwhelmed with final fight in Predator 2 in comparision to Dutch vs JH. In first one it feels like an important event, like JH makes Dutch an honor fighting him hand-to-hand. Fight in P2 feels more like "Eh,  I guess they gonna fight now" It felt too quick to me

P. S. Voodoo,  I still love P2. Please,  don't come after me

HuDaFuK

Like germanator said, I think the difference in the second film was the fact they'd already knocked seven shades of shit out of each other in the warehouse and on the rooftops before they finally went toe-to-toe. In the first movie the Predator was still fresh when it decided to duke it out with Arnie.

Sol

Quote from: germanator2 on Dec 09, 2020, 10:23:35 AM
Except Predator and 1 and 2 manage to do it without CGI. You're not going to improve on anything, especially after 'The Predator ('18) travesty with the CGI Predator.

I just disagree with this. That was passable for a film released 30 years ago, but not now. And definitely not with today's audience. It's a bit naive IMO to think this kind of film franchise can continue to survive making the same kind of film released in 1987. Especially considering the state the franchise is already in today. And everyone should know by now, good CGI is usually not even noticable, and if so, doesn't take you out the film. The last film was bad all around. But that isn't the barometer all of CGI capability all the sudden.

Quote from: germanator2 on Dec 09, 2020, 10:23:35 AM
You wouldn't need flashy kicks or punches. As someone pointed out, the Predator isn't a dancer.

Not sure where "confident, purposeful attacks like punches" equates to "dancing", but that's not what I said.

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 09, 2020, 10:19:42 AM
How is that thread turned into discussion about how Predator should kick its victim ?

This is a thread about the upcoming movie, and people are talking about what they would like to see in it. This is how message boards usually function.

Quote from: Highland on Dec 09, 2020, 07:00:08 AM
I get the "martial arts" angle, but those arts are when you meet up with a somewhat equal playing field. A Predator doesn't give a shit if he's fighting Floyd Mayweather and Bruce Lee, he punches him....he's dead. It's like saying we should use martial arts on a Gorilla.

I'm confused entirely by this analogy. How is Predator punching prey like humans using martial arts on Gorilla?

-Predators don't Punch. They slap. That sucks.
-Humans are no match for Gorillas. A Gorilla can literally rip your arm out of its socket with minimal effort.

So whose supposed to be who in that analogy, and how does it relate to people like myself wanting to see Predators do something else in 2021 besides backhand slap characters on film?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Sol on Dec 09, 2020, 01:53:36 PM-Humans are no match for Gorillas. A Gorilla can literally rip your arm out of its socket with minimal effort.

And Predators have been shown literally ripping people in two with their bare hands.

Sol

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 09, 2020, 02:12:30 PM
Quote from: Sol on Dec 09, 2020, 01:53:36 PM-Humans are no match for Gorillas. A Gorilla can literally rip your arm out of its socket with minimal effort.

And Predators have been shown literally ripping people in two with their bare hands.

So what does humans (weaker) doing martial arts against a Gorilla (stronger), have to do with Predators (stronger) doing martial arts against humans (weaker)?

Highland

What I'm saying is a predator using some kind of fighting technique against a human is like me lining up against my 7 year old boy. It....just doesn't seem necessary. I could dig some techniques with say a spear though.

Also the first two Predators have aged better ( creature wise) than anything since in my opinion.

I could dig some cool movement / jumps for mobility purposes....but really nothing has been "cooler" than just KPH,s body work inside the suits.

Thatll probably trump any CGI. Forever. I did like the Scar flip thing on the queen, seemed kinda situational though.

Sol

Quote from: Highland on Dec 09, 2020, 02:53:59 PM
What I'm saying is a predator using some kind of fighting technique against a human is like me lining up against my 7 year old boy. It....just doesn't seem necessary. I could dig some techniques with say a spear though.

This would make sense, if they didn't come with a load of weaponry that far outclasses what Humans are capable of fighting against, each time. It's odd that you draw the line at "punching", and not shoulder mounted laser canons, or light bending camouflaging technology, or bladed weapons so strong nothing can defend against it, etc.

Also the first two Predators have aged better ( creature wise) than anything since in my opinion.

Absolutely. But that's because the latter released films were bad. Not because of the use of newer tech. What they did, newer FX techniques or not, was objectively bad work comparitively to other film projects. If ILM or someone did the CGI work, or Stan Winston studios did the practical effects for the films post Predator 2, we would be having a slightly different conversation I would think.

I could dig some cool movement / jumps for mobility purposes....but really nothing has been "cooler" than just KPH,s body work inside the suits.

Thatll probably trump any CGI. Forever. I did like the Scar flip thing on the queen, seemed kinda situational though.

I'm not calling for CGI to replace costume work. I hope you didn't see that in my posts. I definitely did not say that or insinuate it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed