Okay
94 (27%)
Good
65 (18.7%)
Great
37 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author
What did you think of AvP? (Read 86,724 times)

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

It was okay. It wasn't a great film but it was enjoyable despite its shortcomings.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2009, 01:29:08 AM
I dunno if it was a complete waste.  Neill was pretty good in EH - not outstanding, but then there's very little about that film that is outstanding.  But it is solid.  Much more so than AvP.  Both films suggest Paulie would be more at home as an art director or DP.

Well he did what he could, but compared to his other work like Jurassic Park, it was terrible.

SM

SM

Apples and oranges.  I'd put his EH performance on a par with JP3, and I liked JP3.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2009, 05:00:11 AM
Apples and oranges.  I'd put his EH performance on a par with JP3, and I liked JP3.

I wouldn't only because he returned to a role in JP3 that he played well in JP, and did another good job with it. His performance in EH was decent at best, but it wasn't reflective of what he's capable of.

avpmad!

avpmad!

First time i watched it i loved it but after watching it over and over i dont really like it, celtic vs grid, really annoys me when i watch the fight because how can a big bulky strong predator get killed by a alien in a hand to hand fight, wouldnt happen, dont get me wrong i think aliens are really strong but they are not hand to hand fighters they get their enemies by surprise or at least jump on them to start the fight are, and i no thats what grid does but i mean when the enemy doesnt know that they are going to get attacked unlike celtic watching it fly through the air at him.
Gave it a 5/10 rating, didnt think it had any spice to it, actually think i could do better.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: avpmad! on Apr 30, 2009, 10:01:49 PM
First time i watched it i loved it but after watching it over and over i dont really like it, celtic vs grid, really annoys me when i watch the fight because how can a big bulky strong predator get killed by a alien in a hand to hand fight, wouldnt happen, dont get me wrong i think aliens are really strong but they are not hand to hand fighters they get their enemies by surprise or at least jump on them to start the fight are, and i no thats what grid does but i mean when the enemy doesnt know that they are going to get attacked unlike celtic watching it fly through the air at him.
Gave it a 5/10 rating, didnt think it had any spice to it, actually think i could do better.

That's how Grid won. He was able to cut through Celtic's net and took him by surprise.

Secret Hero

Secret Hero

Their acid blood is very special. They can even melt Celtic's Net, while Stafford can't even cut the net by knife. :P

SiL

SiL

Of course. It's acid. It works in an entirely different fashion to cutting.

I can't cut a metal beam in half, but if I got a good enough acid I could melt it.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteThat's how Grid won. He was able to cut through Celtic's net and took him by surprise.
That's all fine and dandy, but the one thing that's just stupid is that Celtic just doesn't bother to actually do anything, he doesn't move his arms, shakes his body or even try to remove the alien on top of him. He just lies there waiting for the alien to punch a goddamn hole in his head.

And that has nothing to do with the ability of the predator but only with Anderson's fanboysm to show his super duper alien.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 01, 2009, 08:53:40 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but the one thing that's just stupid is that Celtic just doesn't bother to actually do anything, he doesn't move his arms, shakes his body or even try to remove the alien on top of him. He just lies there waiting for the alien to punch a goddamn hole in his head.

And that has nothing to do with the ability of the predator but only with Anderson's fanboysm to show his super duper alien.

While I do agree with you, there are few points worth noting.

1. When Celtic was on the ground, the scene played out in slow-mo, hence why it looks like Celtic isn't going to react.
2. The biggest problem was Celtic not reacting while Grid was bound. He didn't have a whole lot of time to do anything once Grid broke free. There was at most 2 seconds between Grid coming out of the net and falling down on Celtic.

SM

SM

Yeah that always got me.  The acid is burning through the net.  How odd.  I wonder if I should -*GACCKK!!!*

Like the original Predator - you snooze you loose.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Hm, not sure if I would put it in with Anytime losing because in Predator, Anytime had to lose. Dutch was the hero of the film, so he was definitely going to live. But in AvP it could've gone either way and given Anderson's admitted preference towards the Alien, I don't think it's a case "snooze you loose".

SiL

SiL

Yes it is. The Predator didn't react, and it got killed. You snooze, you loose. Intent doesn't factor into it.

Mr. Stizout

Mr. Stizout

Quote from: avpmad! on Apr 30, 2009, 10:01:49 PM
Aliens fight hand to hand, their class are razor sharp.  I think the fight was gay because grid alien should have killed celtic way before he did.  An alien is stronger than a predator (look at alien: res an alien tearing down a blast door) and there is no way celtic should have been able to man handle the alien by throwing it!  WTF!!  The alien was also smaller in AVP than in the alien movies.  Predators should own aliens at long rang but an alien should almost always own a predator in hand to hand, hands down has a general rule.

SM

SM

Aliens don't tear down doors.  They bash them until they make a big enough hole.  That said, the Newborn did manage to open that whacking great pressure door on the Betty.  For what it's worth.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed