Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,706 times)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I will say that when polled, everyone I saw it with preferred the f**ked-up squid to the original planned chestburster in the surgery scene.  When that thing is pulled from her abdomen and none of us can totally understand its dimensions, it is a truly alien, horrifying moment.  A chestburster is in the public consciousness.  It would be fan service, but not as exciting.  They were film fans but they didn't care about seeing the alien or chestburster again.  They also liked the new proto-creature at the end, perhaps more than me.

That said, we all thought the Shaw/Engineer/squidhugger battle at the end was way too short.  I could've done with more.

I loved Shaw's attitude with David.  He's the naughty schoolboy/sibling and she wants to know where her cross is.  They complement each other perfectly.  And the audience just adored him in all his ambiguous magnificence.  It's his film.  Roy Batty would be proud.

There's a lot of parallel/matching scenes and bits, too.  The Engineer vomiting as he awakens from his slumber, like Shaw from hypersleep; David communicating with Weyland through the neuro-visor link in dreams, while he peers at Shaw's past.

Mohawksinspace

Mohawksinspace

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 09, 2012, 06:32:34 AM

- Janek explains exposition - Fine.  He is a military vet and went inside.  Their horrific experience thus far led him to put it together, and remember, Janek and his men have been watching the expedition through helmet-cams all along.  They've seen it all, and he's put the picture together.  The little we got of Chance and Ravel - easily as much as many of the Marines from Aliens - also allows me to buy their sacrifice, after the stuff with their 'wager' and so on.  They went to the temple too.

I also had no problem with the Janek sacrifice. He is a vet and he understands the danger to human life involved not too mention a little bit of foreshadowing that he himself is a man of faith somewhat.
People are being nitpicky on here with co-pilots Chance and Ravel deciding to stay on board.
You see this alot in the military IRL where guys who have served together a long time(it is implied with these three)have no problem living and in this case dying for their brothers in arms.
Throw in the clearly defined dialogue that Janek throws out to Vickers about the 2months supply of air aboard the lifeboat and you realize that really they were just choosing how they went out.
Ram the ship, stop the threat or sit around in the lifeboat until your air runs out and die anyway.
2months of air<2 years of space travel.

- Holloway's sacrifice - Fine.  Most people didn't care for him among my group, but they did think his sacrifice scene worked, and so did I.
I really liked Holloway. Alot of people around this forum have discredited him as a loose-cannon or "un-realistic"
But I disagree....... Our technology and Medicines were created by guys like him that were not afraid to "roll the dice".
I took him as a confident guy driven for answers that had no problems taking chances. I just wished they would have played his anti-religion angle against Shaw's complete un-waivering belief angle some more.
Choose to believe indeed.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Anyone else enjoy the terror present in the Starbeast C-Section scene?

The entire process seemed a bit abrupt, but when Shaw's in the medpod, it seemed to have all the appropriate confined body horror one would need to clutch their abdomen.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The surgery scene was brutal. I think I may have turned away at one point during it. Noomi definitely killed it what that scene.

Quote from: Mohawksinspace on Jun 09, 2012, 06:59:13 AM
- Holloway's sacrifice - Fine.  Most people didn't care for him among my group, but they did think his sacrifice scene worked, and so did I.
I really liked Holloway. Alot of people around this forum have discredited him as a loose-cannon or "un-realistic"
But I disagree....... Our technology and Medicines were created by guys like him that were not afraid to "roll the dice".
I took him as a confident guy driven for answers that had no problems taking chances. I just wished they would have played his anti-religion angle against Shaw's complete un-waivering belief angle some more.
Choose to believe indeed.

They needed to explore that more. There's no motivation given for his actions other than "He yearns for knowledge."

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

My friends and colleagues thought LMG was in over his head in the role and didn't think much of him - I thought he was fine.  But they didn't think he hurt the film, they liked the sacrifice scene and so did I, very much; it played well.  I don't think he had enough in the final edit, but it works.  I liken my character issues with him or others like Ford to my similar issues with the narrative shorthand in Blade Runner; competent and not enough to really damage the film.  I think it would've been more effective for him to have infected himself with David's collusion, and paid the price.

Chance and Ravel are basically two of the lesser Marines of Aliens who aren't Hudson, Hicks or Vasquez; they have just enough to work for me.  They could have more.  I adore Benedict Wong from many things.

The surgery scene terrified the theater.  And it is shot so, so well.  For me it stands up next to the original chestburster.  And I didn't expect it to.  It is the most unnerving scene since the original film, easily.

Cvalda

Cvalda

**SPOILER FREE REVIEW**

My experience of seeing Prometheus ended thusly:

The final scene finished, cut to black. A few audience members chuckled. I sat there for a few seconds, processing what had just transpired in front of me for the last two hours, before rising from my seat and making my way toward the exit. I bumped into an older man in business attire--I must have looked as crestfallen as he did, because the first thing out of his mouth when we made eye contact was "Jesus, wasn't that awful?" I nodded in agreement, not really sure what to say. As we staggered out of the cinema together, my companion continued "I love Ridley Scott, but that really was his worst film. I can't believe how bad it was."

I wouldn't say it's Ridley Scott's worst film, but it definitely is a disaster.

There was a point about twenty minutes into this film when, despite all my reservations, my fannish adulation welled up and I was fully prepared to love this film. I was handing myself over to Ridley Scott on a silver platter, desperate to love it. The scenes introducing David were wonderful (minus the clunky Shaw dream bit). The score was better than I had given it credit for, with lots of excellent passages not featured on the terribly assembled soundtrack album. I suddenly felt a rush of hope from it all.

I don't feel like I can accurately assess Prometheus, because I don't think what I just saw was Prometheus. What I saw was an extended two hour trailer for Prometheus. This film features the worst edit job I have ever seen in a theatrical film. It has clearly been brutally hacked to ribbons--entire scenes are obviously transplanted from elsewhere in the narrative, sliced apart, and haphazardly thrown into the midst of other scenes without any thought toward narrative whatsoever. Shots jostle against one another seemingly at random, and the entire film is without any sense of momentum or dramatic tension.

The script is serviceable at best, awful at worst--merely a line for Ridley Scott to hang his stunning visuals upon, but even those cannot be enjoyed due to the madly rushed pacing; we are not allowed to absorb ourselves into these gorgeously production designed corridors or alien spaces, because Scott refuses to let a single shot last for more than two seconds. And to think I had myself all worked up over the film's story! There isn't one. Characters are wholly uninteresting or outright idiotic, and Elizabeth Shaw is so pathetically conceived that despite her eye-rollingly cliche Hollywood backstory, this Ripley expy amounts to nothing more than Noomi Rapace running around looking winded for most of the runtime. The only cast member who makes a solid impression is Michael Fassbender, whose work here is stellar.

For all the ludicrous plot points (many of them alarmingly reminiscent of AVP) and silly mythology, the best thing about the film is how completely inconsequential it is--it provides no direct link to Alien, and therefore spares its masterful forebearer any ill aftereffects by association. "There is nothing", says Peter Weyland when he finally meets his maker, another one of the script's faux-profundities that does not so much say anything for life itself, as it does more accurately sum up the film around it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It wasn't supposed to provide a direct link to Alien, I don't think. The impression I was under leading up to this film was that it was going to reference Alien in parts, which it did, but not directly lead into the first film.

Cvalda

Cvalda

I didn't expect it to provide a direct link to Alien. I am glad it didn't.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Where does it stand in your Alien/Predator collection in terms of awfulness?

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Why the hell did there have to be a direct link to ALIEN anyway? There is no reason for that, the universe has now been expanded, and I believe that's what the ultimate goal of this movie was. Why bother going back the Alien franchise when you can simply add more to the universe.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Everyone in the theater downtown wanted to talk about it in the lobby, outside, but nobody seemed to be confused by the film's questions or pissed.  They got it, or pieced it together with each other's help, or had different theories - some thought the Engineers had been laying a trap, others (like me) thought they were simply harvesting their crop of life on Earth.  Some thought the Engineers had different factions.  Nobody doubted the implicit link to Alien - that the disaster or a similar one had affected LV-426 either because an installation was also there, or because another juggernaut had fled the scene and landed there instead.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 09, 2012, 07:08:21 AM
Where does it stand in your Alien/Predator collection in terms of awfulness?
At present, it is marginally better than Alien vs. Predator, and just about as relevant to the franchise.

I think there may actually be a decent film somewhere on the cutting room floor, but what's playing in cinemas now isn't it.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

I'm hoping for a director's cut, but Ridley denied that he'd do one, unless he's bluffing, which I can't really understand how to believe that.

Cvalda

Cvalda

There has to be an extended cut. Tons of shit was missing, and scenes were clearly hacked to pieces.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Everyone around me loved the shit out of this movie. People were flipping out when the last scene showed its head. I loved the direction that this film took, and I would love to see where they go with this in the future, for good or for worse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed