Sigourney Weaver on Alien 5 – “Neill’s Fulfilling His Childhood Dream”

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 21, 2015, 07:06:05 AM

Author
Sigourney Weaver on Alien 5 – “Neill’s Fulfilling His Childhood Dream” (Read 27,596 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 20, 2015, 09:37:39 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 20, 2015, 08:25:02 PM
This first came up in May on Twitter. Neill replied to an article calling the claim that Alien 5 would be filming in Vancouver "horseshit".

It does not necessarily mean that Alien 5 won't be filmed in Vancouver, just that it won't happen this fall.

That's certainly possible. I did speak to the informant and the source sounded pretty solid.

The current article making the rounds about Ripley hating AvP (not exactly new) did contain some very small news about Alien 5: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-19/sigourney-weaver-alien-vs-predator-really-depressed-me

QuoteThe actress was considerably more enthusiastic about a future addition to the Alien series, namely Neill Blomkamp's untitled sequel/reboot for which concept art was leaked earlier this year.

"I'm so excited about Neill – because Neill is like you guys!" she told the Comic-Con crowd. "He broke the tapes of these movies when he was a kid, he watched them so much."

"I love the fact that's Neill's fulfilling his childhood dream of what he hopes will be the popcorn movie, the Alien popcorn movie that he wanted as a kid to see.

It hasn't been officially confirmed Weaver will be returning for Blomkamp's film, but she implied she'd be involved when a fan asked if Ripley could get a happy ending in the new movie.

"Well – it's certainly something we've discussed," she replied. "I agree, she's had kind of a crap life. Many interruptions."

robbritton

robbritton

I wouldn't take the phrase 'popcorn movie' as necessarily detrimental just yet. If nothing else, two of the best films of Weaver's career (Aliens and Ghostbusters) are among the definitive lexicon of popcorn movies. It doesn't have to mean low quality.

LiquidMonster

LiquidMonster

I'm taking the "popcorn" comment as more along the lines of a fun summer action movie. I think the movie
will be just fine.  8)

marrerom

marrerom

"I love the fact that's Neill's fulfilling his childhood dream of what he hopes will be the popcorn movie, the Alien popcorn movie that he wanted as a kid to see."

Oh god, that is not encouraging.  Popcorn movie is just film industry speak for a movie that is crappy, mindless, and special effects heavy.

locusta

locusta

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jul 20, 2015, 09:16:58 PM
QuoteSome of the actors from the Ridley Scott's 1979 movie Alien are coming back to reprise their roles.

I stopped reading any further when I read the above.

Only hope I have is, that another Ash model reprises. I always saw Holms as the strongest character of the original.

Mike

I always take that Popcorn movie means a fun entertaining movie you would love watching and enjoying popcorn at the same time?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: robbritton on Jul 21, 2015, 03:10:33 PM
I wouldn't take the phrase 'popcorn movie' as necessarily detrimental just yet. If nothing else, two of the best films of Weaver's career (Aliens and Ghostbusters) are among the definitive lexicon of popcorn movies. It doesn't have to mean low quality.

Yeah - the vast majority of classic films from the 1980s were called that. It's just another way of saying 'blockbuster', that's all.

So, in other words, it's a passion project with the aim of being as entertaining as possible (just like 'Aliens' was).

Quote from: locusta on Jul 21, 2015, 04:08:23 PM
Only hope I have is, that another Ash model reprises. I always saw Holms as the strongest character of the original.

That could be interesting, but he'd look aged. CGI cameo, at very best.

Doggo33

Someone being a fan doesn't really make me more confident that a movie will be good. In fact, debatably it's more of a worry, as he could get caught up in nostalgia.

I thought Sigourney Weaver was confirmed to be in the film months ago.

pred169

Quote from: CelticPred97 on Jul 21, 2015, 06:01:16 PM
Someone being a fan doesn't really make me more confident that a movie will be good. In fact, debatably it's more of a worry, as he could get caught up in nostalgia.

I thought Sigourney Weaver was confirmed to be in the film months ago.
Yes. We are all fans but several of us clearly would take things in various different directions. So I somewhat agree with CelticPred97 on this. Just because they are fans doesn't garuantee us a good film let alone a great film. I'm sure on some level it helps to be a fan so the film doesn't go waaaayy out into left field but at the same time what I want to see as a fan maybe completely different than others.

Doggo33

Doggo33

"Only hope I have is, that another Ash model reprises. I always saw Holms as the strongest character of the original."

"That could be interesting, but he'd look aged. CGI cameo, at very best."

- Oh please no CGI cameo's, or cameo's at all in fact. I just want 'Alien 5' to be a good film. No rehashed ideas, no stolen one liners, no cameo's, as that shows it's a weak, less believable and serious movie.
I can get on board with the idea that 'Alien 3' and 'Alien: Resurrection' were dreams (if that's how they want to retcon it, which I would much prefer to just ignoring them, as that would just mean that appearantely you can just pick apart franchises and rearrange however you like). But please don't make a 'Jurassic World' - fun and references the original well, but has weak writing as a story. And even more so, please don't turn it into the 'Terminator' franchise - just a ruiny mess (with some cool scenes).

"Yes. We are all fans but several of us clearly would take things in various different directions. So I somewhat agree with CelticPred97 on this. Just because they are fans doesn't garuantee us a good film let alone a great film. I'm sure on some level it helps to be a fan so the film doesn't go waaaayy out into left field but at the same time what I want to see as a fan maybe completely different than others."

- Yeah that was my thinking.

P.S. On my computer I don't have the range of buttons on this website when writing comments, as I used to and as clearly everyone else does, such as the ability to set something as a quote. I just have a bar of smilys. Any idea why that is, anyone?

pred169

Quote from: CelticPred97 on Jul 21, 2015, 06:20:03 PM
"Only hope I have is, that another Ash model reprises. I always saw Holms as the strongest character of the original."

"That could be interesting, but he'd look aged. CGI cameo, at very best."

- Oh please no CGI cameo's, or cameo's at all in fact. I just want 'Alien 5' to be a good film. No rehashed ideas, no stolen one liners, no cameo's, as that shows it's a weak, less believable and serious movie.
I can get on board with the idea that 'Alien 3' and 'Alien: Resurrection' were dreams (if that's how they want to retcon it, which I would much prefer to just ignoring them, as that would just mean that appearantely you can just pick apart franchises and rearrange however you like). But please don't make a 'Jurassic World' - fun and references the original well, but has weak writing as a story. And even more so, please don't turn it into the 'Terminator' franchise - just a ruiny mess (with some cool scenes).

"Yes. We are all fans but several of us clearly would take things in various different directions. So I somewhat agree with CelticPred97 on this. Just because they are fans doesn't garuantee us a good film let alone a great film. I'm sure on some level it helps to be a fan so the film doesn't go waaaayy out into left field but at the same time what I want to see as a fan maybe completely different than others."

- Yeah that was my thinking.

P.S. On my computer I don't have the range of buttons on this website when writing comments, as I used to and as clearly everyone else does, such as the ability to set something as a quote. I just have a bar of smilys. Any idea why that is, anyone?
Sorry I use tapatalk app on my phone.

THE CITY HUNTER

Just asking was Weaver ever excited about alien Resurrection i know she was paid a huge amount and is there ever a time in Weavers movie history in which she was excited about a movie which turned out to be shit?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 21, 2015, 07:16:13 PM
Folks, as I understand, this thread is for posting news on Alien 5 only.  Comments belong elsewhere.  (I'm not an admin, but I expect that will be their take on posting in this thread.  Let's try to keep it as a useful news resource without jamming it up with opinion posts)

I'm sure the answer to this is "yes" depending on who you talk to. I know some people who thought avatar was crap and I'm pretty sure sigorney was excited about that one (or maybe she was just excited to work with Cameron again)...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: robbritton on Jul 21, 2015, 03:10:33 PM

I'm hoping she just means it's going to be entertaining in the same level as Aliens was. Just so used to seeing popcorn flick used in a detrimental way.

droid124

If you look into Blomkamps theory behind his films its more of an experience/entertainment. His movies seem to be awesome sci-fi universes that through his production he creates some really great pieces. I believe his idea of entertainment is far past the classic hollywood blockbuster.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed