Something is brewing on Instagram...

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 20, 2018, 06:48:28 PM

Author
Something is brewing on Instagram... (Read 69,391 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: The Kurgan on Dec 22, 2018, 12:06:57 PM
It has been a niche brand for quite some time.

The last successful movie in the cinema was decades ago. A lot of young people who are the target audience of the social media platforms have propably never seen one of the older movies or do not care much for it. They have their own brands and franchises that they grew up with or are growing up with.

I don't think it is much of an indicator of the health of the brand in general. More of a popularity indicator  with the younger crowd.

Prometheus was successful.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wlvscrclwlvs on Dec 22, 2018, 12:15:56 PM
Wondering if this could end up being some kinda playable comic like telltale do with walking dead could see that have an appeal to wider audience whatever it is I'm happy!

I'd be interested to see something like that. Imagine some cell shaded game with Den Beauvais' style for the graphics!

The Kurgan

Quote from: SM on Dec 22, 2018, 12:19:52 PM

The last successful movie in the cinema was decades ago. A lot of young people who are the target audience of the social media platforms have propably never seen one of the older movies or do not care much for it. They have their own brands and franchises that they grew up with or are growing up with.

I don't think it is much of an indicator of the health of the brand in general. More of a popularity indicator  with the younger crowd.

It was, but it was not really an Alien movie. Most people not overly familiar with the franchise propably treated it like a solid standalone scifi movie.
It did not bring the series back to widespread public attention.

maron

maron

WY is too evil. Hopefully not a movie.  :-
And Prometheus was not succesful enough, otherwise we would have gotten maybe 5 more Blade Runner movies in the Alien universe.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: irn on Dec 22, 2018, 11:52:13 AM
They're all on the official Alien Universe site: https://www.alienuniverse.com/post/news-weyland-yutani-research-program

Someone needs to fix that damn website and change "Aliens 3" to "Alien 3."

Ray

Ray

20th Century Fox&tongal
Alien 40th Anniversary Shorts Project

Evaluating Videos:
11/30/18 - 12/22/18 ;)

Revisions:
12/22/18 - 02/08/19

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 22, 2018, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 21, 2018, 11:13:13 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 21, 2018, 11:10:28 PM
Yes I definitely think this will tie into Resistance. I don't find the Company to be "mustache twirly" because it's evident from as early as the Weyland Ted Talk that the company values scientific advancement over morals. It's an advanced age where new discoveries are in demand for potentially huge profits. Also androids can blend in any work force and perform tasks some may find unsavory haha.

Deliberately using innocent human civilians instead of lab animals doesn't quality as "mustache twirly?"

If you're going to want to use the creatures as a weapon, you need to field test them. I think it's a lil' on the daft side having everything branded with W-Y since it makes potential leaks in secrey a bit risky, but I don't think it's out there in the slightest that they would test the Aliens on larger scales. We got that in the old EU too.

That makes it no less "mustache twirly."  Perhaps if it's established that the colony is in open rebellion or something, but it's still a stretch that a "field test" of such a cruel weapon would be remotely justifiable.

The Old One

The Old One

It was stupid in the old EU too.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At least Spears had the dubious justification of needing to use innocent colonists to train his aliens.  And this was only after Earth had already fallen and everyone knew about them.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on Dec 22, 2018, 12:24:36 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 22, 2018, 12:19:52 PM

It was, but it was not really an Alien movie. Most people not overly familiar with the franchise propably treated it like a solid standalone scifi movie.
It did not bring the series back to widespread public attention.

Agreed. It can be argued that, unlike Covenant, "Prometheus" wasn't an Alien film, meaning it wasn't marketed as one, but as a new, good (good at least to me) sci-fi horror film that less genre educated movie-goers had no idea what it was connected to.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Dec 22, 2018, 03:20:10 PM
It was stupid in the old EU too.

In the old EU, we had Spears running the show.  He was isolated and as a General he was in a position to dictate what went on.  Two important factors played into that.  Firstly, he was mad partly on account of being born NOT from a mother's womb, and secondly he may have been influenced by the Aliens' telepathic abilities.  It was not a case of a direction that was strategically issued by a collective committee.  He was a moustache-twirling nut, but an individual.

The W-Y corporation on the other hand, operating collectively as a sociopathic entity seems very far-fetched to me.  Why destroy a terraforming colony?  From what I understand, they have a substantial dollar value attached.  That being said, I don't know the context of what is happening in the scenes.  Maybe it's a colony that rebelled against the company or was overrun by pirates.  I am open to there being a good explanation, but will reserve judgment till later.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 22, 2018, 10:49:37 AMIt's not my day job.  ;)

It should be the central preoccupation of your life.  Like the luggage salesman from Joe Versus the Volcano.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 22, 2018, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 22, 2018, 10:49:37 AMIt's not my day job.  ;)

It should be the central preoccupation of your life.  Like the luggage salesman from Joe Versus the Volcano.

Wow. Joe Banks. A blast from the past.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 22, 2018, 02:56:38 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 22, 2018, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 21, 2018, 11:13:13 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 21, 2018, 11:10:28 PM
Yes I definitely think this will tie into Resistance. I don't find the Company to be "mustache twirly" because it's evident from as early as the Weyland Ted Talk that the company values scientific advancement over morals. It's an advanced age where new discoveries are in demand for potentially huge profits. Also androids can blend in any work force and perform tasks some may find unsavory haha.

Deliberately using innocent human civilians instead of lab animals doesn't quality as "mustache twirly?"

If you're going to want to use the creatures as a weapon, you need to field test them. I think it's a lil' on the daft side having everything branded with W-Y since it makes potential leaks in secrey a bit risky, but I don't think it's out there in the slightest that they would test the Aliens on larger scales. We got that in the old EU too.

That makes it no less "mustache twirly."  Perhaps if it's established that the colony is in open rebellion or something, but it's still a stretch that a "field test" of such a cruel weapon would be remotely justifiable.

The way I see it is scientific discovery and insurmountable profits would trump ethics every time for Wey-Yu. Obviously based on this dossier there are individuals within the company who disagree but most likely all have signed NDA's and can't say shit. I knew someone who worked for Lockheed Martin and couldn't say a thing about the projects they were working on. And we know from history the atrocities made in the name of both science and warfare. I simply don't think this is a stretch. And again we don't fully know the context, could be a prison colony, could be an uprising, but ultimately modern day humans are generally apathetic towards the plight of anyone outside their immediate life and the farther from your life the less one can relate. In a future where humans have ventured to far flung corners of space, I'd imagine the first settlers died out by the scores and folks back on Earth barely batted an eye. People most likely wouldn't know, wouldn't care or couldn't say a word about it. Again IMO.

426Buddy

Looking at the history of our species over the last few thousand years, I don't understand how anyone could think its far fetched.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed