The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms)

Started by RagingDragon, Apr 30, 2014, 05:24:22 AM

What is your favorite type of strategy game?

Real-Time Strategy/Tactics (Starcraft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer)
14 (56%)
Turn-Based Strategy/Tactics (Age of Wonders, X-COM, Heros of Might and Magic)
3 (12%)
4X (Civilzation, Master of Orion)
1 (4%)
Tactical Roleplaying (Final Fantasy Tactics)
1 (4%)
City Building, Economics, Management (SimCity, Ceasar, Anno, Tropico, Rollercoaster Tycoon)
0 (0%)
Real-Time/Turn-Based Hybrid (Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire)
3 (12%)
Wargames/Grand Strategy (Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis)
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author
The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms) (Read 17,457 times)

Rong

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 01, 2014, 08:12:05 PM
John Rhys-Davies! That's sweet, but who the hell is Nari Maneo? Supposed to be Thufir Hawat, and he would be a bomb Thufir lol. Same thing I guess.

RONG. Y U no tell me Sins of a Solar Empire has some excellent Star Wars mods??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tcwYwM3Rg#ws

I might just give up Empire at War altogether after seeing this. It looks like everything I wanted from that game and more.

I haven't played sins in a few years, i knew they were making this mod, but it does look pretty good, sins itself is an amazing game regardless you should play it brah.

need to put a windows install back on my mac, thinking of building up a sweet hacintosh mac pro clone soon so when i get it going ill play a game against you.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

XCOM master race.

(still play the original game from time to time.)

SM

Quote from: Crazy Rich on May 01, 2014, 10:38:04 AM
I remember DUNE 2000 when I was a kid/early teen. I served House Atreides well by leading vast armies and defeating the Harkonnen and the Ordos for control of Arrakis.

I've played other game's like EndWar and RUSE.

I royally sucked at Dune too.

Rong

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 01, 2014, 11:31:09 PM
XCOM master race.

I never tried the new one, do have fond memories of the old one dat turnbasedgod.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 01, 2014, 11:31:09 PM
XCOM master race.

Original XCOM was so fun, a masterpiece.

I haven't been able to get into the new one, but maybe I'll give it another try. The old retro 50's alien paranoia felt strong in the classic game, and the graphics had a certain charm.

Probably just old balls nostalgia cranky bastard talking. :laugh:

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Not nostalgia... It still IS a lot of fun and plays really well.

I love that the graphics have a Rob Liefeld 90's comic book vibe to them. All those shoulderpads and silly Street Fighter hair.

X)

RagingDragon

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 02, 2014, 12:21:13 AM
Not nostalgia... It still IS a lot of fun and plays really well.

I love that the graphics have a Rob Liefeld 90's comic book vibe to them. All those shoulderpads and silly Street Fighter hair.

X)

Ha hell yeah, I really miss that old look to a lot of 90's games. The 3D gives me the man tears lol.

Do you play the new X-Com regularly? Can you talk about it if so? I redownloaded the demo and want to give it a whirl here soon.

In other news, am playing original Stronghold again because I wanted that castle-sim goodness. The damn thing is wonky and kind of hard, but I'm enjoying it still. Going to get into Crusader after this, as I hear the rest suck ass though I bought the whole collection.

Blacklabel

Havent tried the new XCOM but i hear it got very good reviews though.. and a thumbs up from the original xcom's creator.

The next XCOM game i'm gonna run will be Terror from the Deep.. dat lovecraft vibe. :P (Yeah you fight Deep One's in this.)

Rong

Played that one years back, didn't like it as much as the og one.

any yall ever play this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDwesb_AIU

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 02, 2014, 01:10:06 AM
Havent tried the new XCOM but i hear it got very good reviews though.. and a thumbs up from the original xcom's creator.

The next XCOM game i'm gonna run will be Terror from the Deep.. dat lovecraft vibe. :P (Yeah you fight Deep One's in this.)

My god, not only did you just introduce me to this game that I now desperately need to play...

They have it as well as original X-Com on Steam for $5 smackers. Oh god my game backlog is swelling like my face. :laugh:

Bless you, sir. Please, come in here and post your horrific battle reports!

Quote from: Rong on May 02, 2014, 01:35:49 AM

any yall ever play this one

No, but it looks fun and crazy. Reminds me of Empire Earth with the timeframes it spans.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Rong on May 02, 2014, 01:35:49 AM

It's a LOT harder... terror missions have two stages... nearly endless :P I recommend the scanners to help find those last few hidden enemies.. :P

Oh and Raging Dragon... the research tree is buggy... you need to do things in a certain order to finish the game.

It's still classic xcom though... just underwater. glub glub.

Rong

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 02, 2014, 01:36:42 AM
No, but it looks fun and crazy. Reminds me of Empire Earth with the timeframes it spans.
[/quote]
It's very similar to empire earth same dudes i think, i used to play it with mates constantly.

also any you nikka's play age of empires?

SM

Page 1, dude.

Rong

shiet k, wasnt sure if i read it cheers

RagingDragon

So, and I'm not joking, Stronghold just told me that it was late, and asked me if I was tired. This wasn't even in the game, but in a menu screen after a mission.

Earlier, while playing, the guy said "you've been playing a long time, sire" just right in the middle of a game. It was so weird, but kind of cool.

I miss those little touches in games. The original Dungeon Keeper would read the day of the month on your calendar, and if you played the game on a calendar day that had a full moon, a secret level would appear on the map.

There were also a few levels where if your pc was hooked up to a fax machine, the opposingl keeper would send you a fax.

That game was something else, though. Special shit. Haitian shit. Made from plant shit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed