ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 154,379 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 15, 2016, 01:49:40 AM
Considering Ridley's ideas that didn't make the final cut, I wonder how early Ridley had the ideas that were presented i Prometheus...  Aliens as weapons, space jockeys are engineers etc...

He described the Derelict as a bomber (and therefore Aliens as weapons) for decades.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 15, 2016, 12:37:18 AMMight've even popped up in original promo material (Warren magazine or Book of Alien).

Pretty sure The Book of Alien mentions it somewhere.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 15, 2016, 08:08:30 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 15, 2016, 12:37:18 AMMight've even popped up in original promo material (Warren magazine or Book of Alien).

Pretty sure The Book of Alien mentions it somewhere.

Interesting. That book was in my introduction to Alien way back in 1979/1980 as my elder brother had seen the movie and bought it. I was too young of course to see the film but I devoured that book. Ron Cobb & Giger's artwork would help fashion my own design/art career.

Enough history though as I am curious to re-read it to see about that mention about the lifecycle.

Mr. Clemens

Veronica Cartwright also mentioned that the alien had a short life span, and that's why it got darker throughout the film... because it was "bruising".

Also, it's been postulated that the alien was itself in the process of turning into an egg at the end of the film; I think that's in either Book of Alien or Giger's Alien. I rather like that idea, that the facehugger is in fact the last stage of the alien's life...

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Sep 15, 2016, 03:44:45 PM
Veronica Cartwright also mentioned that the alien had a short life span, and that's why it got darker throughout the film... because it was "bruising".

Also, it's been postulated that the alien was itself in the process of turning into an egg at the end of the film; I think that's in either Book of Alien or Giger's Alien. I rather like that idea, that the facehugger is in fact the last stage of the alien's life...

Very cool. Something I hope Ridley might delve into a little more in Covenant - that is explore the more mysterious aspects of the Xeno that Cameron non intentionally dumbed down a bit. It's something that I love about Alien the most - the sheer mystery and unknown of the creature.

Predator@Alien

Hi !

Can someone tell me more about the "Dog Alien" ? Who are they ? If I understand, they carried eggs of Xenomorph like the Derelict ? And this Derelict is like the Derelict on LV-426 or it's another one ? Someone know what is the traces of civilisation (sculpture) next to this derelict ?

Thank's :)

SM

SM

They're an ancient civilisation that's millions of years old and possibly extinct.  They're not related to the Xenomorph and the derelict on LV-178 is nothing to do with the Engineers.  They're an intelligent space faring race who have appearance akin to dogs.  Who got pwned by Aliens.  From memory.

The Alien Predator

Yeah, the Dog-Aliens are a race that had six limbs (two arms, four legs). They stood upright, walking on those four legs. They were incredibly tall, the steps on their stairs went to our waist, forcing humans to climb them with more effort rather than simply walking up them.

Also, Dog-Alien artwork on the floor couldn't be enjoyed by humans as it was designed for a much taller being. Their technology was primarily biological, their buildings and space ships are grown and have actual DNA that Weyland-Yutani collected samples of.

The moon or planetoid alien habitat that the Founders found also belonged to the Dog-Aliens. They used biological slug like creatures to grow technology, the Founders/Rage calls these things Fazes. When they dated the planetoid, it was five million years old.

Their teeth are rather blunt and don't look carnivorous. They seem to have hair on top of their heads but their faces are hairless. They have a dog-like snout hence the name.

Like SM pointed out, they seem to have had bad luck with the Xenomorphs. Both, on LV-178 and on "Midsummer", the five million year old artificial moon that was still growing when the Founders discovered it because the Faze creatures continued working and building. Two Fazes were brought aboard the ships of the Founders and proceeded to modify them into much better and faster ships with staggering advancements.

The ships upgraded became much more biological, also becoming reddish or pinkish in colour in contrast to the black biomechanical look of the Space Jockey and Engineer vessels and architecture.

I also remember an artwork found in one of their buildings depicting them having a public bath among themselves, some even encountering other creatures which were shown in the artworks seen by the humans. I think one of them displayed some kind of farming, I can't remember if that's correct.

Predator@Alien

Thank's for answers  :) but how the Aliens came here ? And how you know all that ? ^^'

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Sep 27, 2016, 05:37:34 AM
The moon or planetoid alien habitat that the Founders found also belonged to the Dog-Aliens. They used biological slug like creatures to grow technology, the Founders/Rage calls these things Fazes. When they dated the planetoid, it was five million years old.

That's still up for debate. Otherwise good recounting! I'm curious to see if Lebbon gives that any closure in Armageddon.

Predator@Alien

There are more answers in Sea of Sorrow ?

Corporal Hicks

They're featured but nothing new about them comes from Sea of Sorrows.

Predator@Alien

And how Xenomorph came here ?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Sep 27, 2016, 11:17:18 AM
There are more answers in Sea of Sorrow ?

The only answer in Sea of Sorrows is that their buildings have DNA samples of which W-Y collected.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 27, 2016, 07:14:17 AM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Sep 27, 2016, 05:37:34 AM

That's still up for debate. Otherwise good recounting! I'm curious to see if Lebbon gives that any closure in Armageddon.

What are your thoughts on it? I also hope to see some closure to them in Armageddon, but I won't hold my breath as they do have the Arcturian Syndrome of just being shared in scraps... (although we've seen more of then than the Arcturians. XD)

Local Trouble

I'm a few chapters in, but I already have two things to bitch about: this novel explicitly states that the Narcissus only has one cryotube and the crew of the Marion somehow were able to board it without disturbing the harpoon gun that got stuck in the airlock door at the end of the original film.

I want answers!  I want the truth!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed