ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,751 times)

Nostromo

Nostromo

Just trying to think if Lambert said planetoid because it looked big to her?

Copied this from somewhere:

The first minor planet to be discovered was Ceres in 1801. The term minor planet has been used since the 19th century to describe these objects. The term planetoid has also been used, especially for larger (planetary) objects such as those the International Astronomical Union (IAU) has called dwarf planets since 2006. Historically, the terms asteroid, minor planet, and planetoid have been more or less synonymous. This terminology has become more complicated by the discovery of numerous minor planets beyond the orbit of Jupiter, especially trans-Neptunian objects that are generally not considered asteroids. Minor planets seen releasing gas may be dually classified as a comet.

Before 2006, the IAU had officially used the term minor planet. During its 2006 meeting, the IAU reclassified minor planets and comets into dwarf planets and small Solar System bodies (SSSB) Objects are called dwarf planets if their self-gravity is sufficient to achieve hydrostatic equilibrium and form anellipsoidal shape. All other minor planets and comets are called small Solar System bodies. The IAU stated that the term minor planet may still be used, but the term small Solar System body will be preferred. However, for purposes of numbering and naming, the traditional distinction between minor planet and comet is still used.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 03:15:35 AM
One last thought, that website that says Calpamos is 117,000km in diameter, is that canon/confirmed...accurate whatever it's called. The diameter of Calpamos was never mentioned in the CMFM or WYR? I should buy these 2 books already...
As SM mentioned, Calpamos' size is pointed out in the USCM Tech Manual (the book refers to it as "Zeta 2 IV", the 4th planet in the Zeta 2 Reticuli system), but I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head. I can check it in a little bit, though.

gold

The designation LV-426 is not scientifically accurate. I've heard it said it refers to Lima Vector or Lagrange Vector and 3 coordinates to specify which moon of a planetary body you are talking about in vector.

In reality this is not a correct designation (as a myriad of satellites around any planet could have the same three digit number (which isn't a vector in the first place).

The correct astronomical nomenclature for LV-426 would be:

S/2039 (ζ2 Ret IV) 2.

S: for designating a Satellite (Moon)
2039: the year of discovery
(ζ2 Ret IV): The planet it orbits (in this case the fourth planet of Zeta 2 Reticuli)
2: As the 2nd new moon discovered and designated in that year around that planetary body.

After it is named (and providing the planet is named, which it usually is if you've gotten to naming its moon) it would be:
(ζ2 Ret) Calpamos II Acheron

Nostromo

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 03:28:13 AM
One last thought, that website that says Calpamos is 117,000km in diameter, is that canon/confirmed...accurate whatever it's called. The diameter of Calpamos was never mentioned in the CMFM or WYR? I should buy these 2 books already...
As SM mentioned, Calpamos' size is pointed out in the USCM Tech Manual (the book refers to it as "Zeta 2 IV", the 4th planet in the Zeta 2 Reticuli system), but I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head. I can check it in a little bit, though.

Seriously? The diameter is in there? Please find it. Thx Gold for the link I will check too if I can find it.

SM

QuoteI've heard it said it refers to Lima Vector or Lagrange Vector and 3 coordinates to specify which moon of a planetary body you are talking about in vector.

I've also heard Location Vector and Leviticus.  I've never been able to verify any of them to be accurate.

gold

gold

Quote from: SM on Sep 17, 2016, 03:41:53 AM
QuoteI've heard it said it refers to Lima Vector or Lagrange Vector and 3 coordinates to specify which moon of a planetary body you are talking about in vector.

I've also heard Location Vector and Leviticus.  I've never been able to verify any of them to be accurate.

Thinking logically, it may be a company label separate from the astronomical designation of the moon. Something akin to the 426th lunar body that is being terraformed or is Life Viable.

Nope, that's wrong, it would mean that LV-223 was "first" and they catalogued 204 further moons before they got to the next moon over on the same planet.

It may be that by the time astrophysicists explore thousands of extrasolar planets and moons in person, a more complex nomenclature is developed than today's simplistic, what is it / when was it discovered / what is it orbiting designation. Perhaps a size/composition/gravity/atmosphere catalogue system of sorts which we cannot determine today.

L: lunar
V: size 5
4: 400's composition category
2: 20's gravity category
6: Type 6 atmosphere

Which if you think about it is also wrong, as LV223 is around the corner, is pretty similar and nowhere near LV426 in numbers. Plus you'd need things like PX488 for planets which don't exist in the canon.

I give up

SiL

In reality it's technobabble, but given how this thread's going that's not going to stop anyone.

SM

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: gold on Sep 17, 2016, 04:19:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 17, 2016, 03:41:53 AM

Thinking logically, it may be a company label separate from the astronomical designation of the moon. Something akin to the 426th lunar body that is being terraformed or is Life Viable.

Nope, that's wrong, it would mean that LV-223 was "first" and they catalogued 204 further moons before they got to the next moon over on the same planet.

It may be that by the time astrophysicists explore thousands of extrasolar planets and moons in person, a more complex nomenclature is developed than today's simplistic, what is it / when was it discovered / what is it orbiting designation. Perhaps a size/composition/gravity/atmosphere catalogue system of sorts which we cannot determine today.

L: lunar
V: size 5
4: 400's composition category
2: 20's gravity category
6: Type 6 atmosphere

Which if you think about it is also wrong, as LV223 is around the corner, is pretty similar and nowhere near LV426 in numbers. Plus you'd need things like PX488 for planets which don't exist in the canon.

I give up

Hold on lol! LV-426 is a captured moon which means it should be quite different in composition, etc.

Your description does make good sense! And what is PX488?.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 17, 2016, 05:43:38 AM
In reality it's technobabble, but given how this thread's going that's not going to stop anyone.

Lol!

gold

gold

Thanks, but I doubt it would work with only 9 digits for each of the categories.

If you could just summarize 5 things about a foreign body you could walk on you'd want to know:

-Type of celestial body
-Atmospheric composition by volume (which would probably include climate and surface pressure )
-Surface gravity
-Equatorial radius
-Orbital period

2 letters and 3 numbers gives 26/26/9/9/9 categories you could classify. Seeing as the L most likely means lunar (as it is used on LV223), and the V also appears to not be an alphabetic category, (a roman numeral at best, but we've not seen any other designations of this kind in the canon) that leaves 9/9/9 for designating the remaining categories, which in my mind doesn't give enough latitude or range to cover all possibilities by a long shot.

I think my theory is wrong.

PX-488 is something I made up which you would expect to see in the lore if what I said had any basis in reality.

P: Planet
X: Size category 10
4: Characteristic a
8: Characteristic b
8: Characteristic c

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 03:33:13 AM

Seriously? The diameter is in there? Please find it. Thx Gold for the link I will check too if I can find it.
Sorry for the delay.

Page 137 of the CMTM says Calpamos is "a Jovian supergiant - a brown dwarf protostar - notable for its relatively low albedo and a well developed ring system. Zeta 2 IV has a mass of 1.899 x 10^25 metric tons (approx. 10 Jovian masses) and an equatorial diameter of 306,400 km".

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: gold on Sep 17, 2016, 03:17:16 PM
Thanks, but I doubt it would work with only 9 digits for each of the categories.

If you could just summarize 5 things about a foreign body you could walk on you'd want to know:

-Type of celestial body
-Atmospheric composition by volume (which would probably include climate and surface pressure )
-Surface gravity
-Equatorial radius
-Orbital period

2 letters and 3 numbers gives 26/26/9/9/9 categories you could classify. Seeing as the L most likely means lunar (as it is used on LV223), and the V also appears to not be an alphabetic category, (a roman numeral at best, but we've not seen any other designations of this kind in the canon) that leaves 9/9/9 for designating the remaining categories, which in my mind doesn't give enough latitude or range to cover all possibilities by a long shot.

I think my theory is wrong.

PX-488 is something I made up which you would expect to see in the lore if what I said had any basis in reality.

P: Planet
X: Size category 10
4: Characteristic a
8: Characteristic b
8: Characteristic c

This would mean there could be several LV-426's out there.  Possibly millions or billions.

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:32:11 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 02:19:34 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:15:12 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 02:09:41 AM
Is LV-797 located in the same system as LV-223/426?

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue Prometheus.

Found this small description on a website:

LV-797, aka Tartarus, is a WY territory schedule to be terraformed. But it looks a rival company by the name of Seegson (yes!) is prospecting illegally on their grounds. Awesome! For those wondering why I'm geeking out right now, Seegson was the guilty party behind the shenanigans in the brilliant Alien: Isolation. Now we have a nice tie-in between the game and comics universe.

We already had a tie-in between the comics and the game - Amanda Ripley cameos in 'Aliens: Defiance' #1 if I remember right. :)

Yeah, this is an old review of Predator Life & Death #1. I think this came out a few months or weeks before Aliens: Defiance.

Ohhh my mistake, I didn't realize you were quoting someone else's review. :P

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2016, 02:23:34 AM
Not necessarily.... Check this out:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/superheavy-element-117-island-of-stability/
While that's a really interesting article, the problem is that "Element 117 is still artificially created. The first paragraph of the article is a bit misleading - it talks about "long lived" elements, but what it's really saying is "long lived when compared to other similar elements" the rest of the article makes this a bit clearer. You're still talking about artificial, unstable elements with short half-lives and big radioactive output. Not something conducive to mining, or colonization.

Like I said, if LV-426 was an artificial construct, problem solved. But we don't get any indication from any source that this is the case, or that LV-426 is even remarkable in any way.

QuoteBut I do agree. More likely that lv-426 is larger than smaller and "lambert misspoke" is the explanation I choose.
Thanks. :)

What if LV-223 & Lv-426 are not just constructs, but super carriers for engineer bomber ships.  Because of cosimc dust and long peroids of inactive, or purposeful deceptive camouflaging, the ships are now covered in enough unforged natural materials that they are now mistaken as planests, like some of those novels that have our moon or mars as a alien space ship.  Some people actually belive the moon is a spaceship.

Engineer

Some people are bat-$*%# crazy

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 03:54:10 PM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 03:33:13 AM

Sorry for the delay.

Page 137 of the CMTM says Calpamos is "a Jovian supergiant - a brown dwarf protostar - notable for its relatively low albedo and a well developed ring system. Zeta 2 IV has a mass of 1.899 x 10^25 metric tons (approx. 10 Jovian masses) and an equatorial diameter of 306,400 km".

Awesome. Whoever wrote or gave him that info for the CMTM back in 1996 did a great job! They really did their research.

Exactly what I found in my research too. That really is a Jovian Super Giant - borderline brown dwarf protostar with a 306,400km diameter or approx. 2.2x the diameter of Jupiter. Not sure about the Mass, I'm just talking about the size.

Thx for the info this clears a whole lot and a 12100km sized moon or moons make much more sense now. Great stuff.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed