ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,831 times)

USG Ishimura

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 23, 2015, 08:19:32 PM
Sounds like fun, I know even in the film itself the APC (at least it's exterior) is not consistent with itself. There are numerous little differences between the full scale prop vehicle and the two scale miniatures used in the film.

That's right. The old Halcyon APC model for instance has some detailing that is consistent with the smaller APC models built for the movie; the HCG APC statue has detailing consistent with the full-size movie APC. Sometimes one can go crazy trying to get it 100% accurate, but in those instances, you just have to make a choice, draw the line on it doing the best you can and think to yourself that both are actually correct and in the movie, so all is hopefully good.

SM

SM

I think my sole contribution to the process was in regards to the storage of the sentry guns.  I originally thought the crates that fell on Gorman were the sentry guns, before quickly realising they weren't.  Which was absolutely pivotal to the entire project...  ;D

From memory it was Graham's idea to store them behind Burke and Ripley's seats.

The cam images on the MTOB screens were a brilliant touch.

Engineer

Ok, I have to ask...

I never got my hands on anything like the colonial marines technical manual, and I never noticed any inconsistencies in the APC during the movie; can someone post a pic of the two different models? I'm curious about the differences now...

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

The differences really aren't all that great and the smaller fiming miniature certainly did it's job. I'll need to look at the movie again, but some examples of scenes to look at for the miniature are when Ripley barrels through the Atmosphere Processor with the APC to rescue the marines; also when they leave the Atmosphere Processor and drive through the exterior door, and then across the LV426 landscape blowing the transaxel in the process.

The areas to look at on the APC I think off the top of my head are the area above the rear wheel arches (full size APC has a dented 'canister', filming model has something that looks like a wrench in it's place). Also the full-size APC has a curved cowling over the top-mounted searchlight / camera, I think the cowling is missing on the smaller miniature but would need to rewatch the movie and refresh my memory to check.

Quote from: SM on Jul 23, 2015, 10:12:00 PM
I think my sole contribution to the process was in regards to the storage of the sentry guns.  I originally thought the crates that fell on Gorman were the sentry guns, before quickly realising they weren't.  Which was absolutely pivotal to the entire project...  ;D

From memory it was Graham's idea to store them behind Burke and Ripley's seats.

The cam images on the MTOB screens were a brilliant touch.

Actually you bringing that up was really helpful because after that we looked at the sentry gun cases more closely and realised just how frigging big those things are! Especially afer looking at the scene where Vasquez and Hudson bring the cases into Operations, and there are four of them, and John and I were thing 'where the heck do we put them!?' We were trying to figure out the size and what exactly these cases looked like, and one member of the braintrust had a photo of one plus they can actually be seen right at the beginning of the AVP (2010) videogame in the hanger where the player starts.

Finding a spot for them was more tricky. The only area where it seemed to work and for them to not be in the way was behind the seats Ripley and Burke sit during the drop. But to be sure I looked at the scene where Hudson is giving his speech during the drop, looking at the camera angles and comparing how elements within the APC are located compared to other elements, and at the same time cross-referencing that with a section through the APC I had drawn to line things up. I also looked at the behind the scenes clip of Simon Atherton when he's talking about the weaponry because you can see part of the APC set in the backgound. However, here the seats seemed further back and more flush with the door meaning there was no room for the guns, plus them being pushed further back in this particular clip didn't mesh with the camera angles scene in the movie. In the end I went with what made sense with what I saw on watching the movie by bringing the seats forward to match, and then there was enough room for the Sentry Gun cases.

It's kind of what it's like sometimes, at first it doesn't work, but you work on another area and by solving that it then opens the door to a solution to the problem you originally had.

Engineer

Thanks for the detailed reply! When I rewatch aliens again, I'll be paying more attention to that! :-)

USG Ishimura

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 24, 2015, 07:45:33 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply! When I rewatch aliens again, I'll be paying more attention to that! :-)

You're welcome  :)
I love the '1 G0T P1NK 8C1D B00TS 0N' reference under your avatar by the way, it's been many years since I played that Alien Trilogy game and I remember punching in that cheat code many times!

Engineer

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Jul 24, 2015, 08:20:26 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Jul 24, 2015, 07:45:33 PM

You're welcome  :)
I love the '1 G0T P1NK 8C1D B00TS 0N' reference under your avatar by the way, it's been many years since I played that Alien Trilogy game and I remember punching in that cheat code many times!
Haha I know right?!
Some of my fondest memories of the alien franchise involve me huddled up 2 feet from a 10" boxy TV playing this game! I was still pretty young but already an obsessed alien fan since my parents made the mistake of letting me watch aliens when I was only about 6 years old! One day, my older brother came home with a PS1 and 3 games; one of those games was alien trilogy which he specifically picked up for me. I had no idea the game even existed until he popped it in and I saw the opening cinematic and title screen! Big surprise for me! :-). I believe that was about the same time I first heard the space jockeys referred to as "engineers" too, which is part of how/why I chose my user name (not prometheus! Lol). He surprised me with "alien 3" for the Super Nintendo in the same way. :-)

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

I was a teenager and I really wanted a playstation and I really wanted a copy of Alient Trilogy; trouble was my folks wouldn't let me have either for some reason, so I saved up my money on the quiet, then while they were at work cycled the few miles to the electrical store to get both then cycled back with them tucked under my arm. I played it in secret for a few months, then made up some story about being able to buy them cheap off a friend. I got rumbled because my mum got a letter from the electrical store a year later wanting to know if I wanted to extent my warranty on my playstation. Ah happy days.... ;D I was pretty determined!

Engineer

Engineer

I think I was about 12 years old when alien trilogy came out, but my brother is 7 years older than me... The benefits of an older brother! Lol.

I actually had a similar story for my first eminem CD though; my older brother moved out by then. :-(

PS. I still play alien trilogy from time to time! It's still a very atmospheric game! Alien isolation has it beat, but I find more enjoyment/terror in alien trilogy than I do in colonial marines! lol

predxeno

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Jul 24, 2015, 09:14:44 PM
I was a teenager and I really wanted a playstation and I really wanted a copy of Alient Trilogy; trouble was my folks wouldn't let me have either for some reason, so I saved up my money on the quiet, then while they were at work cycled the few miles to the electrical store to get both then cycled back with them tucked under my arm. I played it in secret for a few months, then made up some story about being able to buy them cheap off a friend. I got rumbled because my mum got a letter from the electrical store a year later wanting to know if I wanted to extent my warranty on my playstation. Ah happy days.... ;D I was pretty determined!

Lol, I helped my brother pull a similar scam regarding an Xbox 360, only problem was my brother was lazy and sloppy and it took WAY less than a year for our parents to discover the truth.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: predxeno on Jul 25, 2015, 12:25:10 AM
Quote from: USG Ishimura on Jul 24, 2015, 09:14:44 PM

Lol, I helped my brother pull a similar scam regarding an Xbox 360, only problem was my brother was lazy and sloppy and it took WAY less than a year for our parents to discover the truth.
Hell, if I was a parent, I wouldn't even be mad.  If my kid saved up for a game system, that would at least show that he knew how to save money toward a distant goal.

Corporal Hicks

Darkness

Is the second to last picture by Locusta too?

Corporal Hicks

This one? I believe so.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Looks fantastic. Although, some of the theoretical stuff is a bit baffling... Why not just take the acid and put it in a conventional weapon, instead of mucking about with trying to fuse together dead Alien body parts?

But artistically, it's magnificent.

EDIT: Some slight concerns about that scan. Doesn't feel right to have an official report describing the Sulaco team as "badasses". I also seem to remember the Auriga guns were conventional, weren't they? Only the one used very early on was of a stunning configuration (and I'd imagine ranged electro-charge weaponry would have advanced substantially by that time).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed