ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 395,128 times)

Bughunter S. Thomson

I had no expectations, it just all looks a bit uninspired and cheap. Some illustrations closer to concept art might have been nice, instead of textureless renders. It looks pretty dated.

Engineer

I never said the motion trackers key off body heat. They detect movement; it was the eye pieces that used infrared and didn't work...

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Sep 21, 2016, 04:12:06 PM
So I got this in the post finally.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed. The illustrations look very cheap and the whole design of the book feels like it's aimed at kids, which kind of contrasts with the content. Kind of reminds me of the DK Publishing info books.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4b/7a/d7/4b7ad79877bfdb752ae2577956a75d5c.jpg

I love these type of books, with pictures in color and panels with quick facts, descriptions..and stats. Is that how evey page is? These make great washroom companions after a game of spider solitaire on the old ipod lol.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 21, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Sep 21, 2016, 04:12:06 PM
So I got this in the post finally.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed. The illustrations look very cheap and the whole design of the book feels like it's aimed at kids, which kind of contrasts with the content. Kind of reminds me of the DK Publishing info books.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4b/7a/d7/4b7ad79877bfdb752ae2577956a75d5c.jpg

I love these type of books, with pictures in color and panels with quick facts, descriptions..and stats. Is that how evey page is? These make great washroom companions after a game of spider solitaire on the old ipod lol.

That's the perfect way to describe it - A book to read on the john while ejecting payloads. Yeah it's a lot like that.

I think I have just been spoiled by the Titan Books movie series. I have quite a few, and the quality is great in each. The overall design feels like it could have been published about 15 years ago. Which might appeal to some I guess. I've yet to finish reading it, maybe I'll feel different when I'm done.

Nostromo

On the John sure, ejecting payloads...I don't know about that man lol.

It doesn't look cheap, nice designs..

Which book is that by the way? The one with te Cheetah. :P

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 21, 2016, 05:00:12 PM
On the John sure, ejecting payloads...I don't know about that man lol.

It doesn't look cheap, nice designs..

Which book is that by the way? The one with te Cheetah. :P

Haha

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 21, 2016, 04:32:18 PMDo we know for a fact that motion trackers key off of body heat?

We're not talking about the motion trackers. The Marines have infra-red eyepieces, yet Dietrich looks directly at one hiding right next to her and she never sees it.

The trackers seem to detect the Aliens just fine.

Local Trouble

How do the Hish see them?

HuDaFuK

According to the games and the AVP films, with a vision mode that doesn't key on infra-red.

SM

SM

lol "cheap illustrations"

QuoteSure. But when the major con is "stood right out in the open and offering a prime target", it starts to seem a little unbalanced.

Seems to be a lot of baseless assumptions about smart gun capabilities.  The CMTM has an illustration of a gunner firing from behind cover.  Sure firing from prone on your back is a little silly (since there's no reason you couldn't fire it lying on your stomach), but again it seems like if the weapon can't cover every eventuality - it's "dumb".

QuoteMore to the point, if the gun automatically tracks individual targets, it's gonna be useless for suppressive fire, which is what keeps the enemy's heads down and is the main reason we use machine guns in the first place.

Another baseless assumption.  The first time Vasquez fires the gun in the hive, she's not tracking targets.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 10:11:30 PM
Another baseless assumption.  The first time Vasquez fires the gun in the hive, she's not tracking targets.

I always found it ironic that Vasquez and Drake sprayed heavy machinegun fire in the bowels of the atmosphere processor and yet didn't cause the damage that ultimately led to its overload.

Too bad Dietrich roasted Frost and his bag of ammo or else the others might have been able to unsling their pulse rifles and do some meaningful damage against the aliens in the nest.

gold

I don't care. Like I said, it is the coolest sci-fi gun EVER MADE in ANY FRANCHISE and by a LONG SHOT (lol, those caps are how much I believe that statement.)

The fact that in the army you never semi-permanently tether yourself to heavy equipment is a given. There are so many reasons why this gun (the way it is there) would never be used,.. From the sheer size of it, to the ginormous muzzle flash, to all the edges and protrusions that can catch on things. But it doesn't matter, it is the coolest ever.

Does anyone know where you can buy a replica? I think I like it too much unfortunately.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 10:11:30 PM
lol "cheap illustrations"

To each their own, I guess. I can't agree with you at all though, Thompson.

QuoteThe CMTM has an illustration of a gunner firing from behind cover.  Sure firing from prone on your back is a little silly (since there's no reason you couldn't fire it lying on your stomach), but again it seems like if the weapon can't cover every eventuality - it's "dumb".

I don't have the book handy to check the illustration but surely the harness would allow for some degree of firing around cover? It'd probably be more awkward but something like these things

But then again, I suppose the trigger mechanism was on the handhold a little further down the smartgun making that somewhat impractical.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 10:11:30 PMThe CMTM has an illustration of a gunner firing from behind cover.

Sure, my issue is how hindered your mobility would be with this giant gun swinging around in front of you attached to your pelvis. Even in the scene where the Marines first approach the colony you can see how awkwardly Goldstein and Rolston have to move, and they're only going at a jog. Try sprinting to cover with it.

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 10:11:30 PM...it seems like if the weapon can't cover every eventuality - it's "dumb".

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is stuff like requiring you to lie down on your back in the middle of a firefight is egregiously dumb. The fact Brimmicombe even went down that route just proves how hard he had to try to justify it in a real shooting match. How quickly do you think you could actually get up from lying prone on your back with that enormous gun weighing you down? "Fall back! Fall Back! Go! Go! Go! Wait... Where's Roper?" "He's just getting up, Sarge. Anders is helping him."

And you couldn't fire it on your front because of where the arm attaches, and the front of the left hip.

SM

It's attached to the hip, not in front of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed