First Alien: Isolation Screenshots

Started by ikarop, Dec 13, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Author
First Alien: Isolation Screenshots (Read 53,129 times)

UDA

UDA

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 13, 2013, 10:42:46 PM
Why would Amanda know about the alien from the start? She wouldn't, all she knows is that her mom went to space and never came back.  So I'm imagining a story where Amanda looks for what happened to her mother, comes across the alien, THEN realizes the connection between Ripley Sr. and the xenomorph.  I too would like to see more dynamic development in these characters and hopefully Sega will take opportunity of the potential here.

We don't know that, and that's partially what I'm saying. But I its possible that they would start with Amanda having some awareness about what happened to her mother, I'm trying to think of an example here but ones just not coming to me. Why would Amanda have to fight soldier and clones? Because she went somewhere in search of her mother? Something like that? I would Rather Amanda not be thinking of her mother at all, she's just a distant dream, lost twenty or something years ago. I'd rather she just be a character at the start that accepts her situation, instead of having this overwhelming drive to find her mom. Let the realization come in the story, not from the start, is all I am saying.

Now that I'm thinking about, don't let Amanda ever realize her mom faced something like the Xeno, that feels a lot more tragic.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: UDA on Dec 13, 2013, 10:57:51 PMNow that I'm thinking about, don't let Amanda ever realize her mom faced something like the Xeno, that feels a lot more tragic.

Goddamn. Yes... yes, it does!

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: UDA on Dec 13, 2013, 10:57:51 PM
We don't know that, and that's partially what I'm saying. But I its possible that they would start with Amanda having some awareness about what happened to her mother, I'm trying to think of an example here but ones just not coming to me. Why would Amanda have to fight soldier and clones? Because she went somewhere in search of her mother? Something like that? I would Rather Amanda not be thinking of her mother at all, she's just a distant dream, lost twenty or something years ago. I'd rather she just be a character at the start that accepts her situation, instead of having this overwhelming drive to find her mom. Let the realization come in the story, not from the start, is all I am saying.

Now that I'm thinking about, don't let Amanda ever realize her mom faced something like the Xeno, that feels a lot more tragic.

Of course we don't know that, that's why I said "I'm imagining a story..." I'm not trying to disagree with you or anything and we both agree on the fundamental point about character dynamism.

I theorize that Amanda would face clones and soldiers because of her snooping around Weyland-Yutani archives (they wouldn't like that, and while I don't like the whole cheesy big evil company thing the EU likes to do, let's face it, is a common misconception that'll probably be in this game).  In my opinion, I don't think Amanda's mother would be a "distant dream" to her. She was 11, I think that's old enough to still remember it vividly and young enough to be deeply affected by it. It shouldn't be far fetched for the story to start with Amanda looking for the truth behind her mother's disappearance. 

Though, I don't know how I feel about the "not letting Amanda find out her mom faced the xenomorphs." Sure, that would be tragic, but even though Sega probably chose "Amanda Ripley" just to have another Ripley, they might as well put that opportunity to good use and play with her identity as a story element - I think the plot should revolve around the fact that she's a Ripley, and if she never finds out her mother faced the xenos that would make the name Amanda Ripley pointless.  Just my opinion of course.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 13, 2013, 05:55:44 PM
Cool.  I don't see one hint of James Cameron's rape of the franchise.

THIS! :D

I agree with many of the comments above - Amanda should *not* know about the Xeno... I'd like to think the reason she is snooping and against soldiers is simply due to the figures not adding up - in example...the company telling the families of the Nostromo crew that the ship simply disappeared on its way back to earth and its whereabouts unknown...but Amanda has found evidence that the ship was diverted from its course on company orders.. leading her to believe that not everything is as it seems. Simple as that...no xeno, no conspiracy...a daughter seeking the truth to her mothers whereabouts and suspecting a possible coverup of the true facts.. perhaps found evidence of special order 937 (though doesn't know what it is) and the reason this station looks as old as the Nostromo is because this was where the specimen was to be brought? Soldiers? Clones? Sounds very bio weapons division to me :)

As for the alien - yes!! A thousand yesses to the person who said it should be based on H.R Gigers original design...not only that, it should reproduce the same way...cocooning victims in bio-mechanical growth causing them to undergo a metamorphosis into an egg...no queen, no ant-like hive structure... no sleek on-all-fours 'Alien 3 creature with added tubes' or alien resurrection design, and no fish tail...a true Alien, complete with semi-visable skull-like eye sockets in certain light and SILVER translucent head shell... make it scary again, not cannon fodder.... and for gods sake make it intelligent, not an animal...make it curious like it was about Lambert...hell, throw in the deleted crab-walk to make it creepy XD Its an alien...it doesnt need to conform to the animal behavior of every creature on earth :p

UDA

UDA

Quote from: Its_Auto on Dec 13, 2013, 11:56:40 PM
Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 13, 2013, 05:55:44 PM
Cool.  I don't see one hint of James Cameron's rape of the franchise.

THIS! :D

I agree with many of the comments above - Amanda should *not* know about the Xeno... I'd like to think the reason she is snooping and against soldiers is simply due to the figures not adding up - in example...the company telling the families of the Nostromo crew that the ship simply disappeared on its way back to earth and its whereabouts unknown...but Amanda has found evidence that the ship was diverted from its course on company orders.. leading her to believe that not everything is as it seems. Simple as that...no xeno, no conspiracy...a daughter seeking the truth to her mothers whereabouts and suspecting a possible coverup of the true facts.. perhaps found evidence of special order 937 (though doesn't know what it is) and the reason this station looks as old as the Nostromo is because this was where the specimen was to be brought? Soldiers? Clones? Sounds very bio weapons division to me :)

As for the alien - yes!! A thousand yesses to the person who said it should be based on H.R Gigers original design...not only that, it should reproduce the same way...cocooning victims in bio-mechanical growth causing them to undergo a metamorphosis into an egg...no queen, no ant-like hive structure... no sleek on-all-fours 'Alien 3 creature with added tubes' or alien resurrection design, and no fish tail...a true Alien, complete with semi-visable skull-like eye sockets in certain light and SILVER translucent head shell... make it scary again, not cannon fodder.... and for gods sake make it intelligent, not an animal...make it curious like it was about Lambert...hell, throw in the deleted crab-walk to make it creepy XD Its an alien...it doesnt need to conform to the animal behavior of every creature on earth :p

I can live with everything said here.

MrSpaceJockey

That cover-up aspect is exactly what I had in mind. But what do you mean by "no xeno"?

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 14, 2013, 12:25:04 AM
That cover-up aspect is exactly what I had in mind. But what do you mean by "no xeno"?

Ah sorry, i should have typed that more clearly...i meant no prior knowledge of the xeno on Amanda's behalf.. :)

PVTDukeMorrison

This actualy looks really nice, then again though, so did this
Spoiler
[close]
Think I'm gonna wait until I see some reviews...

UDA

UDA

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 13, 2013, 11:38:45 PM
Quote from: UDA on Dec 13, 2013, 10:57:51 PM

Of course we don't know that, that's why I said "I'm imagining a story..." I'm not trying to disagree with you or anything and we both agree on the fundamental point about character dynamism.

I theorize that Amanda would face clones and soldiers because of her snooping around Weyland-Yutani archives (they wouldn't like that, and while I don't like the whole cheesy big evil company thing the EU likes to do, let's face it, is a common misconception that'll probably be in this game).  In my opinion, I don't think Amanda's mother would be a "distant dream" to her. She was 11, I think that's old enough to still remember it vividly and young enough to be deeply affected by it. It shouldn't be far fetched for the story to start with Amanda looking for the truth behind her mother's disappearance. 

Though, I don't know how I feel about the "not letting Amanda find out her mom faced the xenomorphs." Sure, that would be tragic, but even though Sega probably chose "Amanda Ripley" just to have another Ripley, they might as well put that opportunity to good use and play with her identity as a story element - I think the plot should revolve around the fact that she's a Ripley, and if she never finds out her mother faced the xenos that would make the name Amanda Ripley pointless.  Just my opinion of course.

It wasn't intended to sound argumentative, I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I could live with the evil corporation thing, if it's done right, without overriding the cannon of the films. But it would make me a touch happier for the company to be largely a background part of the story, and not necessarily the driving force. I'm going to assume there's a company conspiracy, because of the presence of soldiers in the game. Just be sparing with it.

Who are these 'Clones' anyway? Was that said officially? I've been using the term as well and just now realized what that could mean.
Maybe I'm looking into that too much, but really, the concept of Clones could suggest alot of things. I hope to God they aren't going to Retcon Alien and somehow bring back people from the movies...

PRJ_since1990

For those that don't know, I sent an email to CA asking them about Isolation, more specifically "will this be a genuine, polished Alien experience?" I outlined my concerns regarding the previous games under SEGA and how the franchise and fans both get hurt when shitty unfinished products are released with the hope that the players will somehow ignore the faults and love the game. I will gladly post their reply email, should they choose to.

Powerloader

The best parts of Aliens:  Colonial Marines was when you had no weapons, such as being chased by that big alien and having to weld shut the doors behind you.  It'd be good if they could make a whole game using that kind of gameplay.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 14, 2013, 07:13:37 PM
The best parts of Aliens:  Colonial Marines was when you had no weapons, such as being chased by that big alien and having to weld shut the doors behind you.  It'd be good if they could make a whole game using that kind of gameplay.
I'd like some sections like that, but the only problem I really see with the actual gameplay element is how replayable will this new game be? It's like watching the movie... after a few times it's not shocking or really scary anymore. A factor of randomness would be extremely welcome. Such as different items are available, or there are multiple fake hits on the motion tracker (caused from other in-game objects like moving fans or machinery). A linear story is fine but they should consider that extra surprise element of will there be enough ammo, or batteries for the flashlight/motion tracker (if that's even an option) or will my equipment fail and need to be repaired like in Dead Island.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 14, 2013, 06:15:27 PM
For those that don't know, I sent an email to CA asking them about Isolation, more specifically "will this be a genuine, polished Alien experience?" I outlined my concerns regarding the previous games under SEGA and how the franchise and fans both get hurt when shitty unfinished products are released with the hope that the players will somehow ignore the faults and love the game. I will gladly post their reply email, should they choose to.

If that's the question you asked them, don't be surprised with the answer you get.

You could've asked Gearbox much the same and you would have received something along the lines of, "We're genuine life-long fans of the series and want to give it the respect it deserves."

Remember how they trumpeted stuff like spending time on trying to find exactly where to put Bishop's legs and the floor section the Queen took off to get Newt?

Which, ironically, I think SM proved wrong, anyhow... :laugh:

Dustie

Dustie

Well, well. Just when you thought it was going to be quiet for a while in this subject, all of a sudden the S hits the fan... and here we go again with the mass hysteria, the parade of expectations and excitement for the unknown.  ;) What a present for Christmas from 20th/Sega, right?

I wouldn't get my hopes up, I remember seeing screenshots from Colonial Marines and hearing about the game for years, years before it was released, and what happened? Yeah... I can't picture how would this be all that much different, with "soldiers, clones". There is supposed to be one Alien, but then will be more also... really?

What I do like, however, is that they caught me by complete surprise by having Amanda Ripley in this. This is so simple and genius, and yet nobody has thought about this before them, have they? Now when you think about it, she's obviously a mystery in the franchise and really nobody ever bothered asking any more questions about Ripley's daughter. Look how easily Burke could have fooled us. Come to think of it, since Burke was the person to inform Ripley of her daughter's death, can we even still be sure she really passed away from natural causes?...

This premise definitely has the potential to make for a game that people will actually want to be considered canon!

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 14, 2013, 09:10:06 PMhow replayable will this new game be? It's like watching the movie... after a few times it's not shocking or really scary anymore. A factor of randomness would be extremely welcome.

I said it better in another post around here somewhere, but I've always felt that a randomly-generating space station map could work so well toward this end. It could be played like we're new there, so we don't know where everything is supposed to be, anyway (as will probably be exactly the case with Amanda).

But I suspect the days of talking about what we want out of the game (and hoping CA will hear and oblige) are long over. There's only hope, now!  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed