Alien: Covenant Early Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 28, 2017, 11:27:29 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Early Reactions (Read 151,093 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 06, 2017, 10:19:26 PM
Problem is with this and Prometheus they try and cut it down under 2 hrs for some reason, when the longer cut would work much better.

Cameron had to do the same thing with Aliens, the intended version was over two hours but he was forced to cut it back by Fox.

Longer films are not automatically better and be ass numbers but more time would allow breather scenes and chances for further character development.

newagescamartist

If this was Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or a Marvel film I'd understand cutting down the run time to get in as many viewings per day as possible. Alien isn't going to make $150 million its opening weekend so I don't understand why it's so important to meet a specific run time. I have to think that this was an artistic decision to edit it in this manner.

Xenomorphine

Yeah, extended versions aren't necessarily for the better. I love the stuff in 'Aliens' which deals with the colony (it reinforces how dead it feeels by comparison, later on, when you see the residents and children going about their usual daily lives), but think it feels too coincidental to have Newt be a random last survivor and for her parents to be the ones which first encounter the creatures.

Then there are unexplained changes, like how the new version of 'Alien' reinserts the Space Jockey signal, yet changed it from genuinely unsettling audio to a generic digital signal, which makes the crew's reactions to it nonsensical.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 06, 2017, 10:41:25 PM
but think it feels too coincidental to have Newt be a random last survivor and for her parents to be the ones which first encounter the creatures.

Well said. That always bothered me too.

Ulm

Ulm

The Splashreport review says A- instead of B+. Maybe they changed their mind.

Stolen

Stolen

The embargo is lifted in France, the returns are catastrophic, worse than Prometheus ...

Stanley

Stanley

Telling a story as the goal is not the same as collecting lots of money.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Stolen on May 06, 2017, 10:53:13 PM
The embargo is lifted in France, the returns are catastrophic, worse than Prometheus ...

Well, they're French, what do you expect? Blame Derrida.

rustyredraccoon

rustyredraccoon

The Variety review hints at the end of the movie. This is a potential HUGE SPOILER

Spoiler
If David controls the creatures at the end with a "magic flute," I'm out.
[close]

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Where are the French reviews

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: Ulm on May 06, 2017, 10:47:58 PM
The Splashreport review says A- instead of B+. Maybe they changed their mind.
Yeah, I'll take a A-! That's what they gave Logan

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: rustyredraccoon on May 06, 2017, 10:58:03 PM
The Variety review hints at the end of the movie. This is a potential HUGE SPOILER

Spoiler
If David controls the creatures at the end with a "magic flute," I'm out.
[close]
I think they're talking about
Spoiler
David killing Walter with the flute. Him controlling the alien(s) with the flute would be stupid, but I can see it happening.  :-\
[close]

Richman678

Richman678

Lol where is the proof???

Xenorgue

Xenorgue

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 06, 2017, 10:54:26 PM

Well, they're French, what do you expect? Blame Derrida.

I am French and there is nothing review on the general website of review. After may be isolated review but no consensus. expect

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed