Trachtenberg Shares New Prey Details, Future Predator Sequels and a New Prey Still Shows Naru Hiding

Started by Darkness, Jun 29, 2022, 05:07:46 PM

Author
Trachtenberg Shares New Prey Details, Future Predator Sequels and a New Prey Still Shows Naru Hiding (Read 17,009 times)

Darkness

The news outlet TimeOut has published a new production still from Prey as well as an interview with director Dan Trachtenberg. There is a few interesting bits of information in there that I don’t think we’ve heard before. Trachtenberg mentions that Amber Midthunder and her co-stars went through a tough training regime before filming.

Midthunder went through a gruelling pre-movie training regimen with her First Nations co-stars. 'it was a month or two of physical training, not just to learn the choreography of the fight sequences but learning to work as a unit with the other Comanche hunters,' says Trachtenberg, who calls the Comanche warriors 'the SEAL Team Six of their time'.

The new Prey production still shows Amber Midthunder as Naru hiding behind a tree with the Predator in the background.

Trachtenberg Shares New Prey Details, Future Predator Sequels and a New Prey Still Shows Naru Hiding

Trachtenberg mentions about the Predator being 300 years older than we’ve seen and is slimmer and less armoured.

'I wanted [the Predator] to be scarier than we’ve seen it before,' he tells Time Out. 'It’s intelligent and it has advanced technology, and that makes it even more difficult to take on. But because the movie is set 300 years in the past, those things need to feel a little bit older than we’ve seen before, but also still far more advanced than what we think our earthlings would be able to handle.' The remorseless hunter-killer from space also has a new look. 'I wanted to make sure the head was more proportional to the body,' says the director. 'This predator is much slimmer and less armoured than it’s ever been. It's more 'creature'. It’s still hulking and ferocious.'

Trachtenberg also reveals the name of Naru’s dog we saw in the trailer which I don’t think has been revealed before. The dog’s name is Sarii and Naru’s relationship with it is similar to Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. The 10 Cloverfield Lane director also says that Prey was inspired by Sonny Landham’s character in the first Predator – Billy Sole, who was part Sioux himself.

Prey was filmed in Alberta, Canada and the weather and terrain there helped give the film The Revenant-like authenticity. When asked if there will be further Predator sequels after this one, Trachtenberg hints there might be.

Very possibly. ‘There are a lot of exciting ideas for what could be next for the franchise,' says Trachtenberg. 'The things that most excite me are the boldest swings and I think there’s scope to do other things that haven’t been done before.’

Be sure to keep your targets set on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for all the latest Prey news! You can also follow us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Dentdesabre

ok i think its fair to give that predator the name Wendigo.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 29, 2022, 05:07:46 PM'This predator is much slimmer and less armoured than it's ever been. It's more 'creature'.

Sounds cool. Hopefully the execution is just as cool.

Doomofman

QuoteI wanted to make sure the head was more proportional to the body,

That's the most interesting quote to me. Can't say I ever really thought the head was out of proportion to the body

SuperiorIronman

I like that they're making the tech a bit older. I mean by Predator terms given how long lived they are it's like a generation behind the "modern" films but I like that. I don't want them to say something like the plasmacaster wasn't invented yet but I like the idea of making things a bit older.

Mike’s Monsters

Liking the head proportions comment. Thought the heads have been a little oversized in a few of the most recent films. Especially Fugitive. He looked great, but his head is a little big and bobbly, especially unmasked in the lab scene.

Kailem

That's a really cool image. Definitely sells the "more creature" idea very well.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jun 29, 2022, 05:26:04 PMI like that they're making the tech a bit older. I mean by Predator terms given how long lived they are it's like a generation behind the "modern" films but I like that. I don't want them to say something like the plasmacaster wasn't invented yet but I like the idea of making things a bit older.

Yeah it's a balancing act for sure. 300 years for us is several generations, but for Predators it can well be a single lifetime. So you want to see something that's maybe a little less advanced than what we've seen before, but not to the same extent that human technology has changed in that same period of time.

I like what they've shown so far just with the cloaking tech having a red shimmer as opposed to blue, because even a small thing like that implies the technology is different than what we've seen before, but without going too over the top (and potentially limiting in terms of future movies) and saying stuff like "they just didn't even have cloaking tech yet."

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Doomofman on Jun 29, 2022, 05:17:30 PM

That's the most interesting quote to me. Can't say I ever really thought the head was out of proportion to the body

Hopefully this means multiple heads for different stuff, not just a catch all that needs to compromise features, good to hear this.

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah I like the head comment, a bit of a bobblehead effect on the Fugitive IMO. And that picture looks actually a bit scary ! Last time I associated Predator and scary was a very long time ago...

Dino21AvP

I like his comment about making the Predator scarier. I feel like that's when the creature is at it's best, when it's genuinely terrifying.

[cancerblack]

I have a real soft spot for "character hiding from monster in the forest in broad daylight with the monster in-shot but out of focus" stuff so this tickles me just right.

Kradan

Kradan

Then all of Voodoo's efforts have gone to waste

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 29, 2022, 06:24:23 PMYeah I like the head comment, a bit of a bobblehead effect on the Fugitive IMO. And that picture looks actually a bit scary ! Last time I associated Predator and scary was a very long time ago...

I don't remember ever being scared by Alien. Sure, there were chestbursting moments I used to turn my head away at but it was more of feeling uncomfortable rather than genuunely scared.

But there was a moment, one and only moment when I was actually scared by Predator. It was the first time I saw original 1987 movie. When JH started laughing at Dutch - man, little Kradan sure ran to the other room

Doomofman

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 29, 2022, 06:57:17 PM

Then all of Voodoo's efforts have gone to waste
To be fair, when I say that I'm talking about Jungle Hunter and City Hunter.

As someone else mentioned Fugitive looks like a bobblehead and Berserker has that gigantic mound of mandibles that sticks out so far birds probably land them to rest. The masks certainly sometimes feel a bit big, Falconer being the biggest offender there. I guess the AVP boys heads couldn't possibly be out of proportion due to their chonky bodies.

Basically what I'm saying is, thinking of the good predator designs, the head proportions are fine  :P

Master Chief

Old Feral better not lay an alien finger on Sarii.

Wysps

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed