[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (20%)
I do not like the new face design
73 (48.7%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 136,635 times)

BlueMarsalis79

I think Prey's easily ADI's best work since AlienĀ³ but (It's fitting it's their last film.) the design itself in Prey could have been better proportioned like in the art and figure. It just needed a last refinement. 

Xenomrph

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 06, 2023, 08:05:30 PMI believe in one of the interviews Ridgetop and Aaron did with Dan, he even admits he went too far with the face after hearing the reception.
Glad to hear it, I'm still very much not a fan of Feral's face.

I get the thought and care that went into the reasoning behind the design change, and I can respect it.

But the end result makes some of the Emissary Predator designs in 'The Predator' look downright delectable.

Really looking forward to getting the NECA figure for Feral. Also really looking forward to putting the mask on and never taking it off.

bobcunk

Quote from: BritishActorFromAlien3 on Dec 04, 2023, 12:52:31 AMIt seems, to me at least, that what they're trying to do is similar to how contemporary brands redesign cars, phones, etc. They just drop a new look for whatever they produce (in this case the predator) and kinda force you to get used to it and convince you that the previous/original design is outdated.
I don't like this new appearance. It looks as if it's redesigned just for the sake of having a redesign.
It doesn't even look like a predator.
As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 05, 2023, 02:11:36 AMI wonder how well it can even see with those inflated brows covering a portion of their eye sight?
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 05, 2023, 02:11:36 AMI wonder how well it can even see with those inflated brows covering a portion of their eye sight?
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 06, 2023, 08:05:30 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 06, 2023, 07:58:55 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 06, 2023, 07:52:46 PMIt wasn't Tom and Alec who had the final say or direction on the look though. It all came from Dan. He directed them to go a certain way and he made the final call. Tom and Alec just lead the team after they're given the direction.

Even so, look at the Hot Toys version, slight tweaking of proportions but much better looking.

Yes. But that... isn't the same as the director giving them direction to pull back on the traditional look. Thats a toy based off of that look. And yeah, the toy tweaks look nice. But like, it's not hard to see it's not on Tom and Alec, it was Dan's decision. They also replaced the face with CGI. Nothing ADI did there, that's all direction from Dan. So I'm just not sure why ADI is the sole blame over and over again.

Are people critiquing the face of Feral here, or that ADI even worked on the movie? I believe in one of the interviews Ridgetop and Aaron did with Dan, he even admits he went too far with the face after hearing the reception.
They didn't change the design for for the cgi they only tweaked it a little to ad more muscle movement but I actually like the design and fund it is actually the scariest looking of all the Predators and I can believe this is just another race or subspecies.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 06, 2023, 08:05:30 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 06, 2023, 07:58:55 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 06, 2023, 07:52:46 PMIt wasn't Tom and Alec who had the final say or direction on the look though. It all came from Dan. He directed them to go a certain way and he made the final call. Tom and Alec just lead the team after they're given the direction.

Even so, look at the Hot Toys version, slight tweaking of proportions but much better looking.

Yes. But that... isn't the same as the director giving them direction to pull back on the traditional look. Thats a toy based off of that look. And yeah, the toy tweaks look nice. But like, it's not hard to see it's not on Tom and Alec, it was Dan's decision. They also replaced the face with CGI. Nothing ADI did there, that's all direction from Dan. So I'm just not sure why ADI is the sole blame over and over again.

Are people critiquing the face of Feral here, or that ADI even worked on the movie? I believe in one of the interviews Ridgetop and Aaron did with Dan, he even admits he went too far with the face after hearing the reception.
I had a brief conversation with Tom at a convention a few years ago
He told me exactly what you had written, namely that the final decision always lies with the director and that they often have to do things that they don't necessarily like.
I already mentioned that in relation to the terrible aliens in AvP-R. So I never want to blame ADI alone for anything.
But the fact is that all ADI designs, be it Predator or Alien or even The Thing, simply don't really work anymore.
I'm not saying that CGI is better, because as we all know it actually isn't, but I'm just wondering why this development at ADI has taken place so obviously recently.
I mean, is it really true that Jeunet said he wanted the aliens to have teeth like a horse? or that the chestbursters must look like sperm whales ?  Or did he say: "oh yeah, that looks good enough, let's get going, we have a schedule to stick to". ? It just so happens that the designer gets scolded by the public for not making the creatures look so good.
Of course, it's also a bit unfair if you look at it superficially.
The credits just say ADI and not "bad decision by the director"
In contrast, I still think their Alien 3 designs are great and some of the best the series has to offer
Whether Bamby, Dog Alien, Bishop, Queenhuggy and Queenchestburster,
they still look great even today

Nightmare Asylum

I like the Feral Predator.

BlueMarsalis79

I can not wait to see what comes of all the teams working together on Romulus, in large part because I think this was a good finale for ADI, one solid on Alien one solid on Predator- fittingly their first and last projects.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Had a 2am realization....

I made a jab that Feral's backpack needed leather straps to physically hold it in place, as it looks ridiculous that it looks like it's just glued there....

BUT I realized that all the Predator masks throughout the series is just hanging on to their face without any straps or other kind of threading to hold it in place like other helmets that humans used like for space, diving in the ocean, wielding metals together. They jump, run, leap, and do all sorts of physical actions that would have their mask physically just slip off the face, as anyone would when doing this sort of thing in real life....

SO NOW, I'm thinking....is this some kind of unknown physic based Predator tech that was right there under our noses the entire time? The design was actually unintentionally consistent with lore the whole time  :laugh: I know the real answer is no, it was all just coincidence but I just love how it all just falls into place in how these items just don't fall off.

426Buddy

Never had an issue with it myself, thought it looked pretty cool.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 14, 2023, 08:28:04 PMBUT I realized that all the Predator masks throughout the series is just hanging on to their face without any straps or other kind of threading to hold it in place like other helmets that humans used like for space, diving in the ocean, wielding metals together. They jump, run, leap, and do all sorts of physical actions that would have their mask physically just slip off the face, as anyone would when doing this sort of thing in real life....
In the first three films they're suctioned on. The Predators release the pressure before taking off the masks.

This only stopped in later movies when they started streamlining the Predator technology and taking all of the little details that made the suits look like functional technology and not sci-fi magic.

Local Trouble

Like the body net?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 15, 2023, 01:20:55 AMLike the body net?
And all the wiring.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SiL on Dec 15, 2023, 12:29:02 AMThis only stopped in later movies when they started streamlining the Predator technology and taking all of the little details that made the suits look like functional technology and not sci-fi magic.
True. It started back in Predators 2010 when the masks didn't have those same pressure wiring tubes attached to the mask to indicate functional tech.

It's still ironic that the reasoning to the backpack attached to nothing but simple skin can be attribute to unknown tech in the same manner that how masks are attached to faces without any real thing to hold on to place, when it comes to terms with recent films.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 16, 2023, 03:17:42 AM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 15, 2023, 12:29:02 AMThis only stopped in later movies when they started streamlining the Predator technology and taking all of the little details that made the suits look like functional technology and not sci-fi magic.
True. It started back in Predators 2010 when the masks didn't have those same pressure wiring tubes attached to the mask to indicate functional tech.

It's still ironic that the reasoning to the backpack attached to nothing but simple skin can be attribute to unknown tech in the same manner that how masks are attached to faces without any real thing to hold on to place, when it comes to terms with recent films.
It's kind of really bad design considering this was 300 years before the first movie. He should've had more straps and tubes, not less.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Dec 16, 2023, 05:03:54 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 16, 2023, 03:17:42 AM

It's kind of really bad design considering this was 300 years before the first movie. He should've had more straps and tubes, not less.

Did he have a body net?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed