Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,927 times)

Sabby

Sabby

I finished original. Was... okay. I laughed twice I think. Was tempted to stop at the party scene. That neighbor character was horrendous to sit through.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Saw this last night. It was very enjoyable. It works well as a straight comedy, but starts to lose it's way towards the end, when it just follows in the footsteps of the original. To be fair, redundancy is a plague in the world of modern franchise blockbusters, no matter the label given: remake, reboot, sequel, etc. Anyways, I'd give it a 7/10.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Here is what I thought in a spoiler-heavy review:

Rather than bring something new to the table to warrant it's own existence, the 2016 Ghostbusters lazily kicks over the table and points and laughs the mess. The characters have absolutely no energy and a complete lack of chemistry with one another. While the moments of non-dialogue were part of the humour in the original, in this movie when the 4 main cast stop their obvious improv lines and there is silence, it is deafening. Beats left in to allow the joke to work, or to give the audience a moment to process and laugh, feels really awkward, and you can just imagine hearing crickets while the cast beam silently, ecstatic with the misguided opinion that they are hilarious.
The mayor and the officials of New York act like the Sony execs. "No, don't go out there announcing yourself as the Ghostbusters, we have many sequels we want you to appear in. Let's stretch this out as humanly possible." so you don't get the rags to riches storyline. You don't get the montage of progression. They get quickly moved away in the aftermath so there is no glory. The interaction with their clients and fans was some of the best moments of the original, here the best we get is some copied and pasted comments from youtube referencing the politics behind the movie which I hated. And all of this missed opportunity is for nothing as soon enough there are ghosts everywhere, so the plotline of convincing the public the Ghostbusters were frauds was a huge waste of the movie's time.
There has been a lot of praise for Chris Hemsworth, but I was straight faced during every one of his witty lines of dialogue. He is an absolute moron, to the point where the fact he doesn't have a carer makes it improbable that he is still alive. But what makes the Ghostbusters collectively even more stupid is the fact that after Hemsworth displaying these moronic traits, they still go ahead an employ him. Much of his interview is devoted to his ideas for corporate identity (Both logos not used) as if somehow a good receptionist means being able to produce clip art.
The exposition is presented like a saturday morning cartoon. After catching and releasing one ghost, they manage to create a map of ley lines to find the source easily enough. Rowan does his usual 'I will rule all!" monologues but you never really understand his motives, but worse, you don't care. You just know it's integral to the overall plot, and if it means sitting through tedious villain plot points to get some actual ghostbusting, you endure it.
They seem to have a never ending source of funds to produce ghostbusters equipment, and somehow zapping a physical bin or bike without going near a ghost is a legitimate way to test them. Ghost traps are a way of containing them, but even the movie forgets that after it's first use, and it is now possible to shoot them until they explode, or just shred them.
Everything just sort of limps along as if powered by the original movie's energy but never garners enough to actually put it into it's own movie. The cameos are lazy and every reference to the 1984 film is less subtle than having the dvd of the original repeatedly smacked across your face.
The product placement is consistent to the point of sickening. Don't be deluded that by supporting this film, you are supporting equal rights and equality in Hollywood. You are supporting Sony, Pringles, Papa Johns, H&M and Walmart. There are better written, wittier and smarter female leads in film out there much more deserving of your admiration, and given the forum I'm sure you can think of a few.

The ending makes no sense. Why does Rowan get these superpowers? If he has never been popular and suddenly he is in the body of Chris Hemsworth, who was appealing to women despite having the brain of a mouse, why doesn't he just continue his life in that vessel? Why does Rowan give them the choice of his form, then ignore them? Why do all the people freeze like they are about to start a dance number and not do anything, but appear in the credits doing a full dance routine? Did this actually happen? Why does Rowan turn into the cartoon Ghostbusters logo and the red circle a bow tie? Why do ghosts attack the Ghostbusters one by one? Are they on Rowans side or just of their own free will? How are the Ghostbusters such amazing shots and acrobats with only one ghost catching experience in which they were completely incompetent? Why do they not need contained anymore? Why does Slimer steal the car and then drive back again? Why does a nuke turn a portal into a huge ghost trap? Why does Kirsten Wigg and Melissa McCarthy's hair turn white? Why are there parade balloons? - are they relics of the past controlled by ghosts, or are they actually ghosts? Why then do they pop like balloons when jabbed with a Swiss Army Knifeā„¢? Why does Rowan not chase the Ghostbusters (the main threat) when he transforms but instead decide to mindlessly smash up buildings? But most annoyingly, why is it that when the portal closes up that everything returns to normal? All the buildings are intact, and the people frozen in dance moves were definitely killed during the building collapse. They are alive again? But a firetruck is still on it's side? There is no consequence to death or destruction unless a portal is open?

It's not funny so fails as a comedy. It's not original so fails as a premise. There is nothing new here so it fails as a reboot. It mimics much of the beats of the original, but to a much lesser quality so fails as a remake. It is instantly forgettable and the story flatlines so it fails as a movie.
I understand that the media has had a field day covering the production of this movie, labelling every naysayer as a misogynist, so they can't very well turn around and say that those naysayers were right and that this is a terrible movie, but I am really disappointed in several publications and their kindness in critiquing this film. At no point did it feel a quality film put together with love or pride. At no point did it feel like an entertaining comedy. The scariest bit was the end promising of a sequel. I can only hope that with time, when the dust has settled behind Ghostbustersgate, people will see this movie for what it is; Cheap, lazy, forgettable and worst of all, unjustified by it's own existence. The effects already look dated, the greenscreen sets in the finale disjoin you as a viewer from all reality to the point of not caring. The characters just spend time in each others company without really feeling like friends or a team, and the best thing for this movie to do is to fade into obscurity so just like when people say "Have you seen Psycho?" you know they are asking about the original.

5/10 as a generic dumb Adam Sandler action comedy from the studio that brought you Pixels.

3/10 as a Ghostbusters movie

And Spidey, shrugging your shoulders and saying "Eh? Hollywood is fvckd anyway. We can't expect better - 7/10" is indicative of the mindset that allows for the corporate wheels to keep churning. I heavily advise anyone not to put your money towards seeing this manufactured bs. Not even for the sake of this movie, it's out now, it was greenlit and exists. I'm talking about the studio mentality that taking a beloved name and slapping it on a cg turd makes money. It needs to be stopped. Deadpool is proof that when someone gets it right, the studios notice. They will notice when something goes wrong too, and that godforsaken day when I go on Youtube to find a Back to the Future remake starring Zac Efron might still never happen.

Shinawi

Shinawi

Quote from: Spidey3121 on Jul 20, 2016, 08:26:01 PM
Saw this last night. It was very enjoyable. It works well as a straight comedy, but starts to lose it's way towards the end, when it just follows in the footsteps of the original. To be fair, redundancy is a plague in the world of modern franchise blockbusters, no matter the label given: remake, reboot, sequel, etc. Anyways, I'd give it a 7/10.
This is the problem with a lot of the corporations - the decision makers fear the failure from new ideas. So they stick to old ideas.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Shinawi on Jul 22, 2016, 04:16:53 PM
This is the problem with a lot of the corporations - the decision makers fear the failure from new ideas. So they stick to old ideas.

From everything I've read, the final product's tone is very much in line with what was written for the pitch Feig made in that leaked E-mail, with very few departures. Even the dance number was apparently filmed and is apparently going to be placed in the extended version.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 17, 2016, 01:12:09 PM
There are two reasons why this movie has gotten a bunch of decent reviews (by official sites).

1. Because some people are wanting to get back at the huge backlash it received, basically so they can point and say 'we were right and you were wrong'.

2. They are indeed pushing an agenda, and that agenda is helping women get equality in movies. This might make you roll your eyes but its true. If this movie fails then it will seriously harm the future of female driven movies, that's not a good thing, but it probably will because the bigwigs in Hollywood are idiots. Yes there will always be strong female characters, but the idea of having films like this, with females having the majority of the leading roles could well be affected if Ghostbusters doesn't do well. This is why many official sites are completely pushing this movie in the name of 'progression'. The fact that its full of sexism and racial stereotypes apparently goes unnoticed.

Example, right at the start of this official site article it says, 'THERE ARE AMPLE REASONS to go see Ghostbusters: supporting women'. That sums it all up frankly, that's all this is about.

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/kate-mckinnon-appreciation/

3. there are people that like Paul fieg movies?

I never seen one of this films but i get the impression that all his films are like what this GB turned out to be.

So there could be people that dont care about the the real Ghostbusters but have seen Bridermaids and whatever else and are fine with what this movie ended up being.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Jul 22, 2016, 03:02:57 PM
And Spidey, shrugging your shoulders and saying "Eh? Hollywood is fvckd anyway. We can't expect better - 7/10" is indicative of the mindset that allows for the corporate wheels to keep churning.

I never said those words. And I honestly found the film to be enjoyable. It was funny. I thought so anyways, & I'm not the only one. What are your thoughts on Jurassic World, or Force Awakens? Those are 2 of the more successful & well seemingly well liked examples of what I was referring to when I cited Hollywood's redundancy issue. Both films are near remakes of well liked stories masquerading as sequels. Sure, I found both enjoyable, but I wouldn't heap praise on either. I'm still amazed at the number of people that outright loved Force Awakens. That's the whole point though, isn't it? We liked it the first time, so we'll like it again. It doesn't always work. People were seemingly pissed when Hangover 2 used the exact same plot from Hangover 1. As for Ghostbusters, I even said in my brief write-up that I felt it floundered in the backhalf when it committed itself to following in the footsteps of the original.

Vertigo

Vertigo

It does seem like there's a slow backlash building over Force Awakens. Felt like I was the only person with anything bad to say about it at the time, but I've been hearing more and more of it online over the last few weeks.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Well I just got back from seeing it, better than first, but not as good as the second.

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

I only liked Bridesmaids really. Spy was okay-ish but not that great. Ghostbusters: The Remake, if what Red Letter Media has to say rings true (and I usually trust them)it's not worth the time and effort.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 24, 2016, 11:08:28 PM
Well I just got back from seeing it, better than first, but not as good as the second.

???  :(   :o

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Vertigo on Jul 24, 2016, 09:58:01 PM
It does seem like there's a slow backlash building over Force Awakens. Felt like I was the only person with anything bad to say about it at the time, but I've been hearing more and more of it online over the last few weeks.

Funny as someone who likes TFA, since release i havent seen any forum or talk back online that wasnt hating on the film.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

The movie has been out for two weeks and has yet to make back its production money. If that isn't a testament to it being bad I don't know what is.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 29, 2016, 02:03:51 PM
The movie has been out for two weeks and has yet to make back its production money. If that isn't a testament to it being bad I don't know what is.

Not according to Sony. Making a huge loss is a 'triumph' and a 'huge success' apparently. The GEU is beginning! Or it might just go the way of the failed Spiderman GEU hopefully.

On a similar note, how similar was the showdown in Amazing Spiderman 2 and Ghostbusters? Times Square is a great excuse for product placement. I bet they reused assets from AS2 too, the cheap sods.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

With all the ridiculous tax write offs and incentives handed down on a silver platter to the film industry, Sony isn't going to lose a dime with this turd. The movie is a dud but some how avoided being a bomb.

Still this movie is terrible.... I mean I'm a person that likes to come to terms with opposing view points but it's been a while since I was so bored that I wanted to get up and leave. Hell I think that was the general sentiment of the crowd, except for some reason it was so dark that no one could see the exit. When the credits ended and the lights came on, we were defeated and I felt bad for the few people that liked the movie. It was like Tom Brady deflated the air from the theater.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed