Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,926 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 17, 2016, 04:34:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUbXtE_ui0
I find it quite disturbing that I agree with this character. It did feel like a sitcom production.

Hubbs

Hubbs

There are two reasons why this movie has gotten a bunch of decent reviews (by official sites).

1. Because some people are wanting to get back at the huge backlash it received, basically so they can point and say 'we were right and you were wrong'.

2. They are indeed pushing an agenda, and that agenda is helping women get equality in movies. This might make you roll your eyes but its true. If this movie fails then it will seriously harm the future of female driven movies, that's not a good thing, but it probably will because the bigwigs in Hollywood are idiots. Yes there will always be strong female characters, but the idea of having films like this, with females having the majority of the leading roles could well be affected if Ghostbusters doesn't do well. This is why many official sites are completely pushing this movie in the name of 'progression'. The fact that its full of sexism and racial stereotypes apparently goes unnoticed.

Example, right at the start of this official site article it says, 'THERE ARE AMPLE REASONS to go see Ghostbusters: supporting women'. That sums it all up frankly, that's all this is about.

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/kate-mckinnon-appreciation/

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 17, 2016, 01:12:09 PM
There are two reason why this movie has gotten a bunch of decent reviews (by official sites).

1. Because some people are wanting to get back at the huge backlash it received, basically so they can point and say 'we were right and you were wrong'.

2. They are indeed pushing an agenda, and that agenda is helping women get equality in movies. This might make you roll your eyes but its true. If this movie fails then it will seriously harm the future of female driven movies, that's not a good thing, but it probably will because the bigwigs in Hollywood are idiots. Yes there will always be strong female characters, but the idea of having films like this, with females having the majority of the leading roles could well be affected if Ghostbusters doesn't do well. This is why many official sites are completely pushing this movie in the name of 'progression'. The fact that its full of sexism and racial stereotypes apparently goes unnoticed.

Example, right at the start of this official site article it says, 'THERE ARE AMPLE REASONS to go see Ghostbusters: supporting women'. That sums it all up frankly, that's all this is about.

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/kate-mckinnon-appreciation/
I just hope hollywood stops rebooting great franchises.

genocyber

genocyber

I heard a rumor they want to make an all female remake of Blues Brothers.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Joe was angry:

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: genocyber on Jul 17, 2016, 09:01:15 PM
I heard a rumor they want to make an all female remake of Blues Brothers.
I never liked that movie so adding women could help.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Saw this at weekend. Didn't want to but because I've managed to avoid seeing a lot of the films the lady thought looked good and I didn't, I thought I'd take one for the team. It was ok. Middle ground, ok. Not terrible but nothing good either. I thought most of the jokes fell flat (some worked though). I didn't think the characters or actors had any chemistry going on.

McCarthy I'm not really a fan of. Wigg I do actually like but I didn't really buy her in this. I actually really enjoyed Bridesmaids and the smaller bit parts she'd had in various things, especially when she's playing it dry. Jones played far too stereotypical black woman in New York. Though she had a few moments I enjoyed - the ghost on her shoulders bit. McKinnon I loved and may actually be in love with. Easily the highlight for me and I really can't wait to see her in more.

Otherwise, eeehhhhhh. The bad guy...it was just like what's the point. However, Hemsworth being possessed was quite fun. You could tell he was enjoying it. Forgettable film for me.

Sabby

Sabby

I will be fair. Of the clips I've seen, I kind of liked the fight scene in (what I assume to be) Times Square. I don't know the context of it, but I assume they're throwing ghosts into each other because only they can touch each other? They used the beams like lassos and were spinning/tossing them into each other like bowling pins. That looked like something that a good Ghostbusters movie would probably have, just with better dialogue.

From what I can gather, the big difference between this and the originals is the brand of comedy. In the original, the characters were usually the butt of the joke, playing straight and reacting to things that were funny. Here... they're f**king cartoon characters. And not even good ones. A bunch of wacky, obnoxious c**ts who think conversations are just a series of easy jokes one after the other, and then the scene transitions to the next clean slate for jokes to be made. They're not the butt of the joke, they are the joke, and so propel themselves along through the film, but don't have the talent or writing to do it effectively.

That's just what I could gather from the sparing footage I've seen and the half dozen or so reviews I've watched. Even if this were a good sketch comedy film, it would still be a strange fit for the series, and it just shows they don't have any love or appreciation for the series. "Oh, we bought a comedy series to pull our untalented asses up onto? Well we better be funny then" Yeah, no, comedy is not one single thing. There are schools of comedy, and you would know that if you were actually funny.

Screw it, I'm going to watch the original Ghostbusters and replay the 2009 game. I'm curious now. Maybe I'll like it better this time around.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Its so amusing how official sites are trying to big up the films weekend performance. It pretty much failed on its opening weekend, couldn't even beat a week old movie, only managed 46 mill after predictions of 50+, and yet everyone is saying its still gonna be a hit lol!

What biased, agenda pushing world do we live in?? oh wait  ::)

This...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 15, 2016, 12:24:52 PM
At my theater we're giving away mini flashlights for those that pay extra for the theater with better sound and leather seats.

Are the flashlights given away so that it's easier for people who can't stand it anymore to walk out?

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 18, 2016, 03:43:57 PM
Quote from: Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Jul 15, 2016, 12:24:52 PM
At my theater we're giving away mini flashlights for those that pay extra for the theater with better sound and leather seats.

Are the flashlights given away so that it's easier for people who can't stand it anymore to walk out?

Boom! Where's my mic dropping gif when I need it :D

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Not to beat a dead horse but yea it is bad. I'm truly trying to see where 73% of rotten tomato reviews are saying this was a fresh movie. This is pixels bad. It's pretty damn close to skyline bad. It's bad comedy.

Sabby

Sabby

Hmmm... might be a bit early, but I'm 20 minutes into the original Ghostbusters, and the acting seems a bit strange. It's not bad, just... eh, struggling to find the word for it. Disjointed? Help me out here.

Edit: Aaaand it's fine now. Weird. It's like a few scenes have less direction for the actors, but it seems much better once they get to the hotel.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Just got back from seeing it. I laughed a few times, it's very exuberant, and the effects are amazing. It's not great though - most particularly, it's just not funny enough. The original film wasn't exactly a hysterical laugh riot, but made up for it with creativity and atmosphere. Not a whole lot of that with this film, which is effective a straight re-tread. To get away with that, it needed to crank up the comedy, and there wasn't enough.

First thing I thought back when they did the reveal for new Ghostbusters wasn't "how dare they remake a classic" or "it's feminism gone maaaaad", it was misgivings about the talent involved. Paul Feig's writing is patchy at best, and Kristen Wiig seemed to be the only member of the cast with particular comedy chops. That's turned out to be a fully realised misgiving, as the script is by far the weakest element, and it feels like there was very little improv room even for Kristen, let alone the rest.

There's a post from me somewhere way back in this thread, and one I'd still repeat after seeing the film, that I really wish they'd involved some accomplished stand-ups on the script and cast. Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes, Kristen Schaal, Katherine Ryan, Chelsea Peretti, Tina Fey... their involvement isn't necessarily a seal of quality (no comedian has a 100% track record in cinema as far as I know), but at least guarantees a few extra gags thrown in during filming, or into the script if they're allowed treatment. There's nobody like that involved in the film as far as I know (aside from Kristen Wiig who has no script credit), and it really hurt the film. Teetering on whether it merits a 3/5.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Some points to remember:

Matt's been giving some fairly good analysis in regards to this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed