How is Predators (2010) any better than The Predator (2018)?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 21, 2019, 02:24:41 PM

Author
How is Predators (2010) any better than The Predator (2018)? (Read 12,576 times)

Voodoo Magic

Upon first viewing, I actually preferred "The Predator" to "Predators", because at least "The Predator" felt different... not repeating the same beats of the original per say. But that position did not hold up with repeat viewings unfortunately, and "The Predator" now circles at the bottom of my list. :-\

CelticP

I don't know what I missed, but I think my point was proven about getting too hurt by media. I dunno. There's just so much worse stuff going on for me to get mad at a movie any more. Disappointed sure, but angry? Ehh.

Also another reason why Predators is better is Walton Goggins. Walton Goggins is a treasure in any movie. Even GI Joe which managed to waste him, but also at the same time, still give a better performance than anyone else in the cast.

Highland

Quote from: CelticP on Mar 03, 2019, 10:21:48 PM
Quote from: Highland on Mar 02, 2019, 05:53:24 AM

When you bust the lore open because it's "Predator" or because its "Star Wars" that's not going to fly with the fans.
The older I get, the less and less I relate to the fans. The Last Jedi is my second favorite Star Wars, and Ridley Scott's Alien prequels are among my favorite things released in the past decade. Burst open that lore, beat it, and eat it. See what comes out the other side, I say.

They're just stories.

Well that's cool.

** Types reply on site dedicated to Alien and Predator Lore.

CelticP

I thought it was a site about the movies

D88M

Every aspect of The Predator is worst than in Predators, which as already not a good movie, that is as brief as i can be about this subject.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: CelticP on Mar 05, 2019, 07:14:26 AM
I thought it was a site about the movies

It's more comprehensive than that LOL

Hudson

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 02, 2019, 10:55:51 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Mar 02, 2019, 09:25:23 PM
There are barely any Predators in the movie Predators.
Well, there were 4 predators, plus the characters who were also technically predators on Earth.

My gripe is with the screen time ratio. There are barely any predators in the movie for most of the running time. It's pretty damn boring, especially when the characters I have to spend the remaining time with are a bunch of assholes I don't care about. And don't get me wrong, all of the characters in Predator seem like assholes. I don't think I'd want to be friends with them. But there's some fun and play with their camaraderie. I didn't think anything about the characters in Predators was fun in the least. Adrien Brody was just a douchebag the whole time, and he played Jason Statham. I know the character is Royce, but he's playing Jason Statham, playing Royce. And it's ridiculous. It's one thing to follow Arnold Schwarzenegger with a tired old cop in Danny Glover for Predator 2. It's another thing when you emulate Arnold Schwarzenegger with Adrien Brody talking in Batman voice. I don't think I'll ever be able to take that casting choice seriously.

And I guess when you think about it, Topher Grace fits right in with the random assortment of comedy-associated people who've appeared across the franchises, including:

Paul Riser
Dan Hedaya to a certain degree
David Hornsby
Danny McBride
James Franco
Keegan-Michael Key

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 05, 2019, 03:07:07 PMIt's one thing to follow Arnold Schwarzenegger with a tired old cop in Danny Glover for Predator 2.

Hey that's not Mike Harrigan you speak of. That's Roger Murtaugh!

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 05, 2019, 03:07:07 PM
I don't think I'd want to be friends with them.

This made me laugh more than it should. I don't think that was the goal while writing that group of individuals.

Adrien Brody was just a douchebag the whole time

He is a goddamn mercenary, that by the Hemingway quote seemed to do it more for fun than money. He is a predator, he is exactly the kind of guy Predators would want to hunt and could have a shot of surviving against them. That was the point of his character, he is a lone survivor and he will do what he needs to survive, worrying about people thinking you are big meanie in that scenario is dumb. It would be unrealistic and boring to have a killer act like a stereotypical nice guy.

And his philosophy was there to clash with Isabele's mindset, thus served as a way to develop the relationship between the 2 characters through the movie.

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 05, 2019, 03:07:07 PMIt's one thing to follow Arnold Schwarzenegger with a tired old cop in Danny Glover for Predator 2.

Harrigan was never shown like that on the movie, just by the opening sequence where he kills the criminals its clear he is not slowing down. The guy was the best, most experienced and craziest cop on the city,

Voodoo Magic

Hudson

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 05, 2019, 06:46:41 PM
I don't think that was the goal while writing that group of individuals.

I wasn't trying to argue that. I was making a comparison to the fact that in neither case, Predator or Predators, do I want to be personally affiliated, friends with, in any proximity to these characters. They're all assholes in some context. But there's a pretty big difference when I like and enjoy all the assholes of the first film, and feel bored and irritated by the characters in Predators.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 05, 2019, 06:46:41 PM
Adrien Brody was just a douchebag the whole time

He is a goddamn mercenary, that by the Hemingway quote seemed to do it more for fun than money. He is a predator, he is exactly the kind of guy Predators would want to hunt and could have a shot of surviving against them. That was the point of his character, he is a lone survivor and he will do what he needs to survive, worrying about people thinking you are big meanie in that scenario is dumb. It would be unrealistic and boring to have a killer act like a stereotypical nice guy.

And his philosophy was there to clash with Isabele's mindset, thus served as a way to develop the relationship between the 2 characters through the movie.

Harrigan was never shown like that on the movie, just by the opening sequence where he kills the criminals its clear he is not slowing down. The guy was the best, most experienced and craziest cop on the city,

You can explain to me the function of all of the characters and the reasoning behind why they are functioning in said capacity all day. Doing so doesn't automatically cause me to appreciate the decisions the filmmakers made. Acknowledging that something is operating as intended within the rules of a narrative doesn't equate appreciation. And when did I ever say I wanted him to be a nice guy? He can be a douchebag all day, but there needs to be some dynamism to it. There isn't any with Royce.

Royce is a mercenary? A cold-blooded killer? Fine. So were the main characters in the first film. Except they're an enjoyable group to spend time with. The characters in Predators are not. There's a missing ingredient. It's chemistry, regardless of the defense of authorial intent regarding how hard and tough this bunch is supposed to be. Being around them is a chore, so for my taste it was a mistake because the filmmakers didn't pull it off. And Adrien Brody isn't intimidating. He's not a mercenary. I couldn't care less how tough the character is, how dirty he gets, how deep he can growl. His presence is laughable. Without the guns, it's just stupid. He's a boring, uninspired character played by someone who was miscast.

And I'm not the person who thinks characters need to be likable. DeNiro, Bale, and Theron all pulled off their roles in Taxi Driver, American Psycho, and Monster while still exuding an engaging and compelling presence.

As far as Harrigan, you're right.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 05, 2019, 07:03:22 PM
BOOM!

https://i.imgur.com/1p5BAIc.gif?noredirect

Assuming the characters had the same age as the actors, Harrigan is only 4 years older than Dutch. So I never got that complain from fans.

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 05, 2019, 07:18:04 PM
I wasn't trying to argue that. I was making a comparison to the fact that in neither case, Predator or Predators, do I want to be personally affiliated, friends with, in any proximity to these characters. They're all assholes in some context. But there's a pretty big difference when I like and enjoy all the assholes of the first film, and feel bored and irritated by the characters in Predators.

I might get that in regards to some of the Predators characters, Isabele and Nikolai weren't all bad... and Dutch's team? Nah I like them, they are a rescue team, not assassins. Only movie I could think most characters are just assholes would be Alien 3's inmates, heck probably AR as well.

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 05, 2019, 07:18:04 PM
You can explain to me the function of all of the characters and the reasoning behind why they are functioning in said capacity all day. Doing so doesn't automatically cause me to appreciate the decisions the filmmakers made. Acknowledging that something is operating as intended within the rules of a narrative doesn't equate appreciation. And when did I ever say I wanted him to be a nice guy? He can be a douchebag all day, but there needs to be some dynamism to it. There isn't any with Royce.

Royce is a mercenary? A cold-blooded killer? Fine. So were the main characters in the first film. Except they're an enjoyable group to spend time with. The characters in Predators are not. There's a missing ingredient. It's chemistry, regardless of the defense of authorial intent regarding how hard and tough this bunch is supposed to be. Being around them is a chore, so for my taste it was a mistake because the filmmakers didn't pull it off. And Adrien Brody isn't intimidating. He's not a mercenary. I couldn't care less how tough the character is, how dirty he gets, how deep he can growl. His presence is laughable. Without the guns, it's just stupid. He's a boring, uninspired character played by someone who was miscast.

I think some characters on Predators weren't used as well as they could, but Royce was, as well as Isabele and I enjoyed those 2 together. I liked Adrien on the movie, he might not look like Arnold but I think he played his part well. Not sure if its due to his looks that you mean in regards to not being intimidating or his presence, but I don't think that was much of a issue.

The Kurgan

I also liked Brody as Royce.

Him not beeing a loudmouth or looking like a bodybuilder like some of Dutche's crew did not make him any less intimidating for me. I thought he seemed pretty hard-boiled and lethal.

Highland

I thought the Predators cast were pretty solid.

For me Predators had a couple of issues that would have made it even better - The side journey with crazy Lawrence could have been done much better - like him actually helping them, then sacrificing himself. Also they should never have found the Predator Base at the opening, that should have been another confrontation - then the base at the end. Felt cheap.

Outside of that I thought the movie was pretty decent.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Alice Braga, Topher Grace and Adrien Brody were great in Predators. The rest was just cast as prey for the Predators.

I don't know, but how long does it take in the original movie for the Predator to reveal itself fully? An hour? Until the big reveal I believe you only see glimpses of it and his view of the Arnie crew.

Also, I didn't give 2 shits about anyone except Arnie and Billy Dee.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed