Aliens Versus Predator 2 License status

Started by The Cruentus, Jan 14, 2024, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Aliens Versus Predator 2 License status (Read 2,735 times)

BlueMarsalis79

I wish we could get an AVP with the story presentation and world building of 2001, the lighting and dynamism of 2000 (Alien gameplay in particular as well), and the realism of AVP 2010.

lost dragon

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 25, 2024, 11:35:52 PMI wish we could get an AVP with the story presentation and world building of 2001, the lighting and dynamism of 2000 (Alien gameplay in particular as well), and the realism of AVP 2010.

It's been a good 13 years since I last played through the SP campaign on PS3 AVP,I think I spent more time on trying to get online gaming sessions sorted, servers never seemed overly active.

But which aspects of realism would you like to see?

I personally disliked the fact the A.I routines had taken a massive step back from the PC Classic AVP Rebellion had created years before.

I put it to Rebellion themselves and Jason Kingsley said...

"...  I think the market had changed and there were more mass market pressures on us to make the game easier and more non-core gamer friendly if that makes any sense"

I seem to remember you could use your weapon butt to melee attack off Xeno-attacks, which I found a little weak.

BlueMarsalis79

I played through it on the fourteenth anniversary on the Xbox Series X recently, as for realism I mean the way it looked primarily not just aping the films entirely but not the graphic novel fair of the prior entry.

As for the rock paper scissors melee system I can hardly call it realistic.

solace97

I enjoyed AVP 2010 I just wish it had a longer campaign and the multiplayer wasn't so glitchy and you didn't get caught in the kill orgies. But yeah I bought the OG PC games a while back and I remember playing them for the first time and damn they were fun! Definitely see the hype around them, they just need a modern update

Still Collating...

2010 is full of flaws, but no other Alien game has done the animations so fluidly for the Alien NPC attacks and wall walking especially. I wanna see fast and smooth wall walking again with almost black Aliens like in 2010. The other stuff from AvP2 and Classic like Blue said, of course.

The Cruentus

Its stealth/trophy kills were very satisfying for sure. I agree with Blue in that the next AVP game should take the best parts of the old ones, though of course also doing something new as not to rehash, unless of course its a remake/remaster.

BlueMarsalis79

Stealth kills make sense for Aliens and Predators, finisher moves are cool, but making them the one mechanic?

That was a total mistake though.

The Cruentus

It was flawed too as I recall getting executed like that even when I was a good distance away, and same when I killed someone with it. They could have jumped away and they still got killed.

Le Celticant

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 27, 2024, 01:37:56 AMIt was flawed too as I recall getting executed like that even when I was a good distance away, and same when I killed someone with it. They could have jumped away and they still got killed.

Before the patch anything 180° / meters away behind the character would trigger the instant kill.
It got fixed, something around a 60° I think.
Technically You could still see the character one either of your side meters away and have it see performs the instant kill, very anoying since aliens understood really quick it was much faster to wallwalk tail spam or RUN and spam instant kill.
But yeah patches kind of fixed the issue there was at the beginning.

IMO what that game lacked was a true direction. It tried too hard to be a sequel to the first AVP movie but in an ALIENS context.
Also while animations looked superb on the outside, I always had the feeling in the game that I was playing a tank, restricted a lot by movements while it should have in fact be the opposite.

And it lacked many gameplay features that are to me necessary to an Alien game that Isolation at least got like using Crouch, climbing ladders and going through vents (not like the Alien shortcut thing they made).

AVP2 despite its comic art style nailed a lot of things from both Alien and Predator Universe just like the first Rebellion game.
It's precisely what lacked the 2010 game. I remember having a movie feeling only for the first mission of the marine then it went away.
As an alien you spend a lot of time in the jungle or on the floor or in very open space with plain line of sight.
As a Predator it's mostly ruins of antics.
As Marine none of your mission feels really singular beside the first one since they're all shared as a core from other species and so they feel very predictable and triggers seems very very random like they started designing the map, made them for the Predator and then as an after thought kinda tried to figure how the Alien & Marine would go through the same level design. It's efficient to save time but it really take a toll on the gameplay IMO.

And I don't like most jump mechanic / wallwalk.
They clearly restricted it (the way you have spots you can land) so they wouldn't fear you get out of the map.
Movements as Alien & Predator never feel rewarding within the map, all the vertical movements are not properly rewarded and replaying the game gives very little opportunities for a different approach. It's like movements are pre-scripted because they are too restrictive.

The Cruentus

AVP2 had pretty much movie-accurate sound effects (pulse rifle, predator plasma caster lock on) so that helped with the atmosphere for sure. Graphics were cartonny but it probably wasn't bad for the time.

xenotaris

I would buy AVP2 again if Nightdive or ASPYR were to remaster them

The Cruentus

Same here. I already got avp2 but I would buy it for sure if they would remaster it, especially if it included consoles. Disney could make money by getting this remade.
I'm betting Predator hunting ground may get some more sales or activity if it is indeed going be on Xbox too.
Perhaps this may be a step to getting atleast a new avp since they would probably be more likely to consider a new game if sales are looking good for Predator.

Kimarhi

I think 2010's biggest disappointment was it's multiplayer.  I played maybe two dozen games total before everybody stopped playing.  I played the first two games multiplayer YEARS after they came out. 

They all have their strenghts and weaknesses.  I think the OG AVP probably captures the movies the best, and it feels more lore accurate to me.  The Marines have repeating weaponry that can shred anything foolish enough to be in the open, the Aliens speed is its advantage, overwhelming in numbers, and freakishly strong capable of tearing people limb from limb, and the Pred was a tank with slow repeating weapons. 

AvP2 nerfed the Alien so bad from the first game, I thought it was initially offputting.

AvP2 is my favorite in the series however, because you could tell they put time and effort into making LV1201 a living, and breathing world.  There was just so much cool shit packed in the game.  I remember walking around as the pred, and being in awe at what might've been one of the hives in the background because it was a bunch of spires, that looked like typical rock formations, but had smoke like substance coming out of it.  This actually caused me to stop and think about what those could be. 

For that kind of stuff I will always love it.  I think its the best AvP EU based game. 

AvP2010 I will always say has the best Marines, because Marines in real life are f**king weird.  In the US Military there are only two branches.  The Army and the Navy.  Because the Air Force is a corporation, and the Marine Corps is a cult.  2010 was the best at showing that.  It also simply looked better, which made it a different kind of immersive.  The story I found to be pretty shallow, and downright uninteresting at times, but just because it was better at capturing the aesthetic of the first and second films, I still liked it. 

The vertical movement was shitty, and was a huge let down for the Alien.  There shouldn't have been a button to transition to wall climb, or to enter a vent, when there never had been one before.  Likewise, while I do think the predator leaping was better than the second game, it also made it feel to gamey by having prompts to where you could leap.  While the Alien and Pred campaigns were fun to play, they were also too short compared to the Marine one.  Which was also a let down. 

The Cruentus

AVP2010 Multiplayer was bad for consoles for sure. Instead of being able to drop into any active match (if there is space) you instead have to queue until a new match becomes available.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 31, 2024, 11:54:58 AMAVP2010 Multiplayer was bad for consoles for sure.

AvP2010 was bad on PC full stop.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed