Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,405 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Who said anything about being infatuated? AvP:R is a fun movie for me, and I will always choose it over the snore-fest that is AvP. I never watched AvP:R with high expectations, even from day one. I knew it was going to be a bad movie, given where both franchises have gone since Predator 2 and Alien 3. I had high expectations for AvP because it was a new concept but it was a terrible film. AvP:R didn't leave me with much hope, but it kept me entertained and when I left the theatre after seeing it opening day, I had a smile on my face.

And you're still a hypocrite for saying anyone who enjoys action and blood over plot rationality is dumb, because you've made it pretty clear that those films are your favourite type. How do I know? Your FB "interests" bit: horror films, the gore the merrier!

Undeadite

Undeadite

You know what the best thing about being a gore hound is? You understand that effects and the movie itself are not the same thing. AvP:R had some really cool and bloody stuff, but as a whole it still failed to be a good movie. So yes, 'the gore the merrier', but as I said plot and rationality are far more important for a successful horror film. Sadly AvP:R falls horribly short, and isn't even good as a bad bloody movie.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 12, 2009, 02:01:54 AM
Ha! This coming from the guy who loves splatter movies.

Let's be entirely fair - that's precisely what ALIEN and Predator were.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Undeadite on Dec 12, 2009, 02:22:48 AM
You know what the best thing about being a gore hound is? You understand that effects and the movie itself are not the same thing. AvP:R had some really cool and bloody stuff, but as a whole it still failed to be a good movie. So yes, 'the gore the merrier', but as I said plot and rationality are far more important for a successful horror film. Sadly AvP:R falls horribly short, and isn't even good as a bad bloody movie.

Fair enough. But the gore was a nice touch for me, especially since Anderson kiddie-fied his movie. Why the hell would he make a movie with Aliens and Predators and not have gore? Neither franchise has ever been shy about getting nasty.

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 12, 2009, 02:23:31 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 12, 2009, 02:01:54 AM
Ha! This coming from the guy who loves splatter movies.

Let's be entirely fair - that's precisely what ALIEN and Predator were.

What?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Splatter movies.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No they weren't. What on are you on about?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That's not splatter. This is splatter.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Looks like I've been called out.  :D

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 12, 2009, 02:40:34 AM
That's not splatter. This is splatter.

AMEN! Theres a difference between blood/gore and splatter. Splatter has no depth, something the A/P films have in abundance.

AvP:R might be the closest to a splatter film in the three series, but they did not start that way. Even the first AvP was severely toned down.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Predator 2 and Resurrection were also really gory. Predator 2 especially was gory; almost splatter-like.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Yeah, they are close but they both have too strong of an internal drive to be just another splatter flick. They are the most bloody, but try to rely more on character development and adrenaline.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Undeadite on Dec 12, 2009, 03:17:52 AM
Yeah, they are close but they both have too strong of an internal drive to be just another splatter flick. They are the most bloody, but try to rely more on character development and adrenaline.

Key word: try. Neither film has much of it.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Yeah, but the attempt shows.  :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm watching AvP again and I'm starting to come around to AvPR being a better film. Anderson had this notion of taking things slow to build character development. That's not what we get. We've got 45 minutes of boring characters doing nothing really. We get no real sense of motivation behind these characters, Lance is severely underplayed and Woods...oh God is she dull. And a terrible actress. Her laugh!

The novelization is tons better. I don't even know if I'm going to make it through to the fight scenes. I might just put AvPR on and try that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed