Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,382 times)

War Wager

War Wager

There was at least some intensity in AvP's fights, anyone could have won.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 09, 2009, 04:00:20 PM
And shitty Predator designs, and shitty Alien designs, and almost no action, and the same lack lighting, and lack of a colour palette, and another shitty script.

that too. I loved the palette tho, saturated blue. Very commmon for big movies

Im not defending either of AVPs, just saying that AVP was a 'lesser' evil. For me AVPR was just a teenage movie with people dressed in rubber alien suits, one guy that looked like mutated Bob Marley and one cool predator. AVP had the queen (yeah, the TRex. But at least she was there, fancy FX, nice cinematography and ...umm..i dont know what else, lol. Oh, I liked the setting and the idea of isolation

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2009, 02:16:48 AM
AvP may have had the same amount of action, but AvP:R was more exciting. AvP's action was barely more than a few seconds at most (the exceptions being CvG and Queen vs. Lex and Scar) and was still boring.

More exciting? You mean how they bash each other in bad lighting with no thought to the action sequences? AvP at least planned out the fights and executed them well, AvPR was wolf running around killing things without thought. You weren't given detail. Wolf goes here, kills Alien and moves on. In AvP there was the slow motion and the Celtic Grid thing. At least Celtic did more than whack Grid with wrist blades and kill him.

Don't get me started on the retarded scene where Wolf takes off his mask to fight the Pred Alien.

I also want to mention originality. With antarctica, they tried. I liked it. Putting Aliens and Predators in a normal, modern day city is so damn cliched.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Celtic-predator on May 11, 2009, 12:01:06 PM
More exciting? You mean how they bash each other in bad lighting with no thought to the action sequences? AvP at least planned out the fights and executed them well,

They were still boring. And the end of Celtic vs. Grid was bullshit because Celtic had that fight won. The only reason he lost is because is Anderson is an admitted Alien fanboy.

Quote from: Celtic-predator on May 11, 2009, 12:01:06 PMAvPR was wolf running around killing things without thought. You weren't given detail. Wolf goes here, kills Alien and moves on. In AvP there was the slow motion and the Celtic Grid thing. At least Celtic did more than whack Grid with wrist blades and kill him.

What do you mean 'not given detail'? And the action wasn't centred solely around Wolf; National Guard scene case in point.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Celtic-predator on May 11, 2009, 12:01:06 PM
In AvP there was the slow motion and the Celtic Grid thing.

i thought that fight was idiotic and not because the alien won but because of the slow motion and tackling/wrestling moves, when two extremely deadly creatures meet the fight should be quick, it's AvP not Mortal Kombat (wasn't a big fan of the Wolf v. predalien fight either but I understood the need for a finale)

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2009, 03:56:52 PM
And the end of Celtic vs. Grid was bullshit because Celtic had that fight won.

yes what's the point of having him lose like an idiot, it would be more satisfying to both alien and predator fans if grid won that fight straight up

SiL

SiL

Hey, we love the films plenty fine.

Just, y'know, the good ones.

Which the AVP movies aren't.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 11, 2009, 11:21:30 PM
Well, AVPR is better, but golly gee I won't waste your time on another positive review, though on this site writing a review feels like you're presenting a case.  ::)
I've only been here a couple of days and am starting to wonder why I bothered. So much talk about the books, comics, etc, which is to be expected, but every thread remotely about how good any AVP film is is decimated completely. Film fans aren't welcome here it seems.  :

Boo-hoo. :'(

You can talk about the AvP films. But other people have the right to retort with their opinion; respectfully. :)

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on May 12, 2009, 05:21:54 AM
Boo-hoo. :'(

You can talk about the AvP films. But other people have the right to retort with their opinion; respectfully. :)

Plus vice versa...  ;)

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

They were still boring. And the end of Celtic vs. Grid was bullshit because Celtic had that fight won. The only reason he lost is because is Anderson is an admitted Alien fanboy.

And I thought it wasn't boring. I thought Celtic throwing Grid around and slamming him into wall was awesome. This argument can go back and forth because we're basing this on personal opinion. However I agree the end of the Celtic vs Grid was bullshit. Yet so was Wolf pulling his mask off in a fight with a creature that has no perception of 'fighting fair.'

What do you mean 'not given detail'? And the action wasn't centred solely around Wolf; National Guard scene case in point.

I meant how the camera doesn't give you the best angle of the fight + bad lighting + the pouring rain means the fights seem distinctly lacking to me. It didn't help that the fights didn't last that long for each Alien either.

So what if there were national guard? You barely saw any of the action, only the beginning bit where the Aliens ambush the soldiers. The shots of the big gun mounted on the armored carrier were litreally just the barrel of the gun firing and aliens dying. The brothers admitted those scenes were originally intended to show the protagonists manning the machine guns. Therefore they could only how the ends of the barrel and random shots of Aliens dying. My point is it doesn't matter if the action didn't all center around Wolf. Not if it was badly put together.

About Celtic and Grid wrestling: What else would you do if an Alien jumps on top of you and knocks you to the floor?

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

And the end of Celtic vs. Grid was bullshit because Celtic had that fight won.

Just like how every Alien struggle with Wolf is bullshit because they are portrayed as squeeling retards?

At least the Celtic vs. Grid fight went back and forth between the two, all the "fights" in AVPR (more like playing "Why are you hitting yourself" with Aliens) were completely one-sided. So regardless of how you feel about the outcome, at least Anderson gave some equality to both creatures.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 12, 2009, 05:42:10 PM
Just like how every Alien struggle with Wolf is bullshit because they are portrayed as squeeling retards?

I'm not suggesting those fights were any less biased, but they more fun for me to watch because they weren't wrestling matches.

Quote from: Celtic-predator on May 12, 2009, 09:51:38 AM
About Celtic and Grid wrestling: What else would you do if an Alien jumps on top of you and knocks you to the floor?

Kick it off, but don't stand in front of it ducking and weaving without even trying to move away so as to avoid the tail. That scene was so embarrasing...

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 12, 2009, 06:04:35 AM
Plus vice versa...  ;)

Mhm. You're in the minority though...  ;)

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

If I may throw in my 2 cents about the fights in both films, I would say the Celtic fight is quite good, the part where the Alien is swung around amps me up. Though, it does feel somewhat like they just stepped into a ring and someone rang the bell and said "Round One", I must agree.
I think the main reason Predators swat Aliens like insects, especially in AVPR, is that they are experienced and seasoned at it, Wolf more so I would imagine.
Thats what I take from it, their experience in hunting Aliens, the way the Aliens move, leap and their general capabilities would be passed through experience and their generations. No biggie for me there.
Suffice to say most of the fighting in AVPR is done at a distance with Wolf's Plasma Cannon, the scenes like the sewer fight where the Predator rises holding two Aliens were good. They look cool, what can I say, I am a Predator fan after all. Plus, I hardly think that particular scene could have been done in the reverse.
Aliens are fodder when it comes to 'versus' stories, lets face it.
In numbers, they are viral ('Aliens', 'Alien: Res', 'AVPR') - attack indiscriminantly, are brash and abduct healthy hosts for implantation - and alone they are far more geared for survival ('Alien', 'Alien3') - stealthy and defensive.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 AM
I think the main reason Predators swat Aliens like insects, especially in AVPR, is that they are experienced and seasoned at it, Wolf more so I would imagine.

Aliens are not mere insects. If Wolf had gone up against the Warriors from Aliens, he wouldn't have lasted more than a minute.

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 AMThats what I take from it, their experience in hunting Aliens, the way the Aliens move, leap and their general capabilities would be passed through experience and their generations. No biggie for me there.

Aliens know better than to lose feeling in their arms and tail when they're being choked.

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 AMSuffice to say most of the fighting in AVPR is done at a distance with Wolf's Plasma Cannon, the scenes like the sewer fight where the Predator rises holding two Aliens were good.

That scene was Predator fanboy wank. Had the Aliens at least been functionally retarded, Wolf would've never made it out of the sewers.

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 AMI am a Predator fan after all.

Like I said.

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 AMPlus, I hardly think that particular scene could have been done in the reverse.

You don't think the Aliens could've torn Wolf to pieces?

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 12:57:27 AMAliens are fodder when it comes to 'versus' stories, lets face it.

Sweet Jesus, are you trying to sound funny? Coz I'm trying my hardest to not burst into sheer laughter here. Read the first AvP comic and then come back and tell me the Aliens were nothing but senseless fodder.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 13, 2009, 02:53:39 AM
Aliens are not mere insects. If Wolf had gone up against the Warriors from Aliens, he wouldn't have lasted more than a minute.
I didn't say they were insects, I said 'swatting them like insects'.

Aliens know better than to lose feeling in their arms and tail when they're being choked.
Perhaps he held them at pressure points or nerve clusters. Beats me. I just use my imagination.

That scene was Predator fanboy wank. Had the Aliens at least been functionally retarded, Wolf would've never made it out of the sewers.
Oh, sure, besides the entire film of AVP was Alien fanwank (Celtic battle), I bet you'd deny that strongly too.

Like I said.
You have your faves, I have mine.

You don't think the Aliens could've torn Wolf to pieces?
No. I don't think one alien could lift two Predators in a convincing scene. Thats what I was saying.

Sweet Jesus, are you trying to sound funny? Coz I'm trying my hardest to not burst into sheer laughter here. Read the first AvP comic and then come back and tell me the Aliens were nothing but senseless fodder.
I do hope you read that in context. En mass versus lone alien I mean. What I am saying is that in a film with multiple Aliens and one sole Predator or person as a 'hero' - the Aliens are going to get massacred and shot up as fodder. They, as characters are not just fodder.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed