Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 681,451 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I was 12 for Predators and 14 for Prometheus both just before my birthdays.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 07, 2022, 09:43:11 AMBefore AvP I was really hopeful at the time, considering Paul Anderson made Event Horizon, that even if AvP is average at best, it'll still be a cool sci-fi horror piece in a similar vain. Anderson showed he had the competency to do it; and it was exciting. But yikes!.... not even close.

I'm still wounded we didn't get an Event Horizon AvP from Anderson. But I will forever cling to my hopes of a proper AvP.

Hadji Murad

Hadji Murad

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 07, 2022, 08:46:08 AMWatching AvP.

It didn't even get to 1:45 before reminding me why I rate it so low, basic plot aside.

It's a film that neither looks nor feels like Alien or Predator. Which, given the premise is pretty funny.

It then takes a well-constructed if simple comic book story and makes it into a less well-constructed and even simpler movie.

Then there's the setting. Aliens are at home in claustrophobic industrial settings. Predators are at home in the claustrophobia that comes from being engulfed by nature ... So the temple serves neither.

It's a film packed with bizarre choices. That said, I think the whole AVP idea is quite hard to pull off. The stories that make great Predator stories don't make for great Alien stories, and vice versa.

And in order for it not to be James Cameron's Aliens featuring Predator, you have to heavily involve the Predator mythos. Which only serves to demystify the Predator, lessen its impact, and inevitably turn it into an anti-hero.

So we either get Broken Tusk bodying the entire hive for 120 mins or a weird mash-up of monster flicks that don't quite work together.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2022, 09:11:35 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 07, 2022, 09:43:11 AMBefore AvP I was really hopeful at the time, considering Paul Anderson made Event Horizon, that even if AvP is average at best, it'll still be a cool sci-fi horror piece in a similar vain. Anderson showed he had the competency to do it; and it was exciting. But yikes!.... not even close.

I'm still wounded we didn't get an Event Horizon AvP from Anderson. But I will forever cling to my hopes of a proper AvP.
His earlier drafts definitely leaned that way. Not as explicitly horrific but definitely dark and violent. Just with his inability to write good characters layered on top.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

AvP stomps

Anderson may make toybox movies but he makes them very well. I loathe Resident Evil, definitely not my cup of tea, but I unabashedly love AvP for what it is -- Aliens and Predators from the comic book world crossing over with the film versions. Too bad it's too quick-paced and without the credits it's literally less than 90m

I can't watch AvPR without laughing so

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It just really really bores me, I see no reason to revisit either one.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 08, 2022, 11:13:38 AMAvP stomps

Anderson may make toybox movies but he makes them very well. I loathe Resident Evil, definitely not my cup of tea, but I unabashedly love AvP for what it is -- Aliens and Predators from the comic book world crossing over with the film versions. Too bad it's too quick-paced and without the credits it's literally less than 90m

I can't watch AvPR without laughing so

f**k yeah, all of this ^^^

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 08, 2022, 12:07:36 PMf**k yeah, all of this ^^^
my man Kradan

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I really wish Milla Jovovich could be in real films...

SiL

SiL

For all its faults I can never bring myself to hate AvP. There's too much nostalgia.

AvPR can die in a fire.

Kradan

Kradan

2004 AvP introduced to me to both franchises so I will forever have a soft spot for it. I still think it a fun watch with Scar and all of Queen scenes being the highlights

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I'm the opposite. Zero nostalgia for AvP in any way shape or form. AvPR at least had the decency to get me laid then fall off the face of the earth.

Kradan

Kradan

Was having sex the only way to escape ?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

No, I was intoxicated when I saw it the first time and actually enjoyed it, wasn't til I watched it again much later that I realised how shit it was. But the girls were shook and one thing lead to another, as is often the case with horror movies.

Hadji Murad

Hadji Murad

The one thing AVP does right was give as clear scenes showing that the Aliens can ambush and butcher a Predator one-on-one, as well as use its natural abilities to defeat it hand to hand.

But then it never really gives us a creative reason why a Predator can defeat an Alien other than shoulder cannon go boom and shuriken go woosh.

It's a smart creature that actively hunts Aliens for sport. Why would it do this if it's just target practice? Give me creative ways it goes about this. It has to employ a specific strategy against humans, what's its strategy against Aliens?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed