The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 71,834 times)

Yautja_Warrior

Yautja_Warrior

Maybe they really should do an extended cut for the blu-ray to try and tidy up some of the editing, using some of that cut footage, which there seems to be plenty of.

Firestorm

Firestorm

Worth noting that there are still positive reviews springing up elsewhere online.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-predator-review-join-the-hunt-for-visceral-action-dark-humor/

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Yautja_Warrior on Sep 11, 2018, 11:43:06 PM
Maybe they really should do an extended cut for the blu-ray to try and tidy up some of the editing, using some of that cut footage, which there seems to be plenty of.

At what cost? It sounds like it needs a different cut, but after all the extra time and money invested in the film, I don't think the studio is getting in any deeper with this movie. I don't mean to be overly critical, as it does seem like Shane really did believe in what he was doing. He's got his style, and that's cool. But it's not one I'd say was right for this franchise.

I'll definitely see it at some point, but there's a part of me that can't help but think the studio really should've known better. They're the ones that decided it was cool to Tony Stark a Predator movie. If it all goes down the tubes, it's on them. This movie never should've been green-lit in the first place, honestly. Let Predator be Predator. It doesn't need to be The Dream Team, Iron Man 3, and Close Encounters too.

Jigsaw85

Xan21

Xan21

Best review so far lol

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 11, 2018, 11:30:03 PM
Oh joy, can't wait to read a review from a fan who will start it off with "I was right, it was an abomination!".

When you go looking for trouble, you will surely find it.

But if it's actually a good film you think that's not going to change minds?

yautjapet

yautjapet

Though I'm one of those who's thought for a while this sounds like an abomination, I'd love to be forced to eat my words and admit I was wrong! Nobody here wants the movie to tank.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: yautjapet on Sep 12, 2018, 05:48:23 AM
Nobody here wants the movie to tank.

Indeed. As much as I dislike the direction this film took, it would be good news to see a new movie blow the doors down and make lots of cash. Strong public interest in both the Alien and Predator franchises would be wonderful to see. If we could ever get to the point where new movies were coming out steadily every 2-5 years, I'd be a happy camper.

As for nobody wanting it to tank, uh, there might be one, although he works alittle more in the shadows than he used to. But I'm not dropping names here.  ;D

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Don't take the reviews for anything more than social media'ism. It's getting trashed by the people who go with current public opinion and currently it's to trash the movie.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 11, 2018, 08:01:15 PM
Guests don't get to have opinions.

Okay, first thing - I already told everyone about this yesterday. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you disagree or they're wrong, I expect people to respond to them in a respectful manner. I don't ever want to see another comment like that from you again. It's not exactly a welcoming kind of comment. Which leads me to -

Quote from: cornmeal on Sep 11, 2018, 10:54:10 PM
yes it is avpgalaxy's fault in the sense that it could of put a middle finger to fox, had a backbone and forced them to change the script. instead you had people not wanting to believe how bad it really was and hyping Shane. sure its a collective of fox, Shane, Fred and the fans that have caused this to happen. don't be naive in thinking 20th century fox dont come to this page and see what the fans of alien and predator are saying.

The community could of resisted and forced fox's hand. let me guess though its none of your fault for hyping the script and trying your absolute best to accept crap, because Shane black is behind it. Um no its petr and elder clan leaders fault for being negative and having issues with it from the very beginning, (which as you can now see was totally justified)

you all knew deep down how bad the script was, why didn't you resist it? oh and talking of petr and elder clan, im sure one of them said they would love to see Christopher Nolan direct a predator film, and they got absolutely jumped on for saying it, well how stupid do you all look now? Nolan vs Black its like comparing gold to copper, nolan would never of made a mess of this film, shane did, you all got this wrong and attacked people multiple times, for trying to tell you how bad this film was going to turn out. apologies anyone?? nah i didnt think so.

You are simply wrong, cornmeal. I know AvP Galaxy is the biggest and God damn best Alien and Predator fansite around but this community is a drop in the ocean. Unlike the Goliaths of Marvel or Star Wars' fanbases, we're barely a percentage of the over-all viewership.

And plenty of people - here and in the joe public on other websites or socials - have made it very clear they didn't like the sounds of what Shane was doing. It doesn't make the people who were willing to give him a go wrong. 

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Sep 11, 2018, 11:02:05 PM
cornmeal not being funny pal, im glad you took notice to what i was saying over the months, but please there is  having a debate and then attacking people. its been a feisty time on avp lets not pour more fuel on the fire. its ultimately 20th century fox's fault. shane blacks fault and fred dekker sure, but you cannot blame a fandom page for the woes of a movie. Hicks tried to blame me in the same way you are blaming others. let it go bro, its done now.

And I never blamed you. It's best not to take things so personally - I don't recall saying anything like "It's all ELDERCLANLEADER's fault this film sucks! Let's lynch him!!!" I said I suspect it was a reaction to the negative reactions online and in testings and an attempt to downplay them in the edit that led to being such a messy feeling edit. If you react to such general statements in such a negative way, I'd suggest taking a step back before reacting.

Now I'd like this to be the last school teacher post I have to make in this thread. Let's continue like actual adults with emotional maturity now please.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

I will NEVER understand this "support the films at all costs regardless of quality!" mentality some people have. Its what leads studios to not even try when making sequels, knowing that the fanboys will still eat it up. Its what lead to the Transformers movie have four atrocious sequels, its what led to AvP R and Alien Covenant.

I'm sorry but I would rather have NO films than seven terrible ones as we've gotten with the Alien and Predator franchises. The good films will always exists. And the bad ones just tarnish the brand and make it even harder the general audience to take it seriously.

The Old One

The Old One

David's Drawings was worth it.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on Sep 12, 2018, 10:19:31 AM
I will NEVER understand this "support the films at all costs regardless of quality!" mentality some people have. Its what leads studios to not even try when making sequels, knowing that the fanboys will still eat it up. Its what lead to the Transformers movie have four atrocious sequels, its what led to AvP R and Alien Covenant.

I'm sorry but I would rather have NO films than seven terrible ones as we've gotten with the Alien and Predator franchises. The good films will always exists. And the bad ones just tarnish the brand and make it even harder the general audience to take it seriously.

Only a very small margin actually like and support films such as AVP-Requiem, and while it didn't go the way we wanted to, Fox did essentially wipe that continuity out by allowing Ridley Scott to do his prequels, of course that went into a direction that left a bad taste in our mouths.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Birth.Movie.Death has a pretty on point review with a good opening paragraph that sums it all up quite well -

QuoteTo paraphrase the great Joe Bob Briggs, "you can always tell whether or not you're watching an A-Movie or a B-Movie depending on if they kill the dog. If they off the poor mutt, it's definitely a B-Movie." Well, Shane Black's The Predator kills the dog, then it goes after the kid, the mom, and then slaughters pretty much everything else in its path before arriving at a climax so utterly over the top and ridiculous, you feel like you just watched five mini-Predator pictures back-to-back. Each of its acts crams as many insane ideas and vulgar one-liners into its rotten, day-glo green stew until you can't take any more, becoming a crass concoction of wanton juvenilia. But that's also what renders it one helluva time at the movies.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/09/11/the-predator-review-welcome-to-the-splatterdome

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed