Noah Hawley Talks Alien Series Storytelling and Aesthetic

Started by Gimitko, Nov 22, 2023, 02:32:52 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Talks Alien Series Storytelling and Aesthetic (Read 5,206 times)

kwisatz

Classic case of 'judge others by one's own standards'.

Gimitko

Gimitko

There is a bunch of stuff about the circles of hell as a class allegory in this season of Fargo and he wrote it while writing Alien. Black goat imagery too, I wonder if it bled over. There is stuff about greek mythology and scapegoats too, could the alien becoming a scapegoat for all the problems plaguing Prodigy City be a theme of the show? Blame the foreigner.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Nov 24, 2023, 07:46:55 PMThe ARPG core book says that technology went backwards because holographics and all the prequel stuff were too expensive and difficult to maintain. So that's why we see LCD screens and 70's computer interfaces in "later" films.

That wouldn't explain the mysterious loss of dream-recording technology. I don't believe it has any real-life equivelant, either. We have holography, right now. Plus, we're clearly shown common hand-held devices which use it.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 29, 2023, 12:13:55 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Nov 24, 2023, 07:46:55 PMThe ARPG core book says that technology went backwards because holographics and all the prequel stuff were too expensive and difficult to maintain. So that's why we see LCD screens and 70's computer interfaces in "later" films.

That wouldn't explain the mysterious loss of dream-recording technology. I don't believe it has any real-life equivelant, either. We have holography, right now. Plus, we're clearly shown common hand-held devices which use it.

Just because we have it right now doesn't mean we'll have it in the future. And it might not be an option on far-flung worlds where there are no means of repairing those items, or where the conditions would render using them impossible.

Drukathi

Quote from: Gimitko on Nov 22, 2023, 02:32:52 PMBut after that, there's no discovery or surprise, we're just doing that again and again.

This is true, I agree. Alien 3 and AR are repeating of Alien and Aliens. AC is Aliens too. Only Prometheus bring new direction, but made it... somehow.

Quote from: Gimitko on Nov 22, 2023, 02:32:52 PMThe challenge for me is: Is there a way that we can take the audience back to "wait, what's happening? What does this thing do?"

Just try to explore the ovomorphing.

ralfy

The first movie uses suspense, the second action, the third a procedural, and the fourth political intrigue. The first sequel borrows from the first movie with the ship landing on a rock, etc., and the second from the first two, with a protagonist who looks like Ripley, another named Tennessee (like Dallas from the first movie), etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed