Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 576,708 times)

SiL

SiL

ALIEN is a simple Hollywood sci-fi monster on a spaceship movie if ALIENS is a simple Hollywood sci-fi action movie.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Aliens is alot more than just a simple action movie and deserves all the accolades it gets.  That being said, it does not come close to the brilliance of Alien.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2015, 12:56:35 AM
ALIEN is a simple Hollywood sci-fi monster on a spaceship movie if ALIENS is a simple Hollywood sci-fi action movie.

ALIEN has excellent acting/dialogue/actors and the tone and pace of "high-brow" films. It's masterful beyond the amazing sci-fi designs and effects, and the simple haunted house monster movie formula is way more versatile and subconsciously tantalizing than anything an action hero movie can muster. The action and heroism in action movies pretty much always distract from the message, commentary or interpretations of the narrative. Even zombie movies is a better format to work with if you want to truly immerse, not that I ever want the Alien franchise to go that route. Cameron should've gone all in and tried to make ALIENS more of a war movie than an action movie, because that would've given it more substance (I know he went that direction a little bit as he borrowed from Viet Nam movies). No Powerloader vs Queen, Ripley blatantly ignoring the laws of physics, Hudson shouting oneliners while going down etc. Everyone would've felt expendable, including Newt and Ripley.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 01, 2015, 02:56:46 AM
Aliens is alot more than just a simple action movie and deserves all the accolades it gets.  That being said, it does not come close to the brilliance of Alien.

Yeah, it got its moments and is incredibly well made, but it is still just a simple action movie.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

I wouldn't call ALIENS an action movie, I'd call it a horror movie with action. As where ALIEN was a horror/thriller/suspense.

Also, Hudson's "one liners" were battle cries based on adrenaline which were quite in line with his character.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

1-Alien 10/10  Masterpiece in every single aspect.
2-Aliens 9,999/10   Another Masterpiece, but I like the tone of the first one better, even tho I think changing the tone was a great idea. If that makes any sense.
3-Alien3  8/10  (but I think It could have been a 10)
4-A:R  5/10  As a standalone fill could be a 7/10 but when related to Alien, its just wrong.
5-Prometheus 3/10 Save the filmography, some sets and Fassbender acting, the rest of the movie is utterly crap.
6-AVP- 0/0 
7-AVPR- -10/10

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 03, 2015, 06:19:38 PM
2-Aliens 9,999/10   Another Masterpiece, but I like the tone of the first one better, even tho I think changing the tone was a great idea. If that makes any sense.
4-A:R  5/10  As a standalone fill could be a 7/10 but when related to Alien, its just wrong.
5-Prometheus 3/10 Save the filmography, some sets and Fassbender acting, the rest of the movie is utterly crap.
6-AVP- 0/0 
7-AVPR- -10/10

For a second I thought you gave AvPR a 10/10...  :laugh:

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 03, 2015, 06:31:39 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 03, 2015, 06:19:38 PM
6-AVP- 0/0 
7-AVPR- -10/10

For a second I thought you gave AvPR a 10/10...  :laugh:

NEVER!

Magegg

Magegg

I should confess I love AvPR compared to AvP, AvP1 was formulaic as f**k, terrible actiong sequences and the main character was a complete piece of boring shit.

At least AvPR tried to change a little the settings, and the action was better. It's still terrible, though.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 04, 2015, 11:09:40 PM
I should confess I love AvPR compared to AvP, AvP1 was formulaic as f**k, terrible actiong sequences and the main character was a complete piece of boring shit.

At least AvPR tried to change a little the settings, and the action was better. It's still terrible, though.

Set it in the mid west with college kids, one of whom is a bullied dork. That's about as formulaic as it gets. It's the cheapo horror stock plot, similar to Return of the Living Dead 2, and other straight-to-video stuff of that ilk.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Gash on Mar 04, 2015, 11:23:13 PMSet it in the mid west with college kids, one of whom is a bullied dork. That's about as formulaic as it gets. It's the cheapo horror stock plot, similar to Return of the Living Dead 2, and other straight-to-video stuff of that ilk.
At least it was not a vastly inferior repetition of the Alien original film, like AvP1 was

Gash

Gash

I've only seen AvP once, a long while ago. But I cant remember thinking that it was a retread of  A L I E N  in any respect. It was Anderson basically doing his Resident Evil routine with different toys.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Gash on Mar 04, 2015, 11:33:56 PMBut I cant remember thinking that it was a retread of  A L I E N  in any respect.
It was people entering a weird ancient structure again, isolated from the world again, we saw the xenomorph cycle yet again, and we finished with a little of the Predator "prize-giving" ceremony again in the end. It was just a bad rehash of Alien with a dash of Predator and terrible action, and the blandest characters I can think of. Completely forgettable.

At least AVPR had a badass Predator, unlike the ones from AVP that were terribly raped.

Gash

Gash

AvP:R perhaps is a closer fit to the Predator franchise, being set on contemporary Earth. Maybe it passes muster in that regard. I just remember it had terrible teenagers in it that I really couldn't have cared less about, it appeared to be made by a couple of giggling juveniles, and the whole thing was so dark it was a pain to view, on top of which the aliens, when you could see them, looked terrible and made the sound of trumpeting elephants. I'm not surprised most people would rather expunge it from all memory.

Both films were daft ideas, AvP had an element of competence about it, but that's about the best that can be said. Event Horizon remains Anderson's high point, rushed though the edit though that was. The Brothers Strause, I literally had no idea what else they've done till googling them - and not much is the answer.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Quote from: Gash on Mar 04, 2015, 11:33:56 PM
I've only seen AvP once, a long while ago. But I cant remember thinking that it was a retread of  A L I E N  in any respect. It was Anderson basically doing his Resident Evil routine with different toys.

Tru dat.  There's so many similarities that Paul basically plagiarized his own work.

Close Encounters

Close Encounters

Me, I'd put Aliens first not just because I prefer action to pure horror, but because I like the family motif that Cameron used with Ripley, Newt and Hicks. I thought that it was a very interesting theme to put in a sci-fi/horror jaunt and it worked very well. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. 10/10

Putting Alien second is a tough decision for me because frankly, without Alien, Aliens would be pretty worthless. Part of the reason the second film is so good at showing Ripley purge herself of the terrors she's experienced is that the first film was damn near perfect at showing that terror. Alien was also the first R-rated film I was allowed to see, so it holds a special place in my nightmares as a kid. In a good way. 10/10

After that comes Alien: Resurrection. The moment I simply decided not to even entertain it as the full-on sequel and just enjoy it as movie on its own, I ended up really liking it. With the exception of Winona Ryder, the acting is pretty good, the visuals are nice as well, action scenes, especially the underwater scene, are well-executed. Overall I enjoy it for what it is, and I'm glad that the franchise isn't continuing Ripley 8's story. 7/10

After that I'd put the first AVP film, mostly because I'm enough of a Predator fan that that film is enjoyable to me. And in the 1-on-1 face-off between the Xeno and the Predator, the Xeno wins. I love that. The worst part about that film was the human characters though. You could have taken them out, made a 30-minute film of 3 Predators going into the temple and fighting the xenos and it would have come out better. 6.5/10

Prometheus comes next, and I probably need to watch it one more time before I make up my mind about it. I've said that the past 7-8 times I've seen it. It's such a confusing film at times that I'm never really sure it like it or not. Which for all I know was Ridley Scott's intent. Prometheus is the alien-related film that makes me laugh the most though, I'll say that. If only because of the Honest Trailer on youtube. Funny as hell. ?/10

Then comes Alien 3. And I'll be up-front about my hate for this film. I honestly don't like anything about it. First, I dislike the tone of the film with the depressing and nihilistic feel. The original Alien had nothing like that, only pure terror. That's what I liked about that. Alien 3 tried to add a feeling of hopelessness and despair that ended up draining me of any reason to care for the litany of generic bald prisoners that the dog-xeno kills throughout the film. After a while, I realized that the only thing to cheer for was the alien. I didn't even care about Ripley, and when she died it seemed like putting down a dying dog rather than the heroic sacrifice it was meant to be. I love David Fincher as a director, and I don't blame the film's faults on him. But honestly don't hold a single thing about this film in high regard. Killing off Hicks and Newt was a very tough sell for me considering what I loved about Aliens, and the film only got worse after the opening credits. I've seen the film only twice, once for the theatrical release and I saw the Revised cut about year ago. Each time it's left me only furious at the direction Fox decided to go with the franchise that has two of my very favorite movies. 3(ha)/10

But I will say this about Alien 3: it least it was watchable. A competently-made movie whose tone, storyline and characters I had no love for, but I could finish the film before I decided to hate it. I honestly wasn't able to do that with AVP:Requiem. As soon as I realized that they'd gone with the generic bullied kid pinning after the popular girl with the jock boyfriend, I could see where the film was going. After a short while, I just stopped watching. It was just so far removed from what made both Alien and Predator great that I could no longer bring myself to finish the film. To this day I still haven't seen the whole thing, and I doubt I ever will. It's just so BAD. 0/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed