'Suprise' Revealed! *Spoliers*

Started by War Wager, Dec 21, 2007, 04:59:36 PM

Author
'Suprise' Revealed! *Spoliers* (Read 39,998 times)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 24, 2007, 02:35:17 AM
Just look at terminator2. One chip and an arm changed everything faster than they could ever imagine.

well, thank heavens that it was a terminator and not a predator otherwise you would be confused

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 24, 2007, 02:47:18 AM
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Dec 24, 2007, 02:45:16 AM
Half a city, actually.  But that's no nevermind.  :)

They still carry good ol' fashioned projectile weapons in their hands.

Same thing is Starship Troopers. I loved that movie, but dam I wish they had bigger guns. It took 10 minutes to kill a single bug.
They had a bigger gun at the end, you see one of the soldiers blowing a whole rock away with this weapon... we never saw it in the bad sequel though.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 24, 2007, 02:47:18 AM
Same thing is Starship Troopers. I loved that movie, but dam I wish they had bigger guns. It took 10 minutes to kill a single bug.

I know whatcha mean.  There was no in-story excuse for them not to nuke Klendathu from orbit.  But it makes for a less fun story.

(Plus, they weren't ret-conning a previous film in the series. ;) )

Shasvre

Shasvre

They did develope bigger guns in the end of the movie if I remember correctly. Hopefully we will see some of them in Starship Troppers 3, because I can't remember any new weapons in Starship Trooper 2.

//

By the way, many thanks from Sweden for AVP-R Colin. Looking forward to it ;)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Dec 24, 2007, 02:41:02 AM
Didn't Hudson mention laser weapons?

"Particle beam phalanx" - which is not only a completely different thing to 'plasma' weapons (as in, a totally different branch of science and application), but is basically an extension of technology already studied and explored decades ago. :) It just needs enough money pumped into the refinement to make the stuff viable.

There were "phased plasma pulse rifles" mentioned, however, but quite whether they actually fired plasma or used it as part of the firing process for whatever ammunition they do require (or energy), is quite open to interpretation.

Personally, I'd like it so that the Predator weapons are kept ambiguous, but somehow proven that they are not based on plasma. Mostly, because it's totally unworkable for actual weapons. :)

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/PlasmaWeapons.html

And yeah, superficially fun, but the film version of 'Starship Trooopers' was really crap as an actual story. The entire planets would simply be glassed from afar.

The book version was much better and had technological 'bugs' which were a great deal more frightening than those in the films. They were like tarantulas who discovered weapons, robotics and spaceships. The book was almost completely about boot camp, but at least that species gave the human faction a reason for having to use soldiers and stuff against them.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Dec 24, 2007, 02:47:39 AM
Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 24, 2007, 02:35:17 AM
Just look at terminator2. One chip and an arm changed everything faster than they could ever imagine.

well, thank heavens that it was a terminator and not a predator otherwise you would be confused

thinking about Terminator 2, the think that made it interesting was the fact that they were playing with the predestination paradox, and well paradoxes are interesting. The original Alien movie's plot contained a lot of paradoxical ideas, and at the end of Alien 3 there was a paradoxical presentation of the entity by the name of Bishop II, that's a great paradox for a good number of people who took a close look at him and wondered what was going on. Actually the whole fact that we didn't really work out what was going on when Ripley was being face hugged and it didn't make much sense because of all the confusion, that seemed like a very nice anomaly too. Probably if certain events in Alien 3 were too specifically spelt out in a normal, it might be almost boring,

I like the idea of some kind of paradoxical experience that looks intelligently thought out even it if isn't really, leading towards the discovery of faster than light travel, maybe it might be contact with an extra-terrestrial race, maybe even with the race who gave faster than light technology to the predators but not the predators alone, otherwise it just makes that universe a little bit cramped

Space Disc Jockey

Do we need to stay at the end of the credits for something else?

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Dec 24, 2007, 03:58:52 AM
Do we need to stay at the end of the credits for something else?

if it turns out to be like the  ending of Aliens when you can hear the facehugger scuttling, then probably yes

That Yellow Alien

I wouldn't stay through the credits just to here a facehugger scuttle...

thepouncer

thepouncer

the way i always saw it was ALIEN = LION , HUMAN = PRED , IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE NOHOW OF THE GIVEN BEAST. EXPERIANCED PRED = ALOT OF DEAD ALIENS , UNARMED PRED (MEANING NO PROJECTILE WEAPONS) = DEAD PRED

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Dec 24, 2007, 04:04:59 AM
I wouldn't stay through the credits just to here a facehugger scuttle...

if I had to write Alien 5 or AVP3 as a dumbed down story, I might even do that and I might even have to be searching all the interviews for any cheesy old joke about sequels such as comments about cloning Ripley from her fingernail clippings. I think these days since Joss Whedon made some boring joke once about publishing his many alternate endings for Alien Resurrection, I'd have to have some kind of a story where the people revived the alien race by searching through alternate reality for a timeline where the creature didn't die at the end of A:R, and that's as bad as I can think for an idea now

Dark Passenger

Quote from: thepouncer on Dec 24, 2007, 04:12:27 AM
the way i always saw it was ALIEN = LION , HUMAN = PRED , IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE NOHOW OF THE GIVEN BEAST. EXPERIANCED PRED = ALOT OF DEAD ALIENS , UNARMED PRED (MEANING NO PROJECTILE WEAPONS) = DEAD PRED

I agree....thats how i saw it.....

ubcool

ubcool

what about the original alien trailer?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 23, 2007, 12:34:40 AM
You'll never be able to fully enjoy it now, so what's the point?
I read up on every single little detail about Alienbefore I saw it. Knew the plot backwards. Still scared the shit out of me. :-\

Dark Passenger

^haha, yeah it has that effect on people..... :D ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed