ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,603 times)

HuDaFuK

At least something had to have got back to them, because between the second and third films it goes from Burke apparently being a lone agent to the company sending an entire team to snag an Alien.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 11, 2014, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2014, 12:30:49 PMThe problem with that is, how would they know to write the report about the Alien, let alone any details about the Alien on which to base their report? Everyone who went to LV-426 is dead.

Given how quickly Bishop II and co. rock up on Fiorina, it's s safe bet they got some information sent back while the Hadley's snafu was going on.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 11, 2014, 12:46:52 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2014, 12:30:49 PM
The problem with that is, how would they know to write the report about the Alien, let alone any details about the Alien on which to base their report? Everyone who went to LV-426 is dead.

I would assume the APC was constantly uploading data (including the marine's video feed) to the Sulaco, at least until it was totaled by the dropship. The Sulaco might also have a recording of the events in the hangar and possibly a debriefing by Ripley. Bishop might also have used his USB port to upload data to the Sulaco mainframe.
So despite the Sulaco being a USCM ship and the data (allegedly) uploading to USCM servers or whatever, W-Y still managed to get the data first and be the first-responders to Fury 161?

Also worth pointing out that since the W-Y Report references the USCM Tech Manual, we know for a fact that there's more encounters with the Alien since the last chapter of that book spells one out on the last page. :P
And the Tech Manual confirms that the Derelict wasn't destroyed in 'Aliens', so it stands to reason that the USCM would have done some kind of investigation and sent another team to LV-426 to figure out what happened (even if it wasn't the particular events of Colonial Marines, which I'm not ruling out), which would constitute another Alien encounter.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The Sulaco probably transmitted it's data to the USCM HQ. I assume they must have decided to share it with WY (either willingly or via a crooked higher-up in the pay of WY).

Or perhaps WY simply intercepted the transmission and decrypted it themselves, who knows?

WY might not have gotten the Sulaco data first but they did get the data from Fiorina 161 first. The USCM most likely did not even know about the events of Fiorina. The Patna might also have been closer to Fiorina than any of the USCM's assets.

QuoteAnd the Tech Manual confirms that the Derelict wasn't destroyed in 'Aliens'

That was unfortunately retconned by Alien: Resurrection.

Quoteso it stands to reason that the USCM would have done some kind of investigation and sent another team to LV-426 to figure out what happened (even if it wasn't the particular events of Colonial Marines, which I'm not ruling out), which would constitute another Alien encounter.

No doubt they would send in another team to investigate. All that they would have found though is a big crater since all the Aliens and the Derelict were destroyed by the AP blast.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I have no difficulty believing that everything which occurred prior to the APC's destruction was relayed to the network via the Sulaco.  The company would then have all the confirmation they needed to corroborate Ripley's story.

I can easily believe that Burke could have slipped away and privately sent a transmission of his own after he saw those live facehuggers and his eyes turned into dollar signs.

predxeno

Are we really asking about the canonicity of the Wey-Yu Report?  Wow, I forgot how hardcore this forum was, lol. :D

Btw, the Derelict survived the nuclear explosion in Aliens as it showed up in its "official" sequel, A:CM, remember?

Local Trouble

Does this book take A:CM into account?

predxeno

I would find it personally hilarious if it did cause it'll piss off so many fans lol, but in all honesty it probably won't for that exact reason.

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 12:04:49 AM
Are we really asking about the canonicity of the Wey-Yu Report?  Wow, I forgot how hardcore this forum was, lol. :D

Takes everything as canon.
Says everyone else is hardcore...

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 11, 2014, 01:01:23 PM
QuoteAnd the Tech Manual confirms that the Derelict wasn't destroyed in 'Aliens'

That was unfortunately retconned by Alien: Resurrection.
And then it got re-retconned back into existence when the USCM Tech Manual got reissued this year, unchanged (not to mention its presence post 'Alien Resurrection' in AvPClassic in 1999, and again in Colonial Marines last year). :)

RakaiThwei

I'm starting to hate retcons.

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 12, 2014, 02:24:12 AM
I'm starting to hate retcons.
They've been around ever since the first standalone story ever told got a sequel. :P

I mean I'm not going to lie, we've seen some wacky retcons in the Alienverse in the last year or so, and the Derelict is the least of them. Hicks not being dead (Colonial Marines), Ripley waking up in between Alien and Aliens (Out of the Shadows), Amanda Ripley going on her own adventure (Isolation), there being Marines on LV-426 pre-Aliens (River of Pain), some Hadley's Hope colonists escaping the planet (Fire and Stone), W-Y completely recovering from whatever dire straits they were in in Resurrection (Sea of Sorrows), etc.

SM

QuoteI'm starting to hate retcons.

It's generally much less painful if you stick with the flicks.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 02:29:10 AM
QuoteI'm starting to hate retcons.

But what's the fun in that? ;)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 02:29:10 AM

Why do you think I gave up on EU?

FiorinaFury161

I admit, many of those scenerios Xenomrph mentioned sound interesting to me. Except for Hicks not being dead. That is angering to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed