Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 617,075 times)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Russ on Sep 19, 2018, 01:16:00 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Sep 03, 2018, 02:24:30 PM
I put myself on a hard deadline when it comes to writing and posting stuff, primarily with FF.net. When I graduated, I made it a personal goal to publish a new chapter every other day, and so far, I've kept that. I'm glad I can keep that kind of goal, especially since I'm pressing myself to write longer and longer chapters. I've told myself not to pander to the readers, but there are times where it feels like the things they say are good ideas, or they really like a certain character and I decide to give that character some more "page-time," so to say.

Lately, I've been worried because feedback slowed down tremendously. I panic because I don't know what's wrong with the story, and I keep criticizing myself too harshly over plot elements, character decisions, things that were supposed to included but aren't, etc. It's like I'm going in circles. Occasionally, I tell myself to just keep going, make it better, and people will comment again. Nothing's wrong!

Like, right now, I should be working, and I'm not. I don't know if I should just push myself to write, or wait until I actually have the motivation.

If you're able to output that much, why are you writing on FF.net? And not for a novel? Most people can only dream of getting out a chapter every other day (or maybe that's just me).

But that's some impressive work - I'd encourage you to do your own thing. Be interested to see what you're doing on FF, that said.

Can't believe it took me this long to remember posting here.

I'm actually working on a novel. Writing novels has been a dream of mine for awhile. I like working on both original and fanfiction. I write on Fanfiction.net because, well, I enjoy it. People actually enjoy what I write, and I don't want to give up. There's no other place where I'd be able to work on it.

As far as my original work goes, I'm trying to get a manuscript started, as well as finding a publisher who'll work with my genre. Who knows? Maybe I can write an "Aliens" novel if my original stuff goes well. Can't wait to see y'all rip it to shreds here. :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nothing like that positive outlook.  :P

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 25, 2018, 07:54:59 AM
Nothing like that positive outlook.  :P

Hey, being positive can be a challenge. It depends on the day.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I jest. I often struggle with maintaining positivity or motivation. Trying to make a conscious effort to not let things drag me down.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 25, 2018, 11:40:21 AM
I jest. I often struggle with maintaining positivity or motivation. Trying to make a conscious effort to not let things drag me down.

Sometimes, it has to come unconsciously, when you least expect it. Or just a balance of pushing yourself and understanding that forcing it can make it worse.

Huggs

Huggs

I maintain an unwavering positive attitude in the workplace. It inspires my co-workers, and makes for good crying at home.  ;D

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 25, 2018, 11:34:50 PM

I maintain an unwavering positive attitude in the workplace. It inspires my co-workers, and makes for good crying at home.  ;D

I feel like you just summed up what my first job will be like.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

So one of the screewriters I've covered on my podcast has blocked the show's Twitter account. I have no idea why. :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Did you slag off one of his scripts?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2018, 10:50:06 AM
Did you slag off one of his scripts?

No, quite the opposite.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Hmmm. Odd.  :-\

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

New podcast episode, on Commando II, is up.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

At one point does something usually mildly annoying become a problem?

It has been a little over twenty-four hours since our internet slowed down to near-garbage. It randomly fluctuates in how much it wants to work, and that's pissing me off. One, I've lost progress in my writing several times. Two, various apps on my phone just won't work (Pokémon Duel takes forever to load, and Twitch is buffering like a motherf**ker.) The issue with Twitch is especially annoying because, recently, Alien Theory started streaming, and I've been watching and having good conversations with him. I enjoy that. I've enjoyed his videos for almost a year and I'm glad that I have an opportunity to communicate with him, and he seems to enjoy my company. Twitch buffers and I can't keep watching. It almost feels like I'm being yanked away from a conversation for a stupid reason. Does this sound petty? I know it does. I'm well-aware it does, which is why I've been hesitant on posting this. Right now, I just want to vent, because this problem, which usually rights itself in a few hours, has not resolved itself, and I feel like it never will.

I hate having this mindset where if something doesn't work, it's broken for good, and there's no way to fix it. It's easy for someone to say, "Just don't think that way," but that's easier said than done. This endless loop of working-not-working is akin to nightmares I regularly have where I'm stuck in one location and I have no idea if I'm going to leave. That became a reality when I was in Great Lakes Training Camp: I was stuck, and even though I know boot camp lasts eight weeks (they put me in a push division, which was supposed to be seven weeks), it felt like it was going to last eight months. The recruit program I was in didn't tell me about training setbacks. When I learned about them, and actually experienced one when I failed my run, I became convinced I would fail the run over and over and be stuck in that place for a long, long time. That fear is possibly one of the reasons I failed my second-chance run ("But, Rabbit, you're supposed to use that fear to push yourself forward!") I know. That didn't happen. Separations didn't help, because even though run failures are in there for a short time, only God knows when you get your name called for departure dates.

So, that's my story. I don't know if my Wi-Fi's gonna fix itself, or if it's going to be slow forever, or until I move out, or until someone decides to say that we need to get a new router or whatever the hell controls the Wi-Fi. It's pissing me off for a number of reasons, and I have a manuscript I need to work on that's gonna get set back if this doesn't get fixed.

SM

SM

Can't you just get it fixed?

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: SM on Dec 23, 2018, 12:38:41 PM
Can't you just get it fixed?

It fixed itself (seemingly) a week ago. There's not much we can do because reception in this area can be pretty bad. It's normal for it to cut out, and right itself in five minutes. What happened last weekend was weird.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed