Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 74,355 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 01, 2024, 12:11:09 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 01, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 31, 2024, 10:52:10 PMJust realized The Director's Cut diminishes The Queen. Having the Derelict present with thousands of eggs aboard makes having a egg laying Queen less necessary.

If the Directors Cut diminishes the Queen, then the Theatrical Cut is no different.

It differs in that a ship full of eggs makes a Queen pointless; why have her lay egs if thousand already are waiting? But now that you mention Ripley confronts Burke about him sending Hadley's colonists to the ship in both versions. So technically its an issue in both versions, but the Director's Cut has the visuals of the Derelicy which stirs the memory of Ripley saying, "Kane said that there was thousands of eggs there."

It's really not an issue in either.  Yes, in both versions they found the Derelict otherwise the film can't happen, but one Alien that got birthed was a Queen and they set up shop in the AP station.  Not sure what's getting diminished.

SiL

SiL

I find they're complimentary. The number of eggs on the derelict highlights the danger of having a living Queen around -- she's going to leave that number of eggs if she's not taken out of the picture soon.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Basically, the derelict was close enough to be destroyed by the AP explosion, but also far enough that it would have been impractical for the aliens to use as a nest.  They needed an egg layer somewhere at the colony in order to infest the place.

SiL

SiL

I maintain the derelict eggs were already mostly nonviable from the damage to the ship, agree to disagree me.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Or exposure to the elements after the hold was damaged.  It's possible that the blue stasis field thingamajig was only still functioning around a small cache of surviving eggs by the time Russ got clamped.

Either way, the derelict would have made a poor nest for the aliens.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 01, 2024, 12:47:03 AMOr exposure to the elements after the hold was damaged.  It's possible that the blue stasis field thingamajig was only still functioning around a small cache of surviving eggs by the time Russ got clamped.

It was only over one section of the eggs as it was. The others might well have been dead by the time Kane got there.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You're really driving a stake through the idea that the derelict may have been a viable source of eggs after Aliens.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Lambert: What happened to the rest of the crew?

It's impossible to know if there was a crew on the Derelict, but there's a chilling feeling behind the idea that the eggs were the so called crew after experiencing eggmorphing. :o

Honestly...I prefer that to the thousands of people from the Covenant ship.  It gives a sense of cosmic horror to the thing.:P

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Assuming it had a crew beyond David in the jockey suit.

chromhart

chromhart

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 01, 2024, 02:49:15 AM
Lambert: What happened to the rest of the crew?

It's impossible to know if there was a crew on the Derelict, but there's a chilling feeling behind the idea that the eggs were the so called crew after experiencing eggmorphing. :o

Honestly...I prefer that to the thousands of people from the Covenant ship.  It gives a sense of cosmic horror to the thing.:P

Me too! I always thought that the Eggsof the Derelict were its' Eggmorphed crew. I never liked the idea of the Queen, I loved the design of it though. I also didn't like the hivemind ideas.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

At the time 'Alien' was made, it's absolutely clear that the eggs were intended to originate from the derelict occupants. Lamberts throwaway "I wonder what happened to the rest of the crew" line, the fact that everything we see on the derelict foreshadows what will happen on the Nostromo; the hole in the Jockey's rib cage burst outwards (as per Kane), the acid burn on the floor by the Jockey (as per the Nostromo infirmary when Ash attempts to remove the hugger), and at the time of filming, the egg morphing scene, which shows what happens to the crew the Alien takes.. basically the Nostromo was becoming the next derelict, a ghost ship that could later be discovered with several eggs in the lower decks, had Ripley not detonated the engines.

The queen is absolutely unnecessary, and the alien was a better creature without it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Apr 01, 2024, 06:31:31 AMAt the time 'Alien' was made, it's absolutely clear that the eggs were intended to originate from the derelict occupants.

Didn't Ridley say on more than one occasion that the derelict was transporting the eggs for use as a biological weapon?

That doesn't sound like an alien unexpectedly got loose and turned the entire crew into eggs during the ship's journey.

SiL

SiL

Scott referred to it as a bomber.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I could be wrong on this one, but didn't all Ridley's comments about it being a bomber come in interviews much later? I seem to recall it being tied to comments he made about how none of the other movies explored the Jockey/derelict and how he thought that was a more interesting direction to take the story (this was years before Prometheus) - or am I remembering multiple interviews and combining them into one? 😅

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Apr 01, 2024, 07:34:51 AMI could be wrong on this one, but didn't all Ridley's comments about it being a bomber come in interviews much later? I seem to recall it being tied to comments he made about how none of the other movies explored the Jockey/derelict and how he thought that was a more interesting direction to take the story (this was years before Prometheus) - or am I remembering multiple interviews and combining them into one? 😅

He's been calling it that since not long after the film came out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed