Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 280,590 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Ok hypothetical question...

I am in NO WAY wishing this upon Ridley Scott, but if he were to pass away before the next movie gets made, and no other director steps in to make another film in the series, would you be satisfied with covenant being the last film made?

echobbase79

echobbase79

As far as the prequel trilogy goes I wouldn't have a problem with it being the final movie in this particular story arc, but I wouldn't want it to be the final film in the overall series.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 11, 2017, 05:24:33 AM

I am in NO WAY wishing this upon Ridley Scott, but if he were to pass away before the next movie gets made, and no other director steps in to make another film in the series, would you be satisfied with covenant being the last film made?
Hell, no. Covenant left a sour taste in my mouth. That's a very upsetting way to end the series. I want to see the end of the Prometheus story arc and then they should mothball the seres for good.

Predaker

Predaker

Yes, but why does Ridley have to die in this hypothetical?

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 11, 2017, 03:42:25 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Jun 11, 2017, 03:12:29 AM
Great ending... wouldn't call it a cliffhanger though. We already know David told Daniels he was going to do to her what he did to Shaw and none of these people are going to survive to tell their story. We can deduce from David's embryos and the 2,000 some odd colonists that they will somehow lead to the eggs in the original derelict. It leaves plenty on the table for a sequel but at the same time it doesn't require one, either.

And none of this works for me... lol

With such a mindset, I have a feeling, it'd be impossible to please you :<

Engineer

Engineer

Salt the fries - No it wouldn't be impossible to please me. I'm just saying, I wasn't satisfied with this movie's ending or the direction the prequels are heading. The Prometheus/covenant story arc just isn't working for me. On the flip side, when I first heard the premise/synopsis for Alien: Isolation and Alien: Out of the Shadows, I was HIGHLY skeptical that either one would be good. I rolled my eyes at the thought of inserting ripley or her daughter into another story between alien and aliens. And both times I was pleasantly surprised and loved both! So I can be pleased, and there is still a story to be told in the alien series. These prequels just aren't it for me.

Predaker - Ridley doesn't have to die, it's just a hypothetical. I figured the man won't give up on the series (which I admire), so that'd be the only thing to stop the series right here. Maybe a bit extreme. If so I apologize.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 11, 2017, 03:12:29 AM
Great ending... wouldn't call it a cliffhanger though. We already know David told Daniels he was going to do to her what he did to Shaw and none of these people are going to survive to tell their story. We can deduce from David's embryos and the 2,000 some odd colonists that they will somehow lead to the eggs in the original derelict. It leaves plenty on the table for a sequel but at the same time it doesn't require one, either.

Agreed. It's great dark ending, should it end like that you can join the dots. Equally it's open enough to lead to another film.

Alionic

Alionic

In the prequel series? Absolutely. They belong to Scott alone. I would be fine with them making a sequel to Resurrection though.

Samhain13

Samhain13

would you be satisfied with covenant being the last film made?

Considering that the next one could make things worse, yes maybe it would be better to leave it alone. But even without Ridley Fox could put someone else to finish the prequel series if they wanted to.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2017, 01:21:27 AMWhich Marvel movies are cliffhangers?  They all resolve themselves by the end. 

Winter Soldier.

"Let's go find the Winter Soldier!"
"Yeah!"
*end*

Covenant's ending was OK, except for the hysterically obvious "twist".

Robopadna

Robopadna

I mean there are plenty of ways this is the likely outcome without anything happening to Scott.

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 12, 2017, 08:47:23 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2017, 01:21:27 AMWhich Marvel movies are cliffhangers?  They all resolve themselves by the end. 

Winter Soldier.

"Let's go find the Winter Soldier!"
"Yeah!"
*end*

Covenant's ending was OK, except for the hysterically obvious "twist".

Winter Soldier ended with the Hydra plot defeated.  Just because there's stuff to spin off into a sequel and left the villain alive isn't a cliffhanger anymore than Star Wars is.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

And just because the main threat was defeated doesn't mean the film couldn't still have a cliffhanger. Winter Soldier literally stopped in the middle of a scene.

Not to mention practically every Marvel film has had a cliffhanger scene after the credits.

And the end of Empire Strikes Back is definitely a cliffhanger. Hans fate is hanging in the balance.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 12, 2017, 09:12:48 PM
And just because the main threat was defeated doesn't mean the film couldn't still have a cliffhanger. Winter Soldier literally stopped in the middle of a scene.

Not to mention practically every Marvel film has had a cliffhanger scene after the credits.

And the end of Empire Strikes Back is definitely a cliffhanger. Hans fate is hanging in the balance.
I agree with HuDa on this. The primary plot may have been wrapped up, but there are many sub-plots and the grander-plot that are left open as a bit of a cliff hanger...

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 12, 2017, 09:23:49 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 12, 2017, 09:12:48 PM

I agree with HuDa on this. The primary plot may have been wrapped up, but there are many sub-plots and the grander-plot that are left open as a bit of a cliff hanger...
Empire is the only cliffhanger in the original six, until Force Awakens, which I thought was very weak.

What does Covenant wrap up? I don't think it offers much closure. If anything, they play up the unresolved threats and terror.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed