Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 280,583 times)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 26, 2017, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: Gash on May 26, 2017, 06:17:22 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 26, 2017, 06:03:18 PM
That's why it fails its cast and its production crew. And its audience.

According to the poll at the top of this thread, the vast majority here enjoyed it.

I'm shocked, shocked to find mass approval on the Alien-themed Internet forum!

You can't just wave off those that like the film as just being mindless fans. I respect the fact you don't like it and you should respect those that do. I don't think it's anything like a slasher movie, far from it but you do and that's fine, we view it differently.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 26, 2017, 06:53:32 PM

According to the poll at the top of this thread, the vast majority here enjoyed it.

You can't just wave off those that like the film as just being mindless fans.

I didn't say that. But I do find the response predictable and so should you.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 26, 2017, 05:01:19 PM
Interesting. Similar criticisms were made in regards to Alien, when it was in theaters, almost 40 years ago: the slasher film in space.

Yeah, I'm well aware. The point is Alien became much more than that due to top-quality production, capable talent and careful storytelling and smart screenwriting.

AC has the first two but comes apart due to the utter lack of original or compelling new story.

Curious. I was asking myself if it would have all three, here:

Alas, perhaps it does, and maybe it won't be anything more than slightly above average. Films like Alien and Aliens are rare, because they're hard to make, even in the hands of a skilled veteran like Scott, or Cameron. Yes, Cameron makes boatloads of money but that doesn't elevate a lot of his more recent films to "great" status, by any means.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I have not watched your videos but I can safely say I think the film is definitely not average or above average. Production-wise yes, it is fantastically crafted. Overall it's a mess. And trying to put AC up against Cameron's lowest light is a mistake, IMO.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 26, 2017, 07:01:54 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 26, 2017, 06:53:32 PM

You can't just wave off those that like the film as just being mindless fans.

I didn't say that. But I do find the response predictable and so should you.

So what did you mean by your comment because that's how it came across to me

stroggificated

stroggificated

I dunno...

Why can't they do characters being likable anymore? Alien, Alien3 and to some extent, AVP are more creepy than this.
This film was alright....like Alien Resurrection...just alright. :/

Are we supposed to root for David or to hope for his death? So much focus on Fassbender lately. It almost feels like that Ridley Scott wanted to put some Bladerunner into this. Robots who turn intelligent and stuff..

So many open questions. Did David just exterminate the Space Jockeys now? Are they now entirely out of the game ? An advanced species that habitates just one single planet? Why did David even shed a tear over them? Is this supposed to make David "deep"? If yes, it failed in doing so. Does the director even care about such questions?

I can't decribe it, but this flick has no soul.

2/5  :-\

Snake

Snake

Quote from: stroggificated on May 26, 2017, 07:23:05 PM
I dunno...

Why can't they do characters being likable anymore? Alien, Alien3 and to some extent, AVP are more creepy than this.

Are we supposed to root for David or to hope for his death? So much focus on Fassbender lately. It almost feels like that Ridley Scott wanted to put some Bladerunner into this. Robots who turn intelligent and stuff..

So many open questions. Did David just exterminate the Space Jockeys now? Are they now entirely out of the game ? An advanced species that habitates just one single planet? Why did David even shed a tear over them? Is this supposed to make David "deep"? If yes, it failed in doing so. Does the director even care about such questions?

I'm just going to pretend I didn't read any of this...

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: Snake on May 26, 2017, 07:26:58 PM
I dunno...

I completely agree with this.The film didn't provoke much emotion from me apart from irritation

Magegg

Magegg

Yeah. Very very hollow. The main character is an android with almost no feelings... I think we could describe Covenant just as David: sleek but manufactured, with a wrong and deficient logic.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 26, 2017, 04:31:22 PM
I don't go to parties. I do give good head, though, for what that's worth.

Have some self respect man.

And you really should watch the film first before you start ripping into other people's reviews, no matter how you attempt to justify it.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on May 26, 2017, 08:33:11 PM
Yeah. Very very hollow. The main character is an android with almost no feelings... I think we could describe Covenant just as David: sleek but manufactured, with a wrong and deficient logic.

That would be the royal we presumably?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on May 26, 2017, 08:31:17 PM
I dunno...

I completely agree with this.The film didn't provoke much emotion from me apart from irritation
I agree too... and why pretend not to read it? He's not saying anything new here; others have already said the same thing once or twice or more before and you read that. It's an opinion; everybody has one whether you agree with it or not.

Snake

Snake

*sigh* I'm going to miss Ridley when he's gone...I mean, who's there to replace him? He's practically in a league of his own when it comes to making a clever sci-fi...The only directors I can think of that even come close to him are Nolan, Del Toro or Cuaron...

Prometheus isn't a perfect movie at all...but I'll always remember Chopin's 'raindrop prelude' being part of the soundtrack. That was genius.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2017, 08:38:40 PM
Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on May 26, 2017, 08:31:17 PM
I dunno...

I agree too... and why pretend not to read it? He's not saying anything new here; others have already said the same thing once or twice or more before and you read that. It's an opinion; everybody has one whether you agree with it or not.

You're absolutey right. I really connected to the characters, something I struggled to do with Prometheus, others were the other way round.

We all take something different away from a film. I'm interested in reading all these views whether they liked the film or not but too many people, on both sides of the fence, feel the need to express an opinion as fact and make ridiculous sweeping statements.

Engineer

Engineer

And, likewise, turn combative towards someone who expresses an opposing view/opinion related to the film...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed