The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 190,217 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm enjoying At The Mountains of Madness quite a bit. I love Lovecraft's description of the specimens Lake finds in the mountain. He goes every detail imaginable.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yesterday in class we talked about radial symmetry in animalia. It occurred to the professor that bilateral symmetry eases cephalization.
And with that it occurred to me that perhaps Lovecraft wanted to precisely jab at that with the Elder Things: make a space-faring race with radial symmetry! Although it's more of radial/bilateral, all things considered -- but the radial symmetry is certainly dominant.

This could be always in-keeping with the theme of how things from beyond the stars might take shapes we don't and can't conceive given our knowledge.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

When you put it like that, I never had trouble envisioning Lovecraft's monsters while reading his stories.

66jedikiller66

66jedikiller66

I would like to take this opportunity to say this is a fantastic thread.
When I was in my teens and into my 20's I read everything the man wrote at least 3 times.
I'm in my 40's now and still think about his work from time to time, I may even dig my old books out from the attic and resurrect some ancient evil tonight.  ;D
When I was young, fourteen or so, I started reading Lovecraft and then started researching him, Alister Crowley and The Mad Arab Abdul Alhazred all from the perspective that it was real.
Mind you I was a very impressionable boy.
Also keep in mind that no one I knew owned a computer so research other than the library and book stores was very limited.
So the more I read the further down the spiral I went, I started delving into the occult in a sort of "Hands on" sort of way, a few seances and rituals etc. However, I had to get out of it because the whole scene was bringing me down mentally.
But now when I look back I realize it helped open my eyes to a wider spectrum of alternate realities and other dimensions in a way that no other science fiction writer ever gave me.
Lovecraft did the perfect job of marrying Science and Horror together using a descriptive style I'd never seen before and until this day is my favorite author.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Howard Philips Lovecraft died 76 years ago today.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 14, 2013, 03:08:27 AMWhen you put it like that, I never had trouble envisioning Lovecraft's monsters while reading his stories.
I don't know why, but for some reason my visualizations of his monsters were more frightening than the ones I see in paintings, sculptures, etc.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 15, 2013, 02:17:40 PMHoward Philips Lovecraft died 76 years ago today.
He's been going in and out of style, but he's guaranteed to raise a smile.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Well, many depictions of his creatures really do not sell them as well as they could.

Out of a good perhaps hundred designs for Cthulhu I have seen, few of them actually bring adequately the presence of the character. Practically the same for the Dunwich Horror, for one -- though I have seen less interpretations.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I've been told that my new art style was badass enough for people to suggest that I do drawings based on Lovecraft's stories, and uh...I decided to have a go at the creatures that are talked about in The Whisperer in Darkness:

Spoiler
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

He drew this in something like 20 minutes, people. I'm not kidding.

Amazing.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 16, 2013, 02:46:02 AM
He drew this in something like 20 minutes, people. I'm not kidding.

Amazing.

I'm glad ya love it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I haven't even read that story yet but, uhhh...

HOLY SHIT :o

That is friggin amazing man.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 16, 2013, 03:24:54 AM
It's his best next to The Colour Out of Space. Get on it, you're missing out!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

That's certainly a unique interpretation of the Mi-Go.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 16, 2013, 03:30:21 AM
That's certainly a unique interpretation

f**king awesome, thanks man. Glad to see that I strayed from the norm, f**k yes.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 16, 2013, 03:24:54 AM

HOLY SHIT :o

That is friggin amazing man.

Thanks. I sure hope you can make it out in order to tell what it is I was trying to do.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 16, 2013, 03:46:27 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 16, 2013, 03:30:21 AM
That's certainly a unique interpretation

f**king awesome, thanks man. Glad to see that I strayed from the norm, f**k yes.

It's certainly different from how the movie portrayed them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed