This is why Prometheus is a great Sci-Fi film

Started by The_Foxcatcher, Mar 02, 2017, 11:09:50 AM

Author
This is why Prometheus is a great Sci-Fi film (Read 15,065 times)

SM

SM

QuoteWhy would anyone see a movie a second time because he didn't get it the first?

I have.  If I watched a film and thought I was missing something I'd watch it again.  I watched 2001 a number of times before it clicked.  I only 'got' Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now at a surface superficial level when I first watched them.  I've tried Eraserhead a couple of times but that's quite enough...

I do agree with your first sentence though.

Hemi

Hemi

Thinking you missed something is not what I mean. I also enjoy watching movies that don't sink in first viewing, multiple times.

BR / Apocalypse now / 2001 are great movies, even if you don't get all the things happening on screen. Pacing / story telling etc it feels like a complete picture. Prometheus does not.

"Interesting, I would like to know more about this development. Maybe it has something to do with events earlier in the movie. I would have to rewatch it." VS "why the fck is this character acting so bloody weird, it's like something got cut from the movie and I am missing something."

The first is explained by rewatching it, the second is explained by either commentary / comics / fanboys and white knights. (not the right way of doing things...)

IMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEHHHhhhh

SM

Prometheus is another one I watched a few times (and still watch).

In that instance though, yes, after multiple viewings I realised I hadn't missed anything.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The_Foxcatcher on Mar 25, 2017, 12:37:11 PM
And what the hell is 'Fanwanking' ?!  That's what I call insulting.

Stroking one's phallus to a work of art.  Is it still insulting?

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Olde on Mar 25, 2017, 09:20:11 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 06, 2017, 05:16:51 AM
QuoteShaw: They created us. Then they tried to kill us. They changed their minds. I deserve to know why.

Naturally since Shaw's character is a Christian, she would want to know why the Engineers did this.
This is ultimately the essence of the movie and the most superficial part of the film.

There is more to the "essence" of "Prometheus" than this statement by Shaw which I explained in the my post which you quoted from (for instance with David's statements).

Ridley Scott in his later years seems to be asking questions that have already been raised and answered in much more profound and elegant ways. Prometheus did comparatively little with this concept. The Book of Job gives a much better scenario and account than Prometheus, and answers this most basic of questions in a significantly more meaningful way than Ridley Scott could ever do.

1. There is a difference between a religious/philosophical book and a film.
Movies, especially science fiction films, are a visual medium which because of that, can only briefly touch on philosophical ideas compared with books.
- For instance the excellent "2001" can only briefly reference Nietzsche's ideas on evolution and the 'Overman' through music and disconnected sequences. "2001" is no equal in depth to Nietzsche's writings on these topics. 
- "Blade Runner" can touch on what it means to be human but is not a complete philosophical statement regarding this which has been written about for thousands of years.

2. Considering the limits of film, still a movie can be consistent with concepts which are mentioned in a book.
- Olde points to the Book of Job and states that it "answers this most basic of questions in a significantly more meaningful way".
And yet the answers from David in "Prometheus" are consistent with some of the ideas in the Book of Job. 

- From the Book of Job (which I have read BTW);

QuoteGod speaks from a whirlwind...
"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" Job makes a brief response, but God's monologue resumes, never addressing Job directly.[14] In 42:1–6 Job makes his final response, confessing God's power and his own lack of knowledge "of things beyond me which I did not know".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Job

* The questions addressed here and overall in the Book of Job are;
- Why is God at first good to Job and then why does God allow calamities to be brought down upon this man?
This is the question debated in the Book of Job which is echoed in Shaw's question;

QuoteShaw: They created us. Then they tried to kill us. They changed their minds. I deserve to know why.

* What are some of the answers in the Book of Job?
- First, what God does is beyond human comprehension. (And Job accepts that.)

This is not contradicted by what David says in "Prometheus".
One idea which David presents (in his reply to Shaw) is that the Engineer's motivation is not worth knowing.
One reason for this is because David realizes that the motivations of the Engineers cannot be known (echoing this part of the Book of Job).
Another reason (which I discuss below) is that the motivation of the Engineers can be underwhelming which is consistent with another part of the Book of Job.

QuoteDavid: The answer is irrelevant. Does it matter why they changed their minds?

- Second, in the Book of Job, God was involved in a debate (with Satan) about Job as part of a test of faith.
The result of the debate essentially sets up an experiment; will Job remain true if everything is taken away from him?
God decides to make Job suffer to see what this human will do.

Again from Wikipedia;

QuoteSatan answers that Job is pious only because God has blessed him; if God were to take away everything that Job had, then he would surely curse God. God gives Satan permission to take Job's wealth and kill all of his children and servants,

This idea of God as the experimenter is not a comforting answer. It is underwhelming, almost trivial. Yet it is part of what takes place in the Book of Job.

- And this idea of an uncomforting answer to the motivation of a godlike being is consistent with David saying that knowing the Engineer's motivations was irrelevant (because it's trivial) and David also tells Holloway that the motivation of the Engineers may be disappointing;

QuoteHolloway: What we hoped to achieve was to meet our makers. To get answers. Why they even made us in the first place.
David: Why do you think your people made me?
Holloway: We made you because we could.
David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?

- Godlike beings doing things because they are curious, because they want to see what happens, that is a core idea in doing experiments.

Lindelof brings up the experimenter idea in the writer's commentary (on the Blu-ray from about 1:38).

QuoteLindelof; And David just basically gives his own theory which is, well, in order to create, we must first destroy. And so whether they were experimenting, the petri-dish theory,...

And this is consistent with the Book of Job.

3. Looking at it as a whole, one final answer from the Book of Job is that God is a creator and God is also a destroyer.
God in the text points to the mysteries of existence and the universe.
And the reality of life and the universe, which God is pointing to, is that it involves creation and destruction.
They go hand in hand.

And this fits David's summary of the efforts of the Engineers.

QuoteDavid: Sometimes to create, one must first destroy.

4. Finally, I'll again point out; Films do not replace libraries of books about religion and philosophy.
Movies can only touch on religious / philosophical topics due to the nature of the medium.
But the brief references in a movie can be consistent with the more extensive exploration of ideas in a book.
That is the situation between the Book of Job and "Prometheus". The film is consistent with the book.

Imo at least. ;)

PS. For a video essay which discusses concepts about God which can be considered based on what is brought up in "Prometheus", (as I mentioned in another thread), I recommend going to the "Renegade Cut" YouTube channel and watching its video about "Prometheus".

PPS. Hemi has responded to one of my comments. I'd be most happy to reply in a post about that as soon as there is a comment in this thread after this one. ;)

Russ840

Pull the trigger dude.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: SM on Mar 27, 2017, 10:19:58 AM
QuoteWhy would anyone see a movie a second time because he didn't get it the first?

I have.  If I watched a film and thought I was missing something I'd watch it again.  I watched 2001 a number of times before it clicked.  I only 'got' Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now at a surface superficial level when I first watched them.  I've tried Eraserhead a couple of times but that's quite enough...

I do agree with your first sentence though.
Eraserhead is more of a mood piece than anything, you either feel it or not. I watched it first in 2006 or 2007, it immediately grabbed me and never let go.

D88M

is a good movie with some great moments, is not terrible and is not filled with plot holes like some people think, and it needs the deleted scenes back in, but all around is a good movie, not great, not bad

SM

How would the deleted scenes improve it?

Olde

Olde

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 06, 2017, 05:16:51 AM

Naturally since Shaw's character is a Christian, she would want to know why the Engineers did this.
This is ultimately the essence of the movie and the most superficial part of the film.

There is more to the "essence" of "Prometheus" than this statement by Shaw which I explained in the my post which you quoted from (for instance with David's statements).
Is there? Is there is more to the "essence" of Prometheus than the fundamental question of human existence, "why are we here?"? A question that by your own admission is out of place for a movie to even answer because of the limitation of the medium? Oh please do go on. Because a number of other stupid things, such as geologists smoking pot, a fossilized head exploding after being poked with electrical prods, and a giant tentacle monster faceraping a giant albino could possibly be contributing more to this essence of the movie and I wouldn't want to overlook them.

1. There is a difference between a religious/philosophical book and a film.
Movies, especially science fiction films, are a visual medium which because of that, can only briefly touch on philosophical ideas compared with books.
- For instance the excellent "2001" can only briefly reference Nietzsche's ideas on evolution and the 'Overman' through music and disconnected sequences. "2001" is no equal in depth to Nietzsche's writings on these topics. 
- "Blade Runner" can touch on what it means to be human but is not a complete philosophical statement regarding this which has been written about for thousands of years.
True, but it goes to my fundamental point that if the medium is unable to actually meaningfully address these questions, merely asking or evoking them is unacceptable. It cannot act like a smart film if at the very least it doesn't even offer an original interpretation of an answer. I do not dispute your claim:
2. Considering the limits of film, still a movie can be consistent with concepts which are mentioned in a book.
This is true. The 1997 film Starship Troopers is a much smarter film than people give it credit for, as it offers a bleak and sad interpretation of what life might be like under a totalitarian, fascist regime that praises violence as its solution to problems. It's not a great film, but it does what it sets out to do (answers a question).

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PM- Olde points to the Book of Job and states that it "answers this most basic of questions in a significantly more meaningful way".
And yet the answers from David in "Prometheus" are consistent with some of the ideas in the Book of Job.
The answers are consistent because the Book of Job is a profound work of literature (some would say scripture) in a more poetic, philosophical, and meaningful way, and Ridley Scott and other non-nihilists don't know how to offer an interpretation that both answers mankind's most basic question and is also original (e.g., strays from the answer offered in the Book of Job).

One of the key differences between Job and Prometheus is that Job actually gets an answer. Shaw doesn't.

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PM* The questions addressed here and overall in the Book of Job are;
- Why is God at first good to Job and then why does God allow calamities to be brought down upon this man?
This is the question debated in the Book of Job which is echoed in Shaw's question;

Two things. 1) While that is the question in Job, a more basic and not inconsistent reading is Job and his friends' desire to know why God does what He does. The situation is analogous to Shaw, who wants to know why the Engineers created us (i.e., why God created Man, or why God punishes Man, why God punished Job, etc.). 2) With five words, Shaw completely misses the entire point of Job, when she says, "I deserve to know why." Saying she deserves to know why is the same as playing God. Who gave her, or anyone for that matter, the right to know why God did what He did? This is the underlying message of Job, that mortals do not deserve to know divine answers. This is the key difference. Human existence may be just an experiment by God, but His reasoning is not for us to know.

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PM* What are some of the answers in the Book of Job?
- First, what God does is beyond human comprehension. (And Job accepts that.)

This is not contradicted by what David says in "Prometheus".
One idea which David presents (in his reply to Shaw) is that the Engineer's motivation is not worth knowing.
Shaw doesn't seem like the kind of person who would ever latch on to that idea.
Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PMOne reason for this is because David realizes that the motivations of the Engineers cannot be known (echoing this part of the Book of Job).
While this of course does echo Job, it doesn't make for good entertainment, or an original interpretation (as I said before).
Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PMAnother reason (which I discuss below) is that the motivation of the Engineers can be underwhelming which is consistent with another part of the Book of Job.

QuoteDavid: The answer is irrelevant. Does it matter why they changed their minds?
I'm going to skip a beat and bring in another David quote on a similar subject.

QuoteHolloway: What we hoped to achieve was to meet our makers. To get answers. Why they even made us in the first place.
David: Why do you think your people made me?
Holloway: We made you because we could.
David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?
I have a real problem with this line, which it seems that many viewers have a hard-on for, as it pretends to be smart. First of all, do I even need to address the question of how or why David knows what disappointment is? He's a computer, he follows programming. How does he know what "disappointment" is? His retort to Shaw indicates that he himself is disappointed or dissatisfied with the answer instead of taking it in as data. His response is making an ethical judgement on her information, that "because we could" is not a valuable enough reason. He could have equally reacted with gratitude. Or he could have accepted it neutrally, with neither acceptance nor dissatisfaction, because he's a frickin' robot who has no emotions.

Secondly, even if David did have emotions (which he doesn't, because he's a machine), it also assumes that humans would also react in disappointment, even though millenia of human history have proven that people make up their own raisons d'être. In fact, the film not only shows that there's nothing preventing Shaw from refusing this answer (since she is a Christian, after all), but actively tells us that she would create her own answer, in the form of one of the film's pivotal lines "It's what I choose to believe." On separate occasions, she has been shown that even if she's unhappy with information, she can just choose to believe whatever she wants (for instance, the fact that she's still a Christian even though by the movie's logic, she should by all accounts be an atheist).

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PMAnd this is consistent with the Book of Job.
I don't have a problem with the movie's "consistency" with the Book of Job, because I've read it before. I'd like to experience something new, different, and original, though.

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PM3. Looking at it as a whole, one final answer from the Book of Job is that God is a creator and God is also a destroyer.
God in the text points to the mysteries of existence and the universe.
And the reality of life and the universe, which God is pointing to, is that it involves creation and destruction.
They go hand in hand.

And this fits David's summary of the efforts of the Engineers.

QuoteDavid: Sometimes to create, one must first destroy.
This is another thing people point to. It's more in line with some religions than others, but there is no real point of it in Prometheus. Remember, at a certain point in the movie, they have to have yet another race against the clock to stop some big bad aliens from coming to Earth to destroy it (it was already old in Alien: Resurrection). The problem is we never get a reasoning for not only humanity's creation, but also its destruction. Maybe the creation was because it was an experiment, that's fine, but that's not reason enough for its destruction. You can't just pose these questions as facts and expect the viewer to just accept any old arbitrary answer. Because we're smarter than that. We know that it's to create movie tension. You can't just tell the viewer the intentions and expect them to go along with it because we know that there has to be some kind of dramatic tension to keep the plot moving, otherwise it's a boring movie. And it still is, because humanity's destruction doesn't mean much when the director just posed these existential questions and answered them by having a tall albino arbitrarily rip an android's head off in response.

Quote from: bb-15 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:17:49 PM4. Finally, I'll again point out; Films do not replace libraries of books about religion and philosophy.
Movies can only touch on religious / philosophical topics due to the nature of the medium.
But the brief references in a movie can be consistent with the more extensive exploration of ideas in a book.
That is the situation between the Book of Job and "Prometheus". The film is consistent with the book.

Imo at least. ;)
If a film cannot and will not answer, or at least offer an interesting, original interpretation of pivotal questions that, yes, border on the religious (religion is partly founded on answering these questions), then it should not bring them up in the first place. If it does, it certainly should not be rewarded or praised for simply asking the question "Why?" and then evading any answer. If it is going to be entertainment, then it must entertain. If it is going to pose serious questions and take itself seriously, it must be prepared to be compared to one of the big boys: religious and philosophical texts. Prometheus does neither: it takes itself seriously in an intellectual masturbation session until it has to actually contend with much more intelligent works, at which point people find any reason they can to excuse it from comparison. If it's not going to take itself seriously, then why should I? It should be treated it for what it is: a masturbatory space novella.

Lastly, nothing you said contradicted or rebutted what I said. I said that the Book of Job answered some of humanity's oldest and most fundamental existential questions in a much more interesting and elegant way. I will also say now that it does so in a much more believable way than in the scenario offered in Prometheus, regardless of one's beliefs in God. That Prometheus suggests similar possibilities for these answers as in Job shouldn't be a mark of excellence or even adequacy. What few answers it has, but more often than not its mere diversions to actual answers, are mediocre and sub-standard, which is why the movie will be remembered more as a failure to reach its potential than as any kind of accomplished film.

SM

David knows what disappointment is without actually feeling it.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Alien Covenant will make Prometheus better. Im a big fan of Prometheus, shortcomings aside, its one of the best looking films ever made imo. Love it or hate it, you can't deny its one of the most thought provoking and talked about movies in recent years for sure

Olde

Quote from: SM on Mar 28, 2017, 07:21:36 AM
David knows what disappointment is without actually feeling it.
How do you know? As I said, his response seems to indicate that he feels disappointment; he could have equally reacted with gratitude, wonder, amazement, confusion, anger, sorrow, joy, or pretty much any other emotion. But he highlights disappointment. Why? He's a machine.

SM

SM

QuoteHow do you know?

Because he says so and he's correct.  It would be disappointing for there to be some sort of creator who just made us because he could.

There was also the David ad where he says he understands human emotions even though he doesn't feel them himself.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Hemi on Mar 27, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
If you have to explain it afterwards to your viewers then your movie is flawed.

I agree this is true for some viewers. And for viewers who want a clearly understood main story, the Alien movies (without Prometheus") and the AVP films fit that description.
But personal taste can be different depending on the individual.

There is a kind of science fiction movie where the main story can have parts which are not clear.
Some people like these kinds of science-fiction films where a person will have questions after the first viewing.
"Prometheus" is that kind of film. And it is the first of this kind in the Alien franchise.

Examples of these kinds of more vague science-fiction films include; "2001", "Blade Runner" (both major influences on "Prometheus"), "Solaris", "Brazil", "12  Monkeys", "Matrix Reloaded", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Inception".

QuoteA normal person has not seen the comics/websites and probably never will...
It has to make sense with the first view. Why would anyone see a movie a second time because he didn't get it the first?

LOL! ;D
I'm not going to touch this "normal" label.
- I'll just say this. A lot of people on this website are huge fans of the Alien franchise. And that includes me.
I have listened to all the commentaries for the Alien movies, I've checked out Blu-ray extras for all the Alien films, i've read interviews by the filmmakers of the Alien movies. I've checked out the artwork and production designs for the Alien films.

* And I know that many people on this website are much bigger fans of the Alien movies than I am.
I know that some people here know much more than I do about these movies.
- People who are huge fans of SF films usually ask questions about the story/characters. They explore the world of the SF franchise.

Same is true for me with "2001", "Blade Runner", the Matrix franchise, Star Wars and Star Trek.

QuoteThat is why most view the movies as "canon".

I'll clarify my previous comment and include canon.
1. The Alien films are canon. (That includes special editions.)
2. The extended universe (film maker's comments, studio websites and comics) can be canon if specific information about the films is given and is accepted as canon by the studio/filmmaker.
- For instance L-223 orbits the same planet as LV-426. That's canon even though it's not in any of the films.
Some EU stuff is not canon. It depends.
3. Filmmakers can also give their explanations about their movie's story in commentaries, interviews, Blu-ray extras. This is not fan fiction. These are filmmaker explanations. Kubrick, Clarke, Ridley Scott, Cameron and so on have done this.
4. Separated from all of that are viewer reactions to movies which may or may not lead to fan fiction.
5. Fan fiction are speculations by viewers about movies which are not supported by the film, the EU and the filmmakers.
An example is the claim that a film was all a dream when there is no clear evidence for that in the film, the EU or by the filmmakers.

QuoteI think you are "white knighting" Prometheus a bit too much. But if you personally enjoy it more after these "explanations" then power to you. I rather forget it...

It's all personal taste. Some people think that "Alien 3" is the best Alien movie. Some viewers didn't like it.
No one is right or wrong about their personal taste. 

QuoteImo at least :P

Same here.
Imo at least. ;)

PS. I'm enjoying this thread. I expect more comments to follow and so I plan to post more replies. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed