Conan Stevens Perfect for a PREDATOR role?

Started by Meathead320, May 10, 2007, 07:31:30 PM

Author
Conan Stevens Perfect for a PREDATOR role? (Read 7,849 times)

Kimarhi

Ben Wallace looks like a pred without the suit on.

But they'd have to go ultra thin as he's another ripped tall guy.  He's short by predator standards (Only 6'9") but placing him next to regular actors you wouldn't be able to tell, since the suit gives you one or two inches anyways.

Goro

Ben Wallace is 3" shorter, and only 250 pounds. Then you got a guy who is 7 feet tall, quarter in over, and over 320 lbs all grade A muscle, that sounds more Pred like.
        The Conan guy has done >20 Pro film shoots. Yeah some were small parts, but he has more acting experence than Wallace.
         If you want a few different Preds in the movie, so they can interact and they dont need to recycle the same actors, then wallace is not a bad choice for one of them, but if it came dound to it the Conan guy looks like he has the goods to be a decent Pred. He would look more realistic as a predator too, not like a powerranger reject in AVP.

Kimarhi

Ben Wallace has the athleticism to capture the moves.  Like Ian Whyte and Kevin Peter Hall he comes from a basketball background.

I wasn't thinking about making him the lead really, but more of a "shorty (from the comics)" type of character.  With the sandals and the suit he'd be about 6'11" though so he'd look tall to any of the other cast.

I think Wallace would be able to convey the Athleticism that Ian Whyte can't and has been missing since Kevin Peter Hall last donned the P2 suit. 

BW isn't a sissy either, he's got over a 460 lb bench press and used to box. 

Of course, I'm not saying he should be favorite over Ian or this other guy, just that his movements have always reminded me of a predator.  Slow and steady and then an explosion of movement, and then back to slow and steady again.

You could slap a minigun in his hands and make him an oversized trooper though.

Meathead320

There are other tall actors who are jacked looking that can move. Nathan Jones from Jet lee's Fearless (giant bald guy), is 6'10" and 340 pounds and ripped, he could easily pass for a Pred too.

Conan Stevens is built like Jones too, and he has more acting skill too with over 22 Pro film shoots. And experience as a costumed creature too.

Kimarhi

Yeah, the dude from Fearless once held the strongest man in the world title.  He can bench like 700 something raw (that means without gloves, belts, shirts).

Pretty impressive.  All that other stuff serves to raise your internal pressure and makes you able to lift more.  Also impressive because generally the bigger you are, the harder it is to put on muscle because you have a huge range of motion to go through.

That said I think Jones and perhaps BW could be used to show how tough the pred is.  Our biggest and baddest don't match up physically with the likes of the pred.  Could replace Arnie and Jesse as our biguns in P3.

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 25, 2007, 04:09:47 PM
Yeah, the dude from Fearless once held the strongest man in the world title.  He can bench like 700 something raw (that means without gloves, belts, shirts).

Pretty impressive.  All that other stuff serves to raise your internal pressure and makes you able to lift more.  Also impressive because generally the bigger you are, the harder it is to put on muscle because you have a huge range of motion to go through.

That said I think Jones and perhaps BW could be used to show how tough the pred is.  Our biggest and baddest don't match up physically with the likes of the pred.  Could replace Arnie and Jesse as our biguns in P3.

I just wanted to comment that the "strongest man in the world", and "worlds strongest man" are two different titles, but the contestants do overlap. I don't know if the SMW is still going on, but the WSM is still done regularly one ESP. Nathan never won the WSM, only the SMW.

Other than that, I would Prefer is Conan, Jones, or BW were cast in a Pred movie, they would BE the/a Pred.

My vote still goes for Conan (if I can only pick one) as he is the tallest of the 3, only .75" shorter than Ian, and about as muscular as Jones is.

I would not like to see a guy over 6'8" playing the hero, as I like to see the Pred Tower over its victims.

That and for humans it does not make much sense to be gigantic in a firefight. It just makes you a bigger target. So if there are some heavily muscular dude (so not muscle needs to be added to the costume) who is tall enough to be a Pred, and has the skill to do it (and that is a short list), I prefer they are a Pred.

Human heroes should be capped at about 6'6" tops in a pred movie. Keep in mind only like .1% of the human population is over 6'6".

Dachande

Dalip Singh should be the next Predator. If nobody knows who he is he was the huge indian guy in the Longest Yard, and is the strongest man from India, is part of the Indian Police Force, and also wrestles in the WWE under the name the Great Khali.

Now before people go and say, 'No Wrestlers as Preds, thats stupid!' i think i shouldremind you that Nathan Jones is also a wrestler. Singh, is also quite agile, as he pulled off a roundhouse kick at a recent WWE show

He's also killed a man...

Kimarhi

Quote from: Meathead320 on May 25, 2007, 08:44:22 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on May 25, 2007, 04:09:47 PM

I just wanted to comment that the "strongest man in the world", and "worlds strongest man" are two different titles, but the contestants do overlap. I don't know if the SMW is still going on, but the WSM is still done regularly one ESP. Nathan never won the WSM, only the SMW.

Other than that, I would Prefer is Conan, Jones, or BW were cast in a Pred movie, they would BE the/a Pred.

My vote still goes for Conan (if I can only pick one) as he is the tallest of the 3, only .75" shorter than Ian, and about as muscular as Jones is.

I would not like to see a guy over 6'8" playing the hero, as I like to see the Pred Tower over its victims.

That and for humans it does not make much sense to be gigantic in a firefight. It just makes you a bigger target. So if there are some heavily muscular dude (so not muscle needs to be added to the costume) who is tall enough to be a Pred, and has the skill to do it (and that is a short list), I prefer they are a Pred.

Human heroes should be capped at about 6'6" tops in a pred movie. Keep in mind only like .1% of the human population is over 6'6".

All fair points, but there are camera tricks to make the creatures appear taller than they are.  The suit and the sandals also give you a couple of inches.  KPH was 7'2" without the suit, and close to 7'5" with it on.  Ian Whyte also gets a height boost.  When Ian Whyte couldn't play a pred, the stunt guys in the background were something like 6'6".  Its the cameras that make them look taller.

As for big soldiers, humans overall height increases year after year, if P3 was in the future the cast would probably be bigger.  Of course audiences WANT to see average relatable size people, so this is a fact that many people overlook in movies set in the future. 

Hyperion brings it up in the novel, where several characters including females are over the standard heights they are now.  As does google.

I'd always thought the next logical progression would to have one set in the future, since P2 already did that to a lesser extent (filmed in 92, set in 97).  If it isn't, then I probably wouldn't want the humans running around at 6'9" either.

Dalip Singh is a big dude. 

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: Dachande2311 on May 25, 2007, 09:00:39 PM
Dalip Singh should be the next Predator. If nobody knows who he is he was the huge indian guy in the Longest Yard, and is the strongest man from India, is part of the Indian Police Force, and also wrestles in the WWE under the name the Great Khali.

Now before people go and say, 'No Wrestlers as Preds, thats stupid!' i think i shouldremind you that Nathan Jones is also a wrestler. Singh, is also quite agile, as he pulled off a roundhouse kick at a recent WWE show

He's also killed a man...

He is big, sure, but the guy seems very immobile. He may have managed one round house kick, but he still looks really awkward moving around.

I would rather have a guy who has a lot of skills, ranging from Thai Kickboxing, to being trained and skilled in medieval weapons.

We do not need the biggest guy on earth, and Dalip is a little bigger than Conan, but Dalip also looks like he is practically immobile for a Pro Wrestler. Having done one roundhouse kick is pretty short compared to Conan's Resume. http://www.conanstevens.com/biography.html (it takes a couple minutes to load, he's in Thailand)

That and Dalip has relatively skinny legs, love-handles, and is "duck-footed" too. He is not in the kind of shape he used to be in either. The biggest problem is that he has a very large head, due to being a Pituitary Giant (achromegaly before pueberty), and that leaves very little room for an animatronic mask.

Steven's in contrast is not a pituitary giant, and has a compartively small head. The normal growth curve for a 7ft guy, without a pituitary tumor. His head is small enough to put the Pred-face on, and NOT look like he is a bobble head.

The guy Dalip killed was an accident when he threw him wrong with a powerbomb during wrestling school.

That being said, I could live with Dalip being the Predator, I just think some one like Conan is a far more athletic choice.

I do not have a problem with a guy who has Pro Wrestled (and Conan Stevens has in the past too) being the Predator, as long as they are not going to be using a lot of Pro Wrestling moves.

The fact is that if you want to find a guy who is around 7ft, and built like a Predator, and who is modible, then the only place you are likely to find them is in Pro Wrestling.

I know the a lot of folks here a not wrestling fans, but it is not like we are going to ask the 7ft dude to be saying his own lines. His job is to wear the mask, makeup, armor, and provide the correct physical acting needed. Not deliver believable lines and facial expressions.

Dachande

It all depends on how the Pred is going to act, and how many there are, of course you'll have the Preds, that are agile and all the stuff, but if people want to take a different appraoch, and instead just have one it isnt so agile, but i just a powerhouse, that doesnt need to move quickly.

And i know the guy he killed was an accident, it wasnt Dalips fault either, the guy had already had a serious concussion, and when he went to take a move, he held on to Singh, instead of pushing off, and thus landed on his head.

Meathead320

Quote from: Dachande2311 on May 26, 2007, 01:19:37 AM
It all depends on how the Pred is going to act, and how many there are, of course you'll have the Preds, that are agile and all the stuff, but if people want to take a different appraoch, and instead just have one it isnt so agile, but i just a powerhouse, that doesnt need to move quickly.

And i know the guy he killed was an accident, it wasnt Dalips fault either, the guy had already had a serious concussion, and when he went to take a move, he held on to Singh, instead of pushing off, and thus landed on his head.

Ohh, I thought it was Singhs fault.

Hmm, note to self; "don't hang on to giant mutherf***er when he throws me."

If they went with a multi-pred aproach, they could use Dalip as the "big guy" version of a Pred.

Still, if it was a solo-Pred movie, or only two, I would Prefer Stevens as he is far more athletic and agile, and has a smaller head.

Dachande

Yea, this is a move here, well a variation of if: http://www.wrestlingencyclopedia.com/Moves4/flapjack.wmv

Im not sure it thats the same method, but i think its quite clear that if hte vicimt had held on, they would land on their head

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed