Predator is showing its age

Started by gameoverman, Apr 04, 2007, 07:27:30 AM

Author
Predator is showing its age (Read 3,066 times)

gameoverman

gameoverman

I'm watching Predator right now - and the film looks so grainy, especially in the beginning, especially when I resize it to fit my 19" inch LCD monitor.  Ok, I know this movie is 20 years old, but compared to Alien (1979) it looks nowhere near as good. 

The film needs a cleanup - a digital remaster in my opinion.

SiL

SiL

Yeah, the grain is terrible. I noticed the same thing on Aliens, too.

War Wager

War Wager

You'd think they would have sorted that out when they released them on DVD...

Gangster Predator

yeah I noticed that too. Not only in the predator but in other movies also.

SM

SM

Dunno about Predator but I think they've upgraded Aliens about as far as it can be upgraded.

Maybe with advances in technology they'll be able to do more with it in future.  Mind you, the graininess does suit Aliens because it's a dark flick in terms of tone and colours (apart from some of the opening Gateway stuff).  Predator is a lot more green with it's setting so the grain may not suit it so much.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Cameron said on the commentary that it was because of the film stock they were using.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Taking the grain out of Aliens would be like taking the grain out of 28 days later wouldn't it?

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 10, 2007, 01:11:56 AM
Taking the grain out of Aliens would be like taking the grain out of 28 days later wouldn't it?

28 Days Later didn't have grain... but I still see the point. 

I don't mind Aliens so much because there is hardly any film artefacts (dust, deteriotation, etc) in it.  It's been cleaned up pretty well. 

Predator however still shows a lot of grain (it's the grainest out of all of them).

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

They shot 28 Days Later on (whatever news reel footage) is called.  It definately has a grainy look.

gameoverman

gameoverman

I guess it depends on what format they film it on, as that would be the director's intention.  But when it shows dust, hairs, black spots and deteriotation that is because of lack of care.  They just probably left it in the film vault.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Okay, we were talking about different things.

They filmed 28 days later on digital camera.  It has an unfocused, pixelated look like Aliens does (because back in the day, digital filming techniques were used alot more).  This is what I thought you were talking about.

Not the spots and all that jazz.  My mistake.

SiL

SiL

28 Days has the looks cos it was shot on digital. Aliens has the look cos the stock was crap.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 11, 2007, 01:27:47 AM
Okay, we were talking about different things.

They filmed 28 days later on digital camera.  It has an unfocused, pixelated look like Aliens does (because back in the day, digital filming techniques were used alot more).  This is what I thought you were talking about.

Not the spots and all that jazz.  My mistake.

Watch the beginning of Predator, that's what I mean.

stickaround

stickaround

Doesn't take anything away from it being a classic and the dvd is a hell of alot better than the vhs p&s version !!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed