Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,991 times)

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 20, 2013, 03:15:25 AM
You're going to introduce a young fan by using the worst film possible?

Sure.

That way it gets better from there if you want to get technical.

And how fans can choose Requiem over AVP I'll never know.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: GET TO THE CHOPPA! on Feb 20, 2013, 03:19:41 AM

And how fans can choose Requiem over AVP I'll never know.

Me neither. How can someone pick a generic, small town monster flick with teen drama and a monster in Bob Marley hair over a comic bookybut "fun" popcorn flick but with great designs, scope and actual buildup, puzzles me as well

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Speaking for myself, I chose the movie that actually stuff going on it rather than random scenes of people running down various dark corridors.

magical_boy

magical_boy

AvP is the better film, AvP-R is the more entertaining (in a "mindless popcorn fun" way)

SM

SM

Meaning if you lack a mind - you'll dig it?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

In my opinion, AVP is the better film and more entertaining.

Helps that it respected both creatures and told an interesting story that (at the time) sat well within the 'canon' of both the Alien and Predator series.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

I'm still standing by my original statement of,

"It's like picking your favourite STD"

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Feb 20, 2013, 11:38:57 PM
"It's like picking your favourite STD"

AVP isn't that bad...its quite enjoyable, actually. A decent film with its heart in the right place, some cool homages to what came before it, and an interesting enough story to hold up on its own and incorporate both creatures in a way that makes sense.

SM

SM

Hang on - you're talking about AvP right?

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

AvP is terrible on so many levels,

Poor script,
Forgettable characters
SET ON EARTH IN PRESENT DAY
No Marines
Bad Creature design
Terrible action sequences

I could go on but....

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Feb 21, 2013, 12:27:28 AM
Hang on - you're talking about AvP right?

Yeah. Certainly not AVPR, if that's what you're asking.

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Feb 21, 2013, 12:39:40 AM
Poor script,
Forgettable characters
Bad Creature design
Terrible action sequences

That's your opinion, so I can't argue there.

SET ON EARTH IN PRESENT DAY

They made it feel natural within the established A/P universe. Its not like the creatures were running around in a city during the present day when they really shouldn't be discovered for another 100 years or so.

No Marines

I've seen plenty of good films that didn't have marines. Heck, most of the A/P films didn't even have marines in them!

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

AvP is terrible on so many levels,

It is, but on many its not

QuotePoor script,

But firm idea. Great setting, great designs, great basic idea of finding an ancient building in a remote place and being trapped there, and good amount of ideas from the original AVP comic. AND it actually has quite a buildup, sense of big scope and isolation and claustrophobia and some nice shots. I  like the opening imagery of the Queens silhouette. Some ship shots are great too

QuoteForgettable characters

Most of them yeah. But they were just meat for aliens, like prisoners in A3. The goofy guy and Weyland were pretty well defined

QuoteSET ON EARTH IN PRESENT DAY

Almost in words only It can as well be distant planet. Its the same principle as The Thing. Antarctica is such a remote and hostile place, its basically like a different planet far away from any help or world

QuoteNo Marines

I dont see it as being a problem. Marines? Weve been there, done that

QuoteBad Creature design

Thats true. Its the same god awful, cockroachy, Pumpkinhead-like, fleshy, terrible, idiotic design that the one from A:R. But I give Anderson credit for at least shooting them well. Example of similar shots of the same creature from A:R and AVP

At least he went back to the approach of the first 3 movies and shot them in quick cuts or hidden in the darkness. And at least he went back to screeching as oppose to that generic growl from A:R.

QuoteTerrible action sequences
True

magical_boy

magical_boy

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2013, 10:25:24 AM
Meaning if you lack a mind - you'll dig it?
More like you might enjoy it if you switch off your higher reasoning faculties and view it as a lightweight B-movie (unintentionally funny at times). I also find that AvPR is slightly more rewatchable than AvP. This is relative though because objectively, neither has much rewatch value

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

AVP has rewatch value, in my opinion. I'm actually kind of in the mood to see it again (its probably been a year and a half or so since I've watched it). Its not the greatest movie in the world and it falls short of most of the standalone A/P films but it is very rewatchable.

OpenMaw

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed