Pietro Scalia Talks Editing Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 28, 2017, 09:42:47 PM

Author
Pietro Scalia Talks Editing Alien: Covenant (Read 31,364 times)

SM

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 06:44:49 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 06:32:05 AM
If you look at the bigger Fox films from the last few years - Logan, the X-Men movies (Apocalypse and Days..), Bridge of Spies, The Martian, The Revenant.  They're all over 2 hours.

QuoteI don't have to proof nothing to you

Perhaps refrain from acting as if you know something, when you don't?

QuoteDid you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

I thought that was a given for Tom Cruise - he produces his movies and is a box office draw.

Truth is none of us know the inner details and legal matters of the film industry.  So same can be said of your comments. You don't know either. :)

The minor difference is, I didn't claim to know.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 06:58:38 AM
If you look at the bigger Fox films from the last few years - Logan, the X-Men movies (Apocalypse and Days..), Bridge of Spies, The Martian, The Revenant.  They're all over 2 hours.

QuoteDid you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

I thought that was a given for Tom Cruise - he produces his movies and is a box office draw.

Truth is none of us know the inner details and legal matters of the film industry.  So same can be said of your comments. You don't know either. :)

Take it with a grain of salt then.  I didn't claim to know either. The making of documentary it was heavily implied they had to be under a certain time. They Referenced that 3 times. There's no doubt in my mind because hey it's Fox, they've screw up a lot of their films. Happens a lot. Covenants problems are not the editor. The bold is the point of my initial post. Not hey I know facts thats You guys don't for sure'z. Jesus Christ get over it and move on please. At this point there really is nothing more for me to say.

markweatherill

The real question which was not asked is 'Are you happy with the way it turned out?'

And I'd like to know how a film editor approaches 'regional' cuts of the movie, which I guess is 'damage control'; you've made the final cut of a movie and now you've got to make arbitrary excisions more or less invisibly.

SM

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 07:11:08 AM

Take it with a grain of salt then.  I didn't claim to know either. The making of documentary it was heavily implied they had to be under a certain time. They Referenced that 3 times. There's no doubt in my mind because hey it's Fox, they've screw up a lot of their films. Happens a lot. Covenants problems are not the editor. The bold is the point of my initial post. Not hey I know facts thats You guys don't for sure'z. Jesus Christ get over it and move on please. At this point there really is nothing more for me to say.

No need to get stroppy just 'cos people ask questions.  I thought you might have read something somewhere that was legitimate.

bleau

Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 07:17:51 AM
Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 07:11:08 AM

No need to get stroppy just 'cos people ask questions.  I thought you might have read something somewhere that was legitimate.

Oh sorry, Understandable.

Great. But will there be an extended cut? A director's cut?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DorkiDori on Jun 29, 2017, 12:03:03 AM
REALLY!?!?!?! SO WE CAN BLAME THE EDITOR FOR THE CRAP JOB IN NOT EXPLAINING ANYTHING ABOUT SHAW AND DAVIDS STORY!?!?!?!

Quote from: Dumb Ass EditorRidley and the writers wanted to incorporate the destruction of the Engineers' world as a prologue to bridge the two films and to show what happened to Shaw after she and David when traveling to the Creators/Engineers' world. There were a lot more scenes that connect directly to Prometheus but structurally it didn't work to have two or three scenes or about 12 mins. of film that connect one film to the next. And then start the actual story of AC.

Funny, wouldve worked FINE in my eyes! I wanna slap the shit out of this guy... Knowing idiots like him were involved in the making of this film makes me hate it even more! And honestly, the blame lands SQUARELY on Ridleys shoulders! He was in charge of this film, he made the decisions about the final cut and it was HIS job to oversee the finishing of the movie! Yet, here we are with one of the WORST Alien films in the franchise!

Can we conduct ourselves with a little more decorum please, everyone?

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 06:21:17 AM
Get of your soap box, I don't have to proof nothing to you, in fact nobody does. People have to have proof  of something for you to believe or consider something, that is ridiculous. Take it as a suggestion then.

Did you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

Actually, yes, it's good to share proof, especially when you're really pushing it as fact and it's in question. It's common curtsy. I don't think anyone is expecting you to provide actual contracts or clauses, but where you saw/read that that is the case would be very much appreciated.

It's not unreasonable to think that Fox and Ridley and etc want the film at 2 hours. I'm sure they did speak about this in the past. I believe Ridley spoke about it recently with Covenant. But that's it's some contractually obliged thing is what's in question here.

All people would like to see is where you saw this?  Otherwise (and especially given your current attitude) you just come across as a randomer on the internet sprouting "information" that is in question that he can't back-up.

In regards to the actual topic, I was hoping they'd ask him about some deleted scenes. Gotta keep waiting for that Blu-ray.

DorkiDori

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 29, 2017, 07:30:03 AMCan we conduct ourselves with a little more decorum please, Dorki?

kay... how bout, the editor under Scotts direction did a terrible job in omitting key plot elements that should have been left in the film. he deserves a slap on the wrist (and possibly boot in the rear) for ever thinking cutting out something so crucial to the storyline was ever a good idea! due to the Shaw and David elements being cut from the film, it really added the most to the bitter taste in my mouth that Alien Covenant left me with as I left the theaters feeling angry and utterly betrayed hoping for 5 years we would get the same deep and profound presentation we were given with Prometheus.

It seems as more and more comes out about Alien Covenant, it gets more and more disappointing... almost to the point where the film is more of a blunder than the rocky road (to Dublin 1 2 3 4 5) Alien 3 traveled down during its development hell. The only saving grace to this film was amount of amazing artwork that came out of it from so many talented creature designers.

Corporal Hicks

XENOMORPHOSIS

I could be mistaken but having listened to Snowtown I have a feeling this is the tracks she was referring to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juxfcl6jIRo&list=PL7D51CF38E6F2BC37&index=6

bleau

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 29, 2017, 07:30:03 AM
Quote from: DorkiDori on Jun 29, 2017, 12:03:03 AM
REALLY!?!?!?! SO WE CAN BLAME THE EDITOR FOR THE CRAP JOB IN NOT EXPLAINING ANYTHING ABOUT SHAW AND DAVIDS STORY!?!?!?!

Quote from: Dumb Ass EditorRidley and the writers wanted to incorporate the destruction of the Engineers' world as a prologue to bridge the two films and to show what happened to Shaw after she and David when traveling to the Creators/Engineers' world. There were a lot more scenes that connect directly to Prometheus but structurally it didn't work to have two or three scenes or about 12 mins. of film that connect one film to the next. And then start the actual story of AC.

Funny, wouldve worked FINE in my eyes! I wanna slap the shit out of this guy... Knowing idiots like him were involved in the making of this film makes me hate it even more! And honestly, the blame lands SQUARELY on Ridleys shoulders! He was in charge of this film, he made the decisions about the final cut and it was HIS job to oversee the finishing of the movie! Yet, here we are with one of the WORST Alien films in the franchise!

Can we conduct ourselves with a little more decorum please, everyone?

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 06:21:17 AM
Get of your soap box, I don't have to proof nothing to you, in fact nobody does. People have to have proof  of something for you to believe or consider something, that is ridiculous. Take it as a suggestion then.

Did you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

Actually, yes, it's good to share proof, especially when you're really pushing it as fact and it's in question. It's common curtsy. I don't think anyone is expecting you to provide actual contracts or clauses, but where you saw/read that that is the case would be very much appreciated.

It's not unreasonable to think that Fox and Ridley and etc want the film at 2 hours. I'm sure they did speak about this in the past. I believe Ridley spoke about it recently with Covenant. But that's it's some contractually obliged thing is what's in question here.

All people would like to see is where you saw this?  Otherwise (and especially given your current attitude) you just come across as a randomer on the internet sprouting "information" that is in question that he can't back-up.

In regards to the actual topic, I was hoping they'd ask him about some deleted scenes. Gotta keep waiting for that Blu-ray.

Vary real possibility, as I've been saying.
Spoiler
Spoiler
It's what I choose to believe.
[close]
[close]

Corporal Hicks

That's fine. In future just make sure you present it as your own believes, not fact.  :)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Found another track, sounds almost the exact same albeit minor differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUa50Ka8wo&index=13&list=PL7D51CF38E6F2BC37

SM

Quote from: DorkiDori on Jun 29, 2017, 07:59:01 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 29, 2017, 07:30:03 AMCan we conduct ourselves with a little more decorum please, Dorki?

kay... how bout, the editor under Scotts direction did a terrible job in omitting key plot elements that should have been left in the film. he deserves a slap on the wrist (and possibly boot in the rear) for ever thinking cutting out something so crucial to the storyline was ever a good idea! due to the Shaw and David elements being cut from the film, it really added the most to the bitter taste in my mouth that Alien Covenant left me with as I left the theaters feeling angry and utterly betrayed hoping for 5 years we would get the same deep and profound presentation we were given with Prometheus.

It seems as more and more comes out about Alien Covenant, it gets more and more disappointing... almost to the point where the film is more of a blunder than the rocky road (to Dublin 1 2 3 4 5) Alien 3 traveled down during its development hell. The only saving grace to this film was amount of amazing artwork that came out of it from so many talented creature designers.

What key plot elements?

Hemi

Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 08:40:40 AM
Quote from: DorkiDori on Jun 29, 2017, 07:59:01 AM

What key plot elements?

The many shots of Shaw, preferably in her undies or naked, trying to catch David as made the only towel on the ship wet again.

-_-

The adoration for this character is beyond me. She was annoying in Prometheus and deserved the offscreen death. (search "offscreen death" in google...funny what you find in images haha. )

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed