Pietro Scalia Talks Editing Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 28, 2017, 09:42:47 PM

Author
Pietro Scalia Talks Editing Alien: Covenant (Read 31,367 times)

FallenDarkAngel

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 05:31:31 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 29, 2017, 05:25:23 AM
Jesus H.

Prometheus and Covenant were 124 and 123 respectively.

UNDER 2 HOURS PER FOX'S CONTRACTUAL ORDER! You legit made that up.

Sure I did.
under 2 hours without credits. Are we going to debate about 3 and 4 minutes per film.??? Cheers then.
The actual movie (not including opening and ending credits) ran for 114 minutes.
If the actual movie was only allowed to run for 2 hours max without credits then maybe they could just use the remaining 6 minutes to add a brief important scene from the original prologue.

SM

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 05:53:08 AM
I believe it was on the blu ray, And I can't quote exactly, but I remember the editor mention about having to have it under 2 hours length. They went threw a couple of times and trimmed stuff and cut stuff  and then they took out a lot more to get it in the run time. They really stressed that 2 hour run time. Am I going to find such contract or clause to scan and show you guys, not by a long shot.

This is actually common practice in editing, and most big budget movies do have a runtime the studio puts forth.

Well if you can actually find anything that backs your assertion up - don't keep it to yourself.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: FallenDarkAngel on Jun 29, 2017, 06:01:12 AM
Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 05:31:31 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 29, 2017, 05:25:23 AM
Jesus H.

Prometheus and Covenant were 124 and 123 respectively.

UNDER 2 HOURS PER FOX'S CONTRACTUAL ORDER! You legit made that up.

Sure I did.
under 2 hours without credits. Are we going to debate about 3 and 4 minutes per film.??? Cheers then.
The actual movie (not including opening and ending credits) ran for 114 minutes.
If the actual movie was only allowed to run for 2 hours max without credits then maybe they could just use the remaining 6 minutes to add a brief important scene from the original prologue.

Well, the projector doesn't stop the movie once the credits begin. Those minutes still count.

bleau

I think because it's a franchise and could be rating, the rating shouldn't have a bearing but that could be a possibly, but they/Fox had a pg version that was same length I think. It was just pg without some blood in the medpod scene, My guess is seats, more seats.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 06:04:45 AM
I believe it was on the blu ray, And I can't quote exactly, but I remember the editor mention about having to have it under 2 hours length. They went threw a couple of times and trimmed stuff and cut stuff  and then they took out a lot more to get it in the run time. They really stressed that 2 hour run time. Am I going to find such contract or clause to scan and show you guys, not by a long shot.

This is actually common practice in editing, and most big budget movies do have a runtime the studio puts forth.

Well if you can actually find anything that backs your assertion up - don't keep it to yourself.

Yeah, to quote Weyland, "please".

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 06:08:18 AM
I think because it's a franchise and could be rating, the rating shouldn't have a bearing but that could be a possibly, but they/Fox had a pg version that was same length I think. It was just pg without some blood in the medpod scene, My guess is seats, more seats.

Proof please, no conjecture.

I don't think the "cut down the runtime for more showings in a day" is a thing anymore.

newagescamartist

And it's not like Alien has ever been the type of franchise that packs sold out showings all across the nation. Alien films aren't "event" films like Marvel superheroes or Star Wars so run time doesn't matter. Hell, the new Transformers movies was long as all hell and the studio confidently felt it was going to be a hit. I think the run time stuff is nonsense personally.

bleau

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 29, 2017, 06:08:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 06:04:45 AM

Yeah, to quote Weyland, "please".

Quote from: bleau on Jun 29, 2017, 06:08:18 AM

Proof please, no conjecture.

I don't think the "cut down the runtime for more showings in a day" is a thing anymore.

Get of your soap box, I don't have to proof nothing to you, in fact nobody does. People have to have proof  of something for you to believe or consider something, that is ridiculous. Take it as a suggestion then.

Did you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

BishopShouldGo

bleau

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 29, 2017, 06:15:05 AM
And it's not like Alien has ever been the type of franchise that packs sold out showings all across the nation. Alien films aren't "event" films like Marvel superheroes or Star Wars so run time doesn't matter. Hell, the new Transformers movies was long as all hell and the studio confidently felt it was going to be a hit. I think the run time stuff is nonsense personally.

Thats what they wanted with this franchise. That's what Universal wants with their classic monsters and their dark universe. That's what Fox wants or wanted with Da Predator.

FallenDarkAngel

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 29, 2017, 06:15:05 AM

I agree. I think 160 minutes would be ideal for the next prequel film. The quality of the film degrades when they always just do a 120 minute film, and cut the important and interesting parts of the movie.

palerider

20 minutes were cut off from AC...............I surely hope they will tuck these 20 minutes back in to the DVD.

SM

If you look at the bigger Fox films from the last few years - Logan, the X-Men movies (Apocalypse and Days..), Bridge of Spies, The Martian, The Revenant.  They're all over 2 hours.

QuoteI don't have to proof nothing to you

Perhaps refrain from acting as if you know something, when you don't?

QuoteDid you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

I thought that was a given for Tom Cruise - he produces his movies and is a box office draw.

juxtapose

i get the impression that most of what was cut from covenant did not involve the last 20 minutes. .apart from the shower scene. .wich will amount to a few seconds. .

bleau

Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2017, 06:32:05 AM
If you look at the bigger Fox films from the last few years - Logan, the X-Men movies (Apocalypse and Days..), Bridge of Spies, The Martian, The Revenant.  They're all over 2 hours.

QuoteI don't have to proof nothing to you

Perhaps refrain from acting as if you know something, when you don't?

QuoteDid you know Tom Cruise has creative control, editing control, director control and all of the above in his films. Including the New Mummy. These contracts are real and the public will never see them.

I thought that was a given for Tom Cruise - he produces his movies and is a box office draw.

Truth is none of us know the inner details and legal matters of the film industry.  So same can be said of your comments. You don't know either. :)

Protozoid

Quote from: palerider on Jun 29, 2017, 06:30:50 AM
20 minutes were cut off from AC...............I surely hope they will tuck these 20 minutes back in to the DVD.
Scalia said the first cut was 2:20-2:25. The final version is 114 without credits. That's more like 25-30 minutes missing.

I found the third act of Covenant boring, and not because of pacing. The story just wasn't interesting after they left the planet. It's just a bug hunt scene recycling from prior Alien films the way The Force Awakens recycled prior Star Wars films. Scalia is only interested in David, seemingly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed