Mortal Kombat

Started by scarhunter92, Jun 08, 2010, 07:40:35 PM

Author
Mortal Kombat (Read 108,988 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I preferred the tone of the prologue.  Hiroyuki Sanada elevated the material to the point that I thought it might actually be played straight.

SM

SM

So the rest of the flick isn't like that?  The opening looked decent - and not just 'decent for a video game movie'.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's as if halfway through Shane Black took over as director.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Shane Black is a good director, when he has good material to work from.

razeak

razeak

A film that is like an interpretation of ADD. it's a wonderful mess, but like local said, the tone of the first 10 would have been preferable.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 23, 2021, 11:43:08 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 23, 2021, 10:44:31 PM
Christ, that was horrible experience. I lost nearly two hours of my life. Irredeemable.

As if Shang Tsung sucked out your soul?

I wish he did. At least I would be dead. Now I have to live with this experience till rest of my life. First Mortal Kombat is 26 years old and it's miles away better than this one. But I must say that cast is decent. Everything else is utterly horrible.

I need detox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dz0YU0jJr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRmNVzYe20

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 24, 2021, 02:47:06 AM

But the material he worked from was his, he co-wrote it...

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Maybe because I went in with no expectations but I really enjoyed it. Loved Kano and the fights were pretty decent.

They did try to squeeze in quite a few things which made it jumbled at times and some of the actors were questionable at their performances.....but I thought it still overcame its hiccups. I'd say it's worth a watch.

ace3g

ace3g

I would have preferred more of a tournament environment and something we don't see in the MK movies are rounds between fights.  Not all fights have to go past Round 1 but it would be cool to see some cornering, strategy discussed.

Also as mentioned before but wasn't a big fan of the actor playing Shang Tsung.  His presence on screen wasn't threatening to me.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: ace3g on Apr 24, 2021, 03:35:19 PM
I would have preferred more of a tournament environment and something we don't see in the MK movies are rounds between fights.  Not all fights have to go past Round 1 but it would be cool to see some cornering, strategy discussed.

Also as mentioned before but wasn't a big fan of the actor playing Shang Tsung.  His presence on screen wasn't threatening to me.

Agreed. It wasn't until about halfway through that I realized there wasn't going to be the actual tournament and although I was a little bummed, I did like the overall approach as to why.

A time wise, I had issues with Lui Kang and Shang Tsung as well...but I can actually say I hope they do another and maybe improve on them.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 24, 2021, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 24, 2021, 02:47:06 AM

But the material he worked from was his, he co-wrote it...
That's my point, he didn't have good material to work from so the end result was mediocre.

He can also be a good writer (Lethal Weapon, the Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, The Nice Guys) so I don't know what happened with The Predator aside from studio meddling I guess?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

To be fair I think Fred Dekker also has a fair amount of responsibility in this.

Anyways !

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I liked it, but a CGI stunt double would have been a better actor than Lewis Tan. And the whole chosen one thing is super weak, but at least they fixed most of the other major problems with the scripts.

ace3g

ace3g

Also Jax is lucky
Spoiler
Spoiler
His arcana was metal arms...

Also Sonya quickly develops here arcana just in time to save Cole
[close]
[close]

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Didn't feel too strongly either way seeing the new movie, I just did it for the experience because my hyped brother didn't want to watch it alone and I didn't want to be mean.

I don't even play the games or anything so it's not like I had any stakes or expectations.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed