[Spoilers] So about that last level

Started by Nightlord, Jun 28, 2023, 08:32:09 PM

Author
[Spoilers] So about that last level (Read 5,775 times)

Nightlord

Nightlord

spoiler has images

[close]
What did everyone think of going with this?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I had a peek on youtube just before seeing this thread.

Spoiler
I like what they've done there. I especially enjoyed a few of the details being 1:1 lifted from Destroying Angels.
[close]

VeteranSergeant

VeteranSergeant

Honestly, kinda cool visually, but terrible from a gameplay standpoint being that there's basically no challenge to it so you're just playing through an extended cutscene, and the story
Spoiler
behind Sergeant Harper using the Force and then dying of sadness like Luke Skywalker was...
[close]
not good.  Wasn't a huge fan of the Giant Slug Alien, but I'm also not upset about it. It's just a Video Game Final Boss.

That city should have been it's own real mission though, rather than just Maeko stealing the show to Main Character for a bit again
Spoiler
with Captain Expendable and Sergeant Oh That Guy who nothing bad could possibly be about to happen to them to walk around talking to a bunch of creepy Marlow synths
[close]
. I mean, honestly, it's almost a setup for its own own game story, like cancerblack mentioned above, it lifts some elements from the old Dark Horse comics.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Yeah I was surprised that there's pretty much not any tactics involved in this last mission, more or less a big cutscene where you run around and use two of your abilities from the rest of the game.

Some of the creative choices I kinda dug and I'm honestly surprised they got approval for...

Spoiler
Essentially going with the original style of Space Jockeys and having no elements from the prequels included. Having this ending definitely makes the game feel like the older style of EU, yet it still includes some modern elements like mentions from the RPG and Isolation (though Isolation also felt like old EU).

Add to that the larger eggs specifically for their size, as well as the ancient city being a source for the Xenos proper, it pretty much makes the game's lore incompatible with the prequels. Even the design language of the ancient city doesn't incorporate the aesthetic of Prometheus/Covenant at all like Fireteam Elite did.
[close]

Also took some screenshots from the last mission:

Spoiler

Don't know how I feel about the design for the Jockey Alien, or Xeno Titan as they call it, but this whole mission really reminded me of Destroying Angels.
[close]

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jul 05, 2023, 10:36:07 PMYeah I was surprised that there's pretty much not any tactics involved in this last mission, more or less a big cutscene where you run around and use two of your abilities from the rest of the game.

Some of the creative choices I kinda dug and I'm honestly surprised they got approval for...

Spoiler
Essentially going with the original style of Space Jockeys and having no elements from the prequels included. Having this ending definitely makes the game feel like the older style of EU, yet it still includes some modern elements like mentions from the RPG and Isolation (though Isolation also felt like old EU).

Add to that the larger eggs specifically for their size, as well as the ancient city being a source for the Xenos proper, it pretty much makes the game's lore incompatible with the prequels. Even the design language of the ancient city doesn't incorporate the aesthetic of Prometheus/Covenant at all like Fireteam Elite did.
[close]

Spoiler

Don't know how I feel about the design for the Jockey Alien, or Xeno Titan as they call it, but this whole mission really reminded me of Destroying Angels.
[close]

I started to play Fireteam Elite this week, and I'm loving it but one of my complaints (it's not the games fault) is the Prometheus style of the Space Jockey ship. This makes me appreciate more Dark Descent to go more into a old school Alien universe, I hope that future Alien games or media takes this direction.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jul 05, 2023, 10:36:07 PMYeah I was surprised that there's pretty much not any tactics involved in this last mission, more or less a big cutscene where you run around and use two of your abilities from the rest of the game.

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
It actually copies 1:1 from Destroying Angels in a few little details and I love that it does.

I have more issue with the jockey skeleton design than the big boss critter, it's just a bit naff. The boss does some weird stuff design-wise but I prefer to have some risks taken than not.

The Big Eggs I do like the textures for and the general concept of but the specific size and petal stuff is, eh.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

*Added spoiler tags to the thread title. No need to add tags within specific posts.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 06, 2023, 07:38:06 AMIt actually copies 1:1 from Destroying Angels in a few little details and I love that it does.

Yeah, I saw a lot of that in the background design of the city. I really was just  :o looking at all the background elements. It was the same joy and wonder of reading through Destroying Angels for the first time.

As someone who does actually like the Engineers, but wishes they'd make them separate to the Jockeys - I absolutely loved the implications of the final mission. I'm not too sure on the designs of them in those weird tower things. Just seems a little too blank in the face, but I dig the concept of them having no legs which we see in the Titan too.

Kradan

Spoiler
Why mandibles tho ?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

No idea. I thought that was a strange design choice.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 06, 2023, 10:29:19 AM
Spoiler
Why mandibles tho ?
[close]

An interesting detail you don't really notice at first, but the lower mandibles also serve as the lower mandibles on the inner jaw.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: bobby brown on Jul 06, 2023, 12:11:24 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 06, 2023, 10:29:19 AM
Spoiler
Why mandibles tho ?
[close]

An interesting detail you don't really notice at first, but the lower mandibles also serve as the lower mandibles on the inner jaw.

That's what redeemed the whole thing for me tbh.

Still Collating...

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Make as much shots of this level as possible and please upload them to the sites gallery! ;D

Samhain13

Another ancient alien race that has breeding xenos and has a biomechanical design on their apperance and architecture... reminded me of canine species from AVP Rage War. Clearly they remind of the original space jockey but with different body proportions so its meant to be another species I'm assuming. Weird.

So there was been multiple biomechanical species that have places where they were overrun by xenos. Huh. Also canon? Let's make it all fit.

Gameplay last level was shit. Pretty much every time you need to play with Maeko is shit, boring level, boring "final boss" running sequence, plo  of Harper using super power to save his bald daughter which kills him. Wat.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 08, 2023, 11:14:30 PMbut with different body proportions so its meant to be another species I'm assuming. Weird.

I think it's just stylistic choice, and they're supposed to be jockies.

Still Collating...

Exactly, I don't know how people are getting this mixed up. I'm not trying to be mean, obviously it is confusing for people since I know a lot on the Discord also first jump to the idea that it's another species. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since we've been fed the Prometheus Engineers visuals for so long that people are confused when they see something closer to the original. I mean, the clearly Space Jockey city texture, the creatures themselves have a long trunk, big skull head, ribbed body, long arms, fused to the scene. If that's not the Space Jockey, I don't know what is.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed