Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 183,516 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 03:59:48 AM
It is Disney...

But...

It's current year and Blade Runner Blackout, 2049, Love Death and Robots, Annihilation, Black Mirror, Cyberpunk 2077, Under the Skin, Moon, Fury Road, Dredd, The Witch, NBC's Hannibal, The Skin I Live in and Raw exist though!

Hope exists.

Now. lol

Movies like Under The Skin, Ex Machina, Snowpiercer, etc. can achieve a different type of success, cult success, as opposed to being total box-office smashes. These movies were also way lower budget, with the exception of Blade Runner 2049, which although was a box office failure, may pay off in the very long run given its high reputation, just like the original. I do think the Alien franchise could use lower budgeted projects, as Prometheus and Covenant were both too bloated in production and marketing.

I do think you're seeing way more creative risk-taking on streaming platforms such as Netflix these days, which is likely one of the reasons why that market has been eating into cinemas as much as it is. Problem is, Alien is a big franchise, with lots of different expectations for it. If they want to do something heady and experimental, they should likely do so with a lower budget and potentially on a streaming platform.

If they want a box office smash? Aliens 2 would probably be the way to go at this point as many were burned out on the pompous nature of the prequels. Also, I don't think Aliens 2 automatically means such a film will lack sophistication entirely.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 10:56:35 PM
A first causality announced about an hour ago likely related to the Disney takeover.

The Predator community ap is closing, and moving to web based.

Excellent. I really hate that TopFan platform.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 21, 2019, 02:09:16 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 02:04:45 AM
Fury Road's a crowdpleaser.

Crowdpleaser ≠ plebeian.

Good example, it's certainly ideal to have a movie that's both crowd-pleasing and well-crafted.

And Aliens isn't "plebeian" either. (Your British is showing.) Nor would Blomkamp sequel automatically be. I'm still not sold on it myself but come on, folk, let's give up with the Chicken Little assumptions. Disney owning Fox does not equate to the death of our franchise. There's no need to work yourselves up into a worry.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.
Neill Blomkamp's proposal is, though.

SiL

You got a hold of the whole treatment? Sweet, can you share it?

The Old One

The Old One

Shaka, When the Walls Fell.

SiL

I don't speak Star Trek quotes.

The Old One

The Old One

The beast at Tanagra.

SiL

Is there a reason you're avoiding having any kind of actual conversation?

Corporal Hicks

Let's not be difficult, please.

The point is you don't actually know what Blomkamp's treatment/script actually looked like. To offer any definitive, absolute opinion is pointless because there's no basis for one.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 21, 2019, 12:21:24 PM
The point is you don't actually know what Blomkamp's treatment/script actually looked like. To offer any definitive, absolute opinion is pointless because there's no basis for one.
This ^.

The Old One

The Old One

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tamarian_language

Shaka, When the Walls Fell. = Failure.

The beast at Tanagra. = A concern to rectify.

The idea of retconning Aliens and Alien³ so a family return is a plebeian proposal.

SiL

Thanks for clarifying, but neither of those things are really responses to what I actually said. And, like I said -- I don't speak Star Trek quotes, I prefer conversations in English (And broken French and the occasional mutilated Russian exchange).

A monster on a spaceship killing a hapless crew one-by-one is also a plebeian proposal, that doesn't mean you can't make a good film out of it.

The Old One

The Old One

"You got a hold of the whole treatment? Sweet, can you share it?"

"Shaka, When the Walls Fell." = Failure/No/Negative.

"I don't speak Star Trek quotes."

"The beast at Tanagra." = A concern to rectify.

I disagree, Alien's inception is unique.

SiL

Quote"I don't speak Star Trek quotes."

"The beast at Tanagra." = A concern to rectify.
"I don't speak Star Trek quotes."

"[continues speaking in Star Trek quotes]"

Tad frustrating, you must understand :laugh:

I've seen far more monster on a spaceship movies than I have "retcon a franchise mid-stream and only ignore select entries", so in terms of what's more base -- Alien still takes the cake. ;D

It's the execution that elevates.

... I don't think Blomkamp himself would be capable of elevating it based on his track record, but few ideas are truly hopeless. This isn't one of them, much as I dislike it. A good film could be made of the idea.

LtJesseRipley

"You blow, I'll do the fingering."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed