Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 183,514 times)

SiL

OK, fine -- English, broken French, mutilated Russian exchanges and Alien franchise quotes ;D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 21, 2019, 01:05:18 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 10:56:35 PM
A first causality announced about an hour ago likely related to the Disney takeover.

The Predator community ap is closing, and moving to web based.

That App was pretty dead anyway, since a while after The Predator came out. Can't remember the last updates.

On the official news article side of the Official Predator Ap, agreed, no updates, because there hasn't been any new news.

But on the community tab, you couldn't be more wrong brother. That tab is always been hopping, daily. Check it out youself.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SiL on Mar 21, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
... I don't think Neill Blomkamp himself would be capable of elevating it based on his track record,
but few ideas are truly hopeless. This isn't one of them, much as I dislike it. A good film could be made of the idea.

Perfect-Organism

The problem with your argumentation in all of this The Old One is that you're treating any of these films as if they were written based on someone's initial vision of where the story should go.  It is as if you think that retconning something interferes with some sort of sacred golden path.  That is not the case.  Every instalment has been patchwork.  Aliens was exceptionally good in that overall palimpsest of a story.  The overall story never achieved that height of brilliance since that moment, even with the instalment of 6 films.

Alien 3 does not reflect the original intent of the series any more than any of the other films.  It is just somebody's interpretation of where things could go.  It was a film made, ad hoc, so that the studio could cash in on the success of the previous film's success.  It wasn't about respecting some grand design.  They just wanted to throw some more violence on the screen and close up the circle.

Likely, the studio figured that there weren't enough sophisticated people interested in the series, and they were happy to put out a simple, relatively inexpensive slasher film to cash in.  That's plebeian right there for you.

Retconning would actually show a level of care about the brilliant continuity that went before it.  It will bring in the masses to the theatre, granted, but it would also appeal to an audience that has a more discerning taste and sensibility.  ...always assuming that the film is good.  Nobody can judge that because none of us actually knows the story... presumably.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 21, 2019, 03:15:26 PM
The problem with your argumentation in all of this The Old One is that you're treating any of these films as if they were written based on someone's initial vision of where the story should go.

Incorrect assumption.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 21, 2019, 03:15:26 PM
Retconning would actually show a level of care about the brilliant continuity that went before it. 
It will bring in the masses to the theatre, granted, but it would also appeal to an audience
that has a more discerning taste and sensibility

No, the reverse.

Perfect-Organism

The Old One.  I think you're all right and I respect your opinions.  But we're never going to agree on these points.

How do I explain myself better?  This is not Harry Potter where one person had a vision and carried it through to the end with a series of books that were a product of her own vision and her imagination alone.  The series of films are more or less an exact representation of that vision, as they should be.  It is because there was "intent" from the get go.  There was a blueprint.  If you were to say it is wrong to retcon a Harry Potter film and go off on a different tangent, I would say you're right.  That does not apply to the Aliens series.

Do you honestly think that Alien 3 reflects the original vision of Scott, Giler, Hill, O'Bannon, or even Giger from 1979?  It's a random story that can be spun a thousand different ways.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 21, 2019, 05:11:27 PM
The Old One.  I think you're all right and I respect your opinions.  But we're never going to agree on these points.

How do I explain myself better?  This is not Harry Potter where one person had a vision and carried it through to the end with a series of books that were a product of her own vision and her imagination alone.  The series of films are more or less an exact representation of that vision, as they should be.  It is because there was "intent" from the get go.  There was a blueprint.  If you were to say it is wrong to retcon a Harry Potter film and go off on a different tangent, I would say you're right.  That does not apply to the Aliens series.

Do you honestly think that Alien 3 reflects the original vision of Scott, Giler, Hill, O'Bannon, or even Giger from 1979?  It's a random story that can be spun a thousand different ways.

You make some good points.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, as much as Alien and Aliens.

Huggs

Alien 3 is more alien than aliens.

Local Trouble

Except for the complete lack of suspense.

Voodoo Magic

Local in with da smackdown!!

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 21, 2019, 06:09:30 PM
Except for the complete lack of suspense.

Or the theme park atmosphere of Cameron's film.

The Old One

The Old One

Quantify it.

To myself, all three films have none but all three immerse me in their atmosphere, I completely believe them and it's over before I know it. Especially the third.

If you're talking about making me nervous or on edge, Possession (1982) takes the cake.

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 06:14:44 PM
Quantify suspense.

The music is scarier  ;)

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 21, 2019, 06:12:18 PM
Local in with da smackdown!!

Misses. Trips. Falls out window. Lands in manure truck.  ;D

Voodoo Magic

Aliens is light years better than Alien3... 4,000 to be exact.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed