Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 186,452 times)

Scorpio

The bad word of mouth was because of fans mad that it isn't Aliens.

PierreVW

Quote from: Magegg on Dec 07, 2017, 03:56:41 AM
I'd like Disney to reboot Alien and Predator and create a cool and integrated new universe, focusing more in the science fiction aspect than in horror. They could develop some cool mythology for the series, I'd love it.

Disney isn't capable of making 3 masterpieces: Alien(1979), Aliens and Predator(1987).

All Disney Marvel and Disney Star Wars are mediocre in terms of quality.

SM

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Dec 08, 2017, 03:45:27 AM
Alien Covenant didn't make much money due to mixed word of mouth. Make good movies, you make good money out of them. Mad Max 4, Deadpool, Kingsman, John Wick and a few others did really well at the box office due to good word of mouth and good marketing. Alien Covenant had good marketing, but mixed word of mouth.

They just need to make a good movie again.

Fury Road budget to grosses ratio was almost the same as Covenant.

Whos_Nick

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 08, 2017, 04:29:24 AM

I'm sorry but fans don't make these kinds of movies successful, but whatever you want to keep telling yourself.

monkeylove

Adult content should not be a problem for Disney as Miramax produced films containing that.

Miramax

Alionic

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 08, 2017, 05:22:06 AM

I'm sorry but fans don't make these kinds of movies successful, but whatever you want to keep telling yourself.

Almost every youtuber "fan" had a meltdown like you over the lack of an action movie out of Covenant. Youtubers are more effective at spreading word of mouth than critics by far.

Whos_Nick

judge death

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 08, 2017, 09:36:38 AM
Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 08, 2017, 05:22:06 AM

Almost every youtuber "fan" had a meltdown like you over the lack of an action movie out of Covenant. Youtubers are more effective at spreading word of mouth than critics by far.
Yep, saw angry joe and some other youtubers who said they are fans and yet they only talked about they wanted a aliens movie with marines and action and the whole black goo and davids experimental copy of the xeno was then mistaken as david created the original xenomorphs and then ranted on how the queen fits in etc, while myself who reads the novels and everything had no such issues. But yes: most so called fans only wants Aliens part 2.

Quote from: monkeylove on Dec 08, 2017, 06:58:09 AM
Adult content should not be a problem for Disney as Miramax produced films containing that.

Miramax
None of the movies they made have a dark or sinister themes or created one single horror movie classic like the thing or jaws etc. Most likely they make a action movie like pulp fiction mixed with how they remade the star wars world and movies. Sigh.

monkeylove

Quote from: judge death on Dec 08, 2017, 06:50:31 PM
None of the movies they made have a dark or sinister themes or created one single horror movie classic like the thing or jaws etc. Most likely they make a action movie like pulp fiction mixed with how they remade the star wars world and movies. Sigh.

Pulp Fiction is good enough, together with Kill Bill and others.

judge death

Quote from: monkeylove on Dec 09, 2017, 03:35:28 AM

Pulp Fiction is good enough, together with Kill Bill and others.
For action movies yes but horror and dark themed and gore alien movies I highly doubt that.

monkeylove

Quote from: judge death on Dec 09, 2017, 08:26:20 AM
For action movies yes but horror and dark themed and gore alien movies I highly doubt that.

Those action movies involve gore, excessive violence, and ideas more complex than horror, such as absurdity. Add to this the diversity of fare released by that outfit, and it would be very easy to come up with simple fare like those in the Alien franchise.

Kurai

It's cognitive dissonance, until a Disney owned R-rated Alien is released, very few will actually bother to look further than the "Disney is for kids" stereotype.

I mean a simple example to try and get folks to understand is putting the Punisher movies next to the Disney owned Punisher Netflix series, for kids, right?

Gate

Remember when everyone was afraid that Disney wouldn't keep the serious Star Wars undertones?

Perfect-Organism

Has anyone seen the recent Punisher series on Netflix?  That is a Disney property.  There should be no worries about Disney.... unless you're trying to start your own company off the ground to compete with them, in which case, you're screwed.

OpenMaw

No. Not even remotely so.

Yep, saw angry joe and some other youtubers who said they are fans and yet they only talked about they wanted a aliens movie with marines and action and the whole black goo and davids experimental copy of the xeno was then mistaken as david created the original xenomorphs and then ranted on how the queen fits in etc, while myself who reads the novels and everything had no such issues. But yes: most so called fans only wants Aliens part 2.

That isn't what Angry Joe said at all. His primary complaint was that it completely torpedoed the mystery of the Alien and made it, essentially, a non-Alien science experiment. His complaints against the film had nothing to do with it not being another Aliens. In point of fact he said it felt like the movie couldn't make up it's mind on which side of the fence it wanted to be.

So no. You guys can stop trying to pin the success or failure on this supposed swarm of fans who hated A:C because it wasn't "Aliens 2." There is no such beast. You're talking about a very small minority of the fan base, and the fan base AS A WHOLE still isn't an effective number of people to hold to having that kind of effectiveness against the box office. No movie is made "for the fans." They're made to be consumed by millions of people who may never have even seen a film before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed