All Ridley Scott

Started by Immortan Jonesy, May 13, 2020, 10:57:35 PM

Author
All Ridley Scott (Read 25,380 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 12, 2024, 04:20:20 PMThe irony...

Though the man does pack a vineyard with some very fine wines...

We'll know the day he mixes his Coca-Cola with one of those wines, for the day shall be marked by the announcement of a new AVP movie.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

An interesting bit of info I found in Stone: The Controversies, Excesses, and Exploits of a Radical Filmmaker by James Riordan. Scott was approached to direct Oliver Stone's batshit insane draft of Conan the Barbarian.

QuoteSince the studio wouldn't accept Stone as director, Pressman approached Ridley Scott. Scott was enthusiastic, and Stone wrote the project with him in mind. Though he liked Stone's first draft, Scott then became interested in doing another film instead.

"Ridley Scott backed out at the last second," Stone elaborates. "I begged him not to. I went down on my knees to him. This was after he made The Duelists. Alien was finished, but we hadn't seen it yet. He said yes, and then he said no. It broke our hearts when he decided to do Blade Runner instead."

Going by the time frame, I'm guessing he backed off Conan for the same reasons he quit Dune, not wanting to deal with the large scale production after his brother's death.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Bloody hell! I didn't know that. If only ...

First Conan is one of my fav movies ever. He can still make The Legend of Conan ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 27, 2024, 04:50:26 AMAn interesting bit of info I found in Stone: The Controversies, Excesses, and Exploits of a Radical Filmmaker by James Riordan. Scott was approached to direct Oliver Stone's batshit insane draft of Conan the Barbarian.

QuoteSince the studio wouldn't accept Stone as director, Pressman approached Ridley Scott. Scott was enthusiastic, and Stone wrote the project with him in mind. Though he liked Stone's first draft, Scott then became interested in doing another film instead.

"Ridley Scott backed out at the last second," Stone elaborates. "I begged him not to. I went down on my knees to him. This was after he made The Duelists. Alien was finished, but we hadn't seen it yet. He said yes, and then he said no. It broke our hearts when he decided to do Blade Runner instead."

Going by the time frame, I'm guessing he backed off Conan for the same reasons he quit Dune, not wanting to deal with the large scale production after his brother's death.

Never knew that. Nice bit of digging!

QuoteOliver Stone had plans for a four-hour, $40 million Conan the Barbarian with Ridley Scott at the helm. But John Milius had very different ideas.

Some more info here:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/post-apocalyptic-conan-the-barbarian-oliver-stone-never-got/

QuoteStone's one hope was a "British newcomer from the world of commercials," Ridley Scott, who had caught Stone's eye with his 1977 historical drama debut, The Duellists. Pinning his hopes on Scott, Stone traveled to London with Pressman to discuss the project with the English director, who had expressed an interest. However, Scott was busy finishing Alien at the time and told them that there was "something else" he was keen to work on next. That something else was Blade Runner, of course.

I think that "something else" might have been Dune rather.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I do have to wonder if Scott could have made anything coherent out of that script, though. It's pretty wild and rambling.

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 27, 2024, 08:25:12 AMBloody hell! I didn't know that. If only ...

First Conan is one of my fav movies ever. He can still make The Legend of Conan ;D

You and me both - and, I wish.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Legend of Conan would be difficult to make now, since Von Sydow had a very prominent role in the script.

Ingwar

Ingwar

That's probably the least significant factor. Just use another actor :)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Regarding Driver playing Italians

QuoteTaking these roles one after the other is "a good example of not being strategic in a way that I probably should" in his career, Driver told hosts Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett. "So many people have been like, 'How many Italians... ?' I'm like, it's just kind of worked out that way. But I'm like, you know, it's Ridley and it's Michael, and they're, in my mind, some of the best filmmakers. Who gives a shit that it was two Italians back to back?"

The Oscar-nominated performer said that he's unlikely to play another Italian man after all the conversation surrounding his dual performances. "I'm surprised how much it comes up. It's like, 'You have a thing,' and I'm like, 'It's two! It's two Italians!'" Driver said. "It's just two. The press isn't a place where you have a nuanced conversation."

He added, "That seems like a hard idea. Like, 'What is it with Italy?' I mean, it's less to do with Italy, although I like it. It's more about Ridley Scott and Michael Mann and the projects themselves. Italy is not the first thing on my mind."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/adam-driver-defends-his-right-to-play-two-famous-italians-who-gives-a-s-t

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Interview with Ridley Scott conducted by Germany's DW posted a couple of months ago. He talks about his early life as an army brat, how he partially financed The Duelist  himself, how Moebius made him take on Alien and his love for Westerns among many other things:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Love for Westerns? And yet he hasn't made any >:(

This interview is from 2012/2013 as he mentions preparation for Cormac McCarthy's screenplay (The Counselor).

I didn't know that Giger lived in the pub while shooting Alien :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on May 03, 2024, 05:17:53 PMLove for Westerns? And yet he hasn't made any >:(

This interview is from 2012/2013 as he mentions preparation for Cormac McCarthy's screenplay (The Counselor).

I didn't know that Giger lived in the pub while shooting Alien :)

I was just starting to think it might have been an older interview. It was uploaded 2 months ago to YouTube but obviously it's just DW recycling a much older interview.

Yeah, Giger was quite happy to stay above the pub. They offered him beter accommodations but he refused.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

I wonder how Ridley feels about his masterpiece topping box office again in 2024?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote[David] Twohy, who wrote and directed the previous three "Riddick" films, just completed writing the financial thriller "Big Dogs," to be directed by Ridley Scott.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/vin-diesel-riddick-furya-production-august-1235993037/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed